Daylight Savings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daylight Savings

This might sound stupid but we don't have daylight savings here and until I met my boyfriend, had no idea how it worked. /:

Without daylight savings we have a 16 hour time difference. And now, I get confused when trying to figure out what time he leaves and gets home from school or work. He's also a polyphasic sleeper (no full nights of sleep, just 6 30min naps throughout the day) and I now have trouble figuring out what times those naps are. I tried to wake him up during one of his naps. /:

He says what's so confusing? It's just adding an hour! (or was it taking away an hour?) Maybe it's just hard for me because I'm awful at mental math.

Anyone else getting the time confused?

I have been a bit, because I am used to a 5 hour difference- I automatically take 5 away. For the next 2 weeks it's only 4 hours. Which I am enjoying a lot. Though my sleepy brain this morning got confused and I ended up getting up at 7 instead of 9 to talk to him this morning ah well, it means he can work over-time without encroaching on our usual talk time, which is awesome

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
    <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
    The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
    <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
    <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
    Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
    Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

Well, without daylight saving my SO and I are 12 hours apart.

Which is hard, but I always knew: 3 pm my time = 3 am her time.

Pretty easy.

But now I'll have to think differently again and it's probably going to take some while.

Comment

This saying always works for me, "Fall Back, Spring Ahead" In the Spring, you add an hour to the time. In the Fall, you subtract an hour from the time. So, when fall comes around, you will have to readjust to it again. Then again, your seasons might be completely different if you are international, so this may not help you. Oops. I really dislike Daylight Savings and think it's pointless.

Comment

I love it, and that the US is screwing everyone up by doing it 2 weeks early in the Spring and late in the Fall, because for 4 weeks of the year our difference is 6 hours instead of 7 (OK, I'm not actually glad we're screwing everyone up, but that extra hour of chat time is so nice to have!)
          Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Micah View Post
            This saying always works for me, "Fall Back, Spring Ahead" In the Spring, you add an hour to the time. In the Fall, you subtract an hour from the time. So, when fall comes around, you will have to readjust to it again. Then again, your seasons might be completely different if you are international, so this may not help you. Oops. I really dislike Daylight Savings and think it's pointless.
            We have no seasons, the weather's either sunny or rainy and always hot, so I'll just use the US seasons. I like that saying, I'll remember it.
            I think it's pointless too. Even if there was a reason to it, why do only some places do it and other places don't? It makes it so hard for people who has never experienced daylight savings to try to figure out how it works.

I got used to counting my time+4 for UK (8 hours behind me where my close friend is) and my time-4 for the US (16 hours behind me where my boyfriend is). And now daylight savings has started in the US but not in the UK? /: No idea what time is where anymore, hahah.

Comment

I think the closer you are to the equator, or more tropical climates, do not observe Daylight Savings Time because they typically have 12 hours of day and 12 hours of night, whereas places in the U.S. do not have the daylight so evenly split, so they "change the rules" and add Daylight Savings Time into it the mix. In the summer, it gives us more light later in the day. It is also claimed to save energy, but I really don't buy that anymore with all our modern electronic devices we rely on now.

I am glad the saying helps you out a little bit, though!

Comment

If you have a world clock on your phone, even if it doesn't show his city or one close by, you can just look at the time in his timezone and figure out what time it is that way.

Comment

Haha, my SO figured this out yesterday too about what Daylight Savings is, because I announced it to him "we changed times!" "Wait what, there's such a thing as changing time?!" China doesn't do DST either. Frankly I also think its a bit pointless.

Comment

Hawaii does not observe DST either and it has been a challenge. Usually we are 5 hours apart; now we are 6.

When we love, it isn't because the person's perfect, it's because we learn to see an imperfect person perfectly.

True love does not worry about the distance between, for the heart and soul travels through one's words

When two people are meant for each other, no time is too long, no distance is too far, and no one can ever tear them apart.

1 universe, 9 planets, 7 continents, 194 countries, 50 states and 10 provinces...and I had the privilege to meet you.

Comment

Originally posted by Heather View Post
                      If you have a world clock on your phone, even if it doesn't show his city or one close by, you can just look at the time in his timezone and figure out what time it is that way.
                      Oh, yeah! I completely forgot, I do have a world clock app and his time saved on it. I just checked and it had already updated itself with the daylight savings time. Cool, thanks!

Comment

The UK and USA both have DST but around 2 weeks apart.

DST was created for farming communities so the farmers would have more hours of daylight to complete their work. Completely pointless in modern society if you ask me - just get up earlier!

We use the same saying, the clocks "Spring forward in spring" and "fall back in the fall".

Whats really confusing me at the moment is my iphone. It seems to have gone crazy! It auto-corrected itself for DST but now my alarm that was set for 2pm is going off at 3! I tried deleting and resetting it - no difference, the things possessed!
                        Tea and hugs make the world go round - don't ever discount the little things in life.

Smiling away to oneself brings an obscene amount of joy when only you know the reason why your smiling. Pick something secret to smile about and let it light up your face all day long!

And remember....Love really IS all around.

Comment

I had to explain daylight savings time to my SO. It took a good 15 minutes, but I think he gets it now!

Comment

well luckily its only until the 27th but right now im 6 hours behind her at the moment so i have to wait until 3:30 to call

Comment

I hate hate hate daylight savings time, in the fall my SO is only 2 hours ahead and now he's 3 ahead and even though its just an hour, I feel like we're losing a lot more time together than we really are. I sleep in longer and he goes to bed sooner, I miss only being 2 hours behind him already.

Notes:
                              Met: 8.17.09
                              Started Dating: 8.20.09
                              First Met: 10.2.10
                              Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

Working...
                              X