Parents Meeting!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parents Meeting!!!

Today is the day. In a couple of hours I'm leaving for my family's place and later tonight my boyfriend, his mum and her bf are arriving there. They'll all meet with my mum (long story, but "my family's place" is the house where my brother lives - alone) tomorrow.

Not only will my boyfriend meet my mum but our mums are meeting, too.
    My grandpa is celebrating his 80th birthday on Saturday, so my boyfriend is going to meet the rest of my family, too.

I'm soo excited. And nervous. God. My boyfriend speaks some German, but his mum doesn't. My mum doesn't know any Polish at all and none of them speaks English. Aaaah.

Please, someone tell me that they've done this before and that it was easy and fun!!
    I'm totally nervous about all of this.

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Thats awesome!:-D Its Ok, maybe you or your SO can be the translator!:-D Im the translator for my mum and SO..My mum doesnt speak english, while my SO is still learning Malay language..:-D

Comment

My boyfriend hardly speaks enough to translate. It'll be up to me to play interpreter for everyone and I'm really hopeless at interpreting. Speaking is no problem, but when it comes to the whole "Ask them if"/"Tell them that"/"What did they say about" I'm useless. Especially, when there's more than one person invovled. I always end up speaking to someone in a language they don't understand and wondering why they look at me weirdly.

Comment

So I have no experience in this..just wanted to say thats awesome they are meeting. My parents and his havent met yet but hey in due time. He did come down for my Grandparents 50th Wedding anniversary which was sweet and he met my entire family so close enough for now :P Hope it all goes well for you!
        " Love don't run....Love don't hide...Love don't turn away or back down from a fight.
        Baby I'm right here..and I and going anywhere"

Mitch and Stephanie July 14, 2011

Comment

Wow, it's going to be interesting! I perfectly understand the feeling of playing the role of translator. It happened to me to switch between 3 languages (none is my 1st language) in the same conversation! It's not easy at all!
          But in this case, mums are involved! Mums love their kids, and I'm sure that seeing you guys happy, smiling, holding your hands, will be enought to answer many questions!
          At the moment I've just seen some pictures of my SO's family. I'll probably visit him/them in summer, at I hope that at that time I will be able to speak a bit of German!
          Kuss ;-)

Comment

Good luck, you'll do fine! Looking forward to hearing how it went
            Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

I'm already at my bro's place now, my mum was here earlier (we had a missunderstanding and my mum AND my brother came to pick me up at the station - oops) and we prepared the beds and everything.
              My boyfriend, his mum and her bf have been driving for a few hours already and they're going to arrive in about 3 hours. I'm dead tired, but if I go to sleep now, they'll have to ring the doorbell and would wake up my brother and his girlfriend (who both have to work and get up early tomorrow). Plus I probably wouldn't be able to sleep anyway.
              We're going to go here(my boyfriend's a huge nerd for trains) tomorrow and my mum said she'd come with us That's probably a really cool idea, since "ohh how cool" or "look at this" can be pretty easily be communicated.

*update: My mum just wrote me a text, that she's not coming with us tomorrow
              I sort of understand her, she has a day off and wants to spend it with her boyfriend... so right now I don't know when they'll actually meet. I'd like it to be before the birthday brunch on Saturday. Eh.
              Last edited by Dziubka; February 24, 2011, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Our parents haven't met but they've communicated through emails. Both my parents speak English well enough (super thick accent and grammar is hard), but when my boyfriend and I skyped with my grandma, they barely said anything to each other but were smiling and nodding the whole time. She only speaks and understands Chinese, and although he is learning Mandarin now, he's still not able to understand her or say something in Mandarin she'll understand yet.

Hmm, you should ask your mum to bring her boyfriend to the train place too!

Comment

That's awesome!!!!! Good luck with the language barrier

Comment

Thanks for yall reassuring words.
                    We had such a great day together!
                    My mum sent me a text this morning, that she had decided to come with us after all. She came here for breakfast this morning with her boyfriend and then he went home and we all went to this miniature place together and afterwards visited an aunt of my boyfriend who lives in Hamburg.
                    It was amazing. There was a language barrier sometimes, but overall we all enjoyed it very much and our mums really like each other.
                    When we got home tonight they also got to know my brother
                    It was just a really nice atmosphere. I'm soooo glad it went that well.

Tomorrow he's meeting my grandparents and my brother's girlfriend (and like one million other relatives, but those are like whatever. I mean *I* don't even know them).

Comment

I'm glad that everything went well.. it sounds like you guys had a blast. Congrats on the great time!

Comment

Sorry for bumping this all the time, but I neeed to share.

He met the rest of my family yesterday on my grandpa's birthday and when we got home we spent the evening/night playing rummikub and Monopoly and drinking Whiskey with my brother and his girlfriend
                        He got along with everyone and my grandparents loved him too.
                        I'm so proud of him and my family. Everyone did so well and was sooo nice, despite the cultural and linguistic differences.
                        My boyfriend was surprised to see that actually no vodka was served at a birthday party

We're actually considering coming up for a weekend when he'll be staying with me for 3 weeks in August.

Unfortunately he already went back home at noon today, but we'll see each other in three weeks and then I'm staying there for 5 weeks. YAY!!
                        Last edited by Dziubka; February 27, 2011, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X