Sick days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sick days

So some get lots of visits to see their SO, and some get them far and inbetween. My question for you is, have you ever gotten sick on a trip? On our first trip I got dreadfully sick and was bed ridden for two days. On the bright side, I had my sweetie there to take care of me, but that was two days lost. >.< Thankfully our trip was from July 24th to August 30th, so a couple days out didn't completely cut into the trip, like say if it was only for a week. So...

Have you ever gotten sick on a trip to see your SO, or when they were visiting?
    How did it effect your time together? Like say, did you find some good in it, or just upset that the time was lost?

I got sick while visiting him in Canada a couple of times. I kind of enjoyed it because I got to see a different side of him. He is such a good caretaker! He made me toast and cut it up into little pieces and brought it to me in bed. =] I love him.

Comment

I think it's something about Canada, but I get sick every time I come here, and when we came back here together, we were both sick for a week or more, had trouble breathing and the like. >< But, never been bedridden or anything on a trip luckily!

We've learnt a lot from being sick around each other though. We learnt that he whinges a lot and I can't stand that, and that I will mock him if the whinging goes past a certain point. We've also learnt that I don't complain enough - he's used to a very dramatic family, so if I just calmly tell him how I feel he doesn't take it seriously without the whine lol. We also learnt a lot about each other's families. His family are pretty unconcerned if one of the members is sick (When he got hit by a car his mom didn't even come visit him in the hospital because "there was nothing she could do") - they don't really look after each other, where in my family if you're sick someone else will feed you, bring you drinks and do your share of the housework etc. So, I expect to be looked after, and he's had to learn what to do about that.
      Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

When Gabriel was here a few weeks ago, I came down with something near the end of the trip... It was on his last night with me, which was kind of a drag but also good that we didn't lose a lot of time with me in bed. Actually, it was really sweet because he got really worried and had to take care of me... He found a nice family to drive me back home so I didn't have to walk five miles after I started feeling bad and then tended to me once we got home- went out to the store to get me juice, cooked me dinner, everything. It was a drag to be feeling so awful, but it was really sweet to see his instincts kick in and I think it really brought us closer in a way.

Comment

I think I've been sick once around him, I had some sort of stomach flu and could only eat plain foods ( like rice or bread) and drink water. He looked after me and eat what I ate even though he didn't have too, which was cute

He gets sick when I am not around. Like when I went home for christmas 2 years ago, he got really bad food poisoning 2 days after I left, and nearly had to be taken to hospital =/ and he always gets the dreaded "MAN-FLU" which is really just a cold, but he whinges something chronic :P I'll look after him to a certain point, but when he's just being a baby, I lose all sympathy

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
          <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
          The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
          <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
          <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
          Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
          Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

i havent yet *knocks on wood* but Denise was sick when i went over there for a few days, we just took things a little more slower and snuggled up alot

Comment

my bf came to canada on new years eve and when he got off the plane he was horribly sick! it was terrible because i had a surprise for us, we were going to have new years eve dinner at the CN Tower! its really hard to get tickets for new years and he really wanted to do something special. he got right off the plane, we drove home, he went to bed and slept for hours. it was awful, i hadnt seen him in 6 months and the first thing he does is sleep. i didnt really know how to take care of him and the drink i gave him made him throw up i felt really bad, but instead we spent new years on the couch in the dark watching the new york ball drop, hes never seen it since hes from europe. he was much better the next day, and so for the rest of the 2 weeks he was fine

Comment

My SO got sick from food poisoning last month when he was here and it lasted for about half of his two week trip. I felt so bad for him. I don't think he'll ever eat a chicken sandwich from Burger King ever again though.

"If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you.”
                - A. A. Milne

Comment

I got a little sick one night before bed and my SO took such good care of me

Comment

On our first visit he had a cold for a couple of days but it wasn't that bad at all. It didn't really stop us from going out or doing anything. Then last summer when I went there we ate at Steak n Shake this one time and I got sick from food poisoning. He took such good care of me, I could tell he was really worried and he tried doing whatever he could so I felt better. It was so sweet of him

I'm not telling you it's going to be easy.
                    I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.

Comment

My last trip out there I got a bad cold the week before. I was getting better when I flew there, but my sinuses were still stuffed up which caused me trouble on the plane, and then between the plane flights and a couple of days out and about in the cold, and I had a couple days where it got a lot worse again. I don't think it affected our trip too much though, I had one morning where I got out of bed, laid down on the couch for a while, and then went back to bed for a nap . But other than that it was nice to have him there to take care of me.

My SO is here right now and he just got some food poisoning or something, I couldn't be with him that night but I got to make a care package for him and gave it to him to help him feel better. It was so nice to be able to do something for once. So there's kind of a positive side to getting sick on visits!

"You know it's love when you want to keep holding hands even after you're sweaty."
                      -- Anonymous

Comment

I just got back from my first month with my guy in England last week. I actually was sick for the last week of the month with a horrible stomach bug, I had the flu shot before I left in attempt to prevent getting sick but well just my luck lol.
                        I'm a complete baby when I'm sick so he found that out a little earlier than I had wanted lol but I was really lucky he looked after me and has made me appreciate how good he is to me.

I was really upset at the time and felt like I had wasted a week together, I wanted to have the time to do things and share some quality time together that didn't involve me befriending the toilet and vomiting up the lovely meal he had cooked me.
                        I don't feel as upset now but I am still disappointed I missed out on some things.
                        Money Savers a LFAD group for people to share money saving ideas, tips, links, etc.

Comment

I didn't get sick, but my SO did. He'd already had a routine check up made for that Friday and had been planning to cancel to have just one more day with me, but Thursday night he began having severe chest pains (he's smoked for 10 years and quit cold turkey) and trouble breathing so I made him keep the appointment. He even woke up once during the night clutching his chest and I thought I was going to have to call an ambulance or a cab to let me get him to the ER. After about an hour of me holding him and kissing his forehead he went back to sleep. Scared the crap out of me.

Comment

I got sick on the first trip and it lasted like three days out of an eight-day visit then after that HE got sick 'cause he wouldn't stop kissing me. >.>

On the second trip, he had an ear infection and the pain was excrutiating so I took care of him, reminded him to take his meds on time every day and spoiled him to no end.

Comment

Neither of us was really THAT sick where it affected our plans, but I got pretty sick right before he came home for Christmas. It was a really bad postnasal drip and it lasted for about 2 weeks altogether...almost an entire week that my SO was home.

"Do I love you? My God, if your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches."

Like a drum, my heart never stops beating for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X