Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Multicultural/ multi-racial LDRs... what issues have you had?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Moon View Post
    Haha! They do! When I'm sitting in a Helsinki bar, and speaking my brand of American accented English to my very obviously Finnish BF, I notice people watching and trying to listen As the hours wear on and people start getting drunk, I end up in some very interesting conversations! I'm not much for being the center of attention, but by midnight-ish in Finland, I have no choice
    I always notice people watching and trying to listen to us as well.. Especially at home in northern Finland because there are not many foreigns there. Must feel like being in a zoo. Luckily Turku is more international. I can imagine people being superinterested in you because so many people here are interested in anything American in general.. It's true that it takes them some time and way too many drinks to show it though.

Comment

Originally posted by uniquefem View Post
      To be honest, its not really comfortable to had a caucasian boyfriend in Indonesia. Because they will talk about you like you are a prostitute. In some of cities they still had this negative generalization about caucasian male and their local girl friend.

Sad to say, yes most of girls who had the caucasian bf here are the gold diggers bar girls, or some girls who just want some fun-nothing serious. Even its hard to convince my mom, and my family first time i had a caucasian bf long time ago.
      There are so many races in Singapore and multi-racial couples are not uncommon, but people still put asian/caucasian couples under this stereotype at first glance. /: But if they knew the story behind the couple, it's acceptable. Idk. Singaporeans are way too judgy.

I'm 4th generation Singaporean Chinese. We still have a lot of the Chinese culture and traditions, but Singapore is very westernized, so we have a lot of the western mindset as well. I'm fluent in both English and Mandarin, and was brought up in a family where filial piety is important, but still encouraged to make our own decisions.

My boyfriend is Caucasian but the only real issues we've had were because we didn't see how important something was to the other person. Like..There would be something I felt strongly about/against and he wouldn't even care. Other than that, my extended family (especially the older generation) might not be supportive of the relationship. They would see it as him "taking me away from my family". I haven't told them yet, but I will have to sometime this year.

Comment

I'm I guess you'd call Asian-American. I was born in China and came to the states when I was eight. Been here 12.5 yrs, going on 13. Therefore, my mindset is pretty damn western. He and I actually come from the same province in China, but he's grown up in China all his life. Surprisingly, aside from my adamant feminism, we're not that different in mindset-its either I'm still very traditional Chinese, or he's rather Western. Hopefully the later, which means he'll eventually fit in well here if he decides to come.

It hasn't caused much fuss among friends. Friends who know just think its an interesting oddity that his girlfriend who looks and talks like the rest of them is also fluent in English. My friends here, only one has met him, so not that much of an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by 13000km View Post
          They would see it as him "taking me away from my family". I haven't told them yet, but I will have to sometime this year.
          That was exactly the first thought coming to my mom thought!! hahaha

She said like.. oh if you marry him thats means i had to visit you abroad!! have you ever thought delivering baby in country you don't know? do you think you brave enough?

Oh.. God!!

Its hard enough with same culture and races... or language... but you can not choose to whom you falling love with...

Love him because his different accent.. and strange way to do things.. hehehe

Comment

I'm good old white-American and he's Costa Rican. I don't have any problems here. I mean I feel like USA people are pretty used to seeing interracial couples. That and he's so light he just looks white here! haha

In Costa Rica he notices that people stare a little more. But I don't. I wonder if he just sort of makes up the "stares" because he thinks people should. Ya know? Like most of my exs have been black and they would always say people were looking at us, but I never noticed... anyways...

Culturally we don't have lots of differences. But I do always forget to say "buen provecho" which basically means "enjoy your meal". In the USA we don't say anything before we eat, and in Costa Rica it's rude not to say anything. I'm trying to get in the habit of doing it but it's hard!

Comment

I'm Irish Canadian, and my SO is full Mexican.
              In Toronto (my hometown), walking in th street is no problem, as there are a LOT of interracial couples here. Gotta love a big city. However, he is in Kelowna BC, much smaller, and with the majority of the population being older and white... We get a lot of dirty looks from people there when we are off campus...
              I haven't been close to my dad's side of the family, most of the I haven't seen in years. Recently, my grandmother pased away, so of course we all got together again. After all the time away, all they could say to me was "Hmm, so you're dating a Mexican eh? Be very careful, they are all horrible womanizers." *insert dissaproving glare*
              That absolutely disgusts me. My boyfriend is the most honest guy I've ever met. All you can say after you don't even make an effort to see me for years, is to make nasty, racist comments about my love?
              This kind of bs really gets to me. Race should have NOTHING to do with who you love.

"In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd."
              -Miguel De Cervantes

Read our story HERE
              \

Comment

I'm Italian-American and he's Nicaraguan. On my end, there's really no big issues. I've always dated Hispanic guys as our two cultures seem to mesh well. Although he is the first guy I've been with who speaks no English, so that may at some point pose a challenge if I introduce him to my family. I live in New York City, in the most diverse county in the US, so if he were to ever come here I'm pretty sure he'd feel okay. This is a city of immigrants and multicultural relationships are no big deal.

In Nicaragua, it's a little different. While I was there, I had the experience of being mistaken for being Nicaraguan a lot- I have dark hair/eyes and olive skin. When we're together, we don't necessarily stand out as a foreigner/local couple- people much more notice skin tone. He's dark skinned and I'm light (referred to as chela in Nicaragua). Well, when we got together, a lot of his friends and even some of his family were saying how great it was that he got with a chela. So (according to them) if we have kids, they would hopefully take after me and not come out dark...it's just seen as negative even tho to me it is just some really backwards ass thinking. I got so tired of hearing all the "chela, chela" comments.

Comment

Working...
                X