Disappointment about college formal dance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disappointment about college formal dance

Tonight there was this Winter Formal, that kind of college dances that I've always see on TV in American movies. Even if I'm a bit old for these kinds of events, I went.
    I've only went to one formal dance before, the Homecoming dance in Utah, last semester. My SO was there, and I loved it! Tonight I went but, as you can imagine, it was really disappointing. I felt sad, very sad. I wanted to cry. Actually, I did. This is my first semester here and even though I was with "friends", I cannot really call them friends, as I don't even remember their names! They are simply people I have lunch or dinner with, and we did the orientation together. The party was crap, we went to a dorm to drink something but I wasn't in the right mood to drink. They were going to a pub after, but I didn't want to wait more so I left and I came bac to my room. I switched on my computer and logged in Skype, waiting for my SO to be online.
    I don't know if it is normal, but I miss him so much and my eyes are full of tears. I'm so sad...
    How do you handle parties and firends? I've read some posts about people being "scared" of their SO going to a party. In my case, I don't want to go to any party!

I think I would be rather sad in this situation as well. Mostly for me its hard to see happy couples together, cuddling, holding hands, kisses...I tend to feel a bit jealous. But it helps that my SO always reminds me to have confidence, accept my situation, and try my best to see the bright side of things. However, where this a party party without couples, I think I would do ok. Its just the couples for me.

I'm not protective of him to not let him go to parties. But he kind of isn't the partying type anyways. Once a month his work will have an employees party karaoke and such, and other than that sometimes he goes drinking with guy friends. I don't know, I just don't see parties as a problem. I see it more of-he gets to have fun and relax a little, given how much he works.

Comment

We always want to share events with our SO,so yeah I totally understand that you were sad that he wasnt there.

I think maybe in this situation because it was a "formal 'couples' event" it was really sad seeing everyone else with their loved ones whilst yours is far away. But I think general parties, with friends where you can have a laugh and kick back will be easier.

But at the same time dont go to anything you dont want to!

I went to a Wedding without my SO, right after our first visit. It was great fun but I was a third wheel with everyone in my group. Even my friend who was single was hooking up so whatever happened I was left alone! But I tried not to focus on it too much, just enjoyed and celebrated in my friends happiness (and mentally stole ideas for my own wedding!)

What about if you host your own party? Make it fun, not just about drinking. Have games and lots of candy! Something unique that people will remember and allow you to have fun.
      Tea and hugs make the world go round - don't ever discount the little things in life.

Smiling away to oneself brings an obscene amount of joy when only you know the reason why your smiling. Pick something secret to smile about and let it light up your face all day long!

And remember....Love really IS all around.

Comment

Working...
      X