Driving Abroad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driving Abroad

I'm Aussie and I'm going to be in the UK on a visa for 2 years. I just wanted to know if I can drive over there if I just have my Australian license?

From what I have heard, you can drive in the UK for one year with a driver's license from somewhere else.
    "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
    Made it official: September 17, 2010
    Got engaged: January 15, 2012
    Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
    Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
    Got married: November 21, 2012
    Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
    Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

I think you should be able to. When we have traveled to England as a family my mum has been able to drive over there. And since Australia and the UK both drive on the left side of the road it should be okay. You may have to read up on the UK road code in case there are any slight differences but in terms of actual driving I think it's okay

Comment

I know Canada has a mutual partnership with Uk so that you can use your license. Try looking into International drivers permits. I got one for $15 and you just need a photo and to show your license.

Comment

Originally posted by princessmeg1328 View Post
          From what I have heard, you can drive in the UK for one year with a driver's license from somewhere else.
          Yeah I've read somewhere that it's just a year if you're a visitor. I'll just have to drive for one year and take public transport the next- or use my boyfriend to drive me around xP

Comment

Get the international license. It's good for 1-2 years. It's basically your license with information translated into a whole bunch of languages. You also might want to go to the forum lonelyplanet.com Thorn Tree Forum. It's a travel forum and everyone there is super helpful!

Comment

Originally posted by Sav88 View Post
              Yeah I've read somewhere that it's just a year if you're a visitor. I'll just have to drive for one year and take public transport the next- or use my boyfriend to drive me around xP
              That's always a plan. I don't know how often you've been to England, but public transport isn't bad. I know it's a lot better than in the US. For the second year if you're planning on doing a lot of traveling, I would recommend getting a 16-25 Railcard, if you're between those ages. They give a good discount on train tickets and are valid for one year.
              "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
              Made it official: September 17, 2010
              Got engaged: January 15, 2012
              Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
              Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
              Got married: November 21, 2012
              Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
              Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

I've always found going to a travel agents helps when I have questions like this (and gee did I have a heap before I went to England). Public transport seemed really good there too, though much more expensive that Australia.

Completely off topic but will you be using an Australian bank over there? if so make sure you get a visa/mastercard with a microchip, some shops won't accept the normal swipe cards we have.
                Money Savers a LFAD group for people to share money saving ideas, tips, links, etc.

Comment

Yeah, you could simply get an international driver's license. It's valid for 3 years.

I got one myself when I flew from Germany to New Zealand.

Comment

Working...
                  X