LDR with little no communication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LDR with little no communication

My SO is deciding to take some time off of college and he's going to Ecuador. However the program he is going to is in the middle of nowhere. He will be a day boat ride from any town for at least the 1st 10 weeks and then depending on where he gets a job it will vary. I'm not saying he wont have any communication but it will be minimum, we haven't figured that out yet. He is planning to be there for 7 months - year. Is anyone else in a similar situation and have any advice?
    Like can this work at all?
    We talked about staying together, we have currently been dating 2 year ( as of tomorrow ), and he really does want to try and make this work. But i didn't quite think it would be as distant.
    Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Will he have a cell phone? For the first 2 months of me and my SO being apart, he had no internet access so I just paid on skype and rebtel to call his cell phone. It was pricey so we only talked like every other day for 15 minutes. Now he can go to a cyber cafe almost every night so it's better. But honestly, it wasn't AWFUL before. It wasn't the most ideal situation but it's doable.

Comment

as of right now a cell phone is not looking very likely. He's waiting to hear more information about the place. But i'm thinking just a landline phone, but not sure about that. I'm kinda going crazy not knowing what is going on and whats going to happen

Comment

I think once you figure out how often the two of you will be able to be in contact you will feel a lot better. It'll be hard, no doubt, but if the two of you want to be together I know you can make things work. I know 7 months-year sounds like a long time now, but really that time will pass quicker than you think.

Comment

Well even with just a landline, you can still use skype to call him. You either do pay as you go or get a subscription. Depending on how much y'all would talk depends on which would be best for you. Even if you don't have a phone at all, there's nothing like sending and receiving a handwritten letter. Maybe you could even set up monthly or biweekly skype dates if he'll be able to get into town that often.
          "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
          Made it official: September 17, 2010
          Got engaged: January 15, 2012
          Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
          Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
          Got married: November 21, 2012
          Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
          Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

I think like the previous poster suggest.. if you can't talk so often.. write letter. In that sense its the anticipation and another form of romancing.
            they did in the past and those things seems to work.

Comment

I think like the previous poster suggest.. if you can't talk so often.. write letter. In that sense its the anticipation and another form of romancing.
              they did in the past and those things seems to work.

Comment

Originally posted by theoryofredice View Post
                as of right now a cell phone is not looking very likely. He's waiting to hear more information about the place. But i'm thinking just a landline phone, but not sure about that. I'm kinda going crazy not knowing what is going on and whats going to happen
                Actually, calling a landline from skype is WAY cheaper than calling cell phones. So that could be beneficial Letters are great, but I know in our situation that only like 15% of letters actually make it there so we couldn't really rely on that.

You guys will be fine. You just have to make sure that you have enough in your own life to keep you busy and satisfied without having constant contact with him.

Comment

Well I've been to Ecuador... and I've been to the remote Amazon Jungle after arriving by a very turbulent flight from Quito to Lagro Agro-- then a 8 hour bus ride, then arrive at the entry way into the National Reserve then a boat right up the Macal river into the "Black Water" area... which is very remote.. We were staying with a mission family from the states for a few days... they were living with the Sequoia tribe.. telephones and internet are limited... but some communities in the bush do have maybe one phone with in a 500 mile radius... so he might be able to get to a landline occasionally...

There are also some remote resorts that cater to "wilderness" tourists.. which might have internet access.. but I will warn you right now...they will charge BIG $$$$ for the use of it! Ecuador is Beautiful and it's people and heritage are amazing.. but it's not a country that treats visitors nicely... in fact, I actually was pick-pocketed by 2 OLD people in Old Towne Quito... The woman was acting like she was trying to get by me as in passing... and later on I found out an old man was behind me.. as the OLD woman and I kept "dancing"... the OLD guy behind me had a box cutter and cut open my bag and was trying to reach his hand in it to get a few dollars that he saw me stick in it. I actually got away before I realized what had happened!

But so that's what I have--- if you have any specific questions I can try to remember what I did-- where I went... but of course I was in Ecuador back in 2000... but I can recall a lot of things! so ask away!

Comment

Working...
                  X