Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phone Bill

Hello everyone

I woke up this morning and went online to look at the cell phone bill.
    I saw some shocking information...

5,600 minutes used last month. About 94 hours. Almost 4 days straight.
    533 minutes, longest call. Almost 9 hours.
    5,498 texts used last month.

Then I looked up some phone information..
    "According to Nielsen, the average teenager (age 13 to 17) now sends 3,339 texts per month. Teen females send 4,050 texts per month. 18- to 24-year-old sends “only” 1,630 texts per month.”

I've got them all beat!

Luckily, I have an unlimited plan so it didn't cost me tons and tons. But it was still pretty interesting! My SO lives 1,800 miles away and doesn't have internet (no skype!) so the phone is our main communication. We often stay on the line all night and say good morning when we wake up.

How about you? Any crazy phone bills or stories?

Well, my SO lives in New Zealand and I live in Germany so we're 11,500 miles away from each other and if I want to call my girlfriend from my cell phone for about 20 minutes it's going to cost me $70. I've spent an unbelievably amount of money that way already. I mostly try using the home phone though because there are very cheap numbers which allowe you to call someone for 2 hours for like $2. We mostly talk over Skype though. It's free and has much better quality.

Comment

My internet was cut off for a while once (think it was while we were switching providers) so I used my phone as modem and used it just as much as I usually do, Skype calling for about 30 hours straight (we leave it one while we sleep) and streaming tv and things like that.

Used up an impressive ammount of GBs but luckily I have unlimited internet on my phone plan so wasn't a problem =)

I'm also amazed when I get my phone bills through the post every month (I've asked them dozens of times not to send me them and I'll just check them online) and it shows you every phone call and text you've made. There's just pages and pages of them every month! I send over 100 text messages every day and there's a month worth of that coming through my door!

Comment

Originally posted by Jonesonaboat View Post
        I'm also amazed when I get my phone bills through the post every month (I've asked them dozens of times not to send me them and I'll just check them online) and it shows you every phone call and text you've made. There's just pages and pages of them every month! I send over 100 text messages every day and there's a month worth of that coming through my door!
        Oh wow that's crazy! My phone company finally sent me a letter that they wouldn't be sending any paper bills or print-outs because the amount of text and calls was costing them too much paper! It's all online now.

Comment

My SO and I sent 3000+ texts last month because we communicate mostly by texts. We rarely talk on the phone unless we aren't at home. Id' rather use skype because I can see him when I talk to him, which makes it more fun. We are really stupid on skype, just making silly faces and weird noises to make each other laugh.
          "We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love " ~ Theodore Seuss Geisel.

Comment

No crazy phone bills for me because I'm prepaid but it costs like 66c per minute to call my SO so we don't talk on the phone much. I'm planning to get another sim from a different provider which would only cost me 15c per minute to call his landline but I've been meaning to talk to him about we just don't get the chance and he's having issues with his phoneline at the moment anyway.

Though I have used up heaps of internet downloads talking to him on camera, we could easily use up a gig in a skype session. I only have a 8gig limit so I can't really do that much grrr lol
            Money Savers a LFAD group for people to share money saving ideas, tips, links, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by thatstormynight View Post
              Oh wow that's crazy! My phone company finally sent me a letter that they wouldn't be sending any paper bills or print-outs because the amount of text and calls was costing them too much paper! It's all online now.
              Hah I know!
              It's a pain because I don't need to see every call and text I've made it's such a waste of paper. I'll be paying off the rest of the contract before I leave anyway, so I wont have to worry about any more big thick envelopes arriving!

Comment

Wow thats a lot!! My SO and I don't use the phone to talk. I send the occasional text message but it costs him a lot to send one back so my phone bill is relatively low. I don't think there's a phone plan in canada that would be cheap enough to get that would allow me to talk as much as you!

Comment

We re only separated by few hours....Most are the time we call each other while we re on the way to work place and going home. And its cost us a lot. Almost 3/4 from our salary.
                  Well as being said..Love cost nothing

Comment

Nah. We've called each other maybe 10-15 times total in the year and a half we've been together. Even with some of my best friends I'm really awkward talking on the phone so our conversations were always a bit nerve-wracking and our primary method of communication is MSN and texts. I wish I knew what our texting numbers were like though since I remember before we were switched to an unlimited plan both of us were in some hot water from our parents (we're each on a family plan).

Comment

I worked at a non-profit children's shelter when Aaron and I were long distance, so I wasn't making much to begin with. I had unlimited text so that was never an issue, but some of my bills got pretty outrageous until I upgraded to a plan with long distance calling...I don't remember exact numbers, but we texted each other every morning and over the course of the day, chatted on AIM/Skype for most of the evening, and tried to talk on the phone some too...Pretty much whenever he got off work in the evening until we were too tired to stay up any longer, we were talking in one form or another.

Comment

We mainly communicate through text and I know we both send thousands to each other a month which just blows my mind lol we also talk on the phone but it's almost always after 9 (when minutes are free) unless it's something important.

Madly in love with Michael

Comment

We're both on the same cell phone provider (Verizon), so we can call or text any time and it doesn't alter the price of our service. We used to text a ton, but now we mainly just call each other and text a few times a day. I'd rather hear his voice. Still, we probably talk about 20 minutes a day, so nothing too crazy.

Comment

I'm halfway thru my billing cycle and I've already used 3276.

One thing that's interesting is my carrier shows 500 records at a time. When I asked it go to back to the previous 500 entries, the start date was 4/3/2011. So we've exchanged over 500 texts in 2 days.

As I think about it, that's probably right. Before I got this new phone, that erases texts after so many, I would count back and see we would routinely exchange 200 texts in a day. So 500 in two days is not unreasonable. And our phones calls cost us nothing as we are both on the same carrier - neither of us switched, it just worked out that way. Neither of us plan to switch, either. The Boy just sees it as yet another sign we were meant to be together!

When we love, it isn't because the person's perfect, it's because we learn to see an imperfect person perfectly.

True love does not worry about the distance between, for the heart and soul travels through one's words

When two people are meant for each other, no time is too long, no distance is too far, and no one can ever tear them apart.

1 universe, 9 planets, 7 continents, 194 countries, 50 states and 10 provinces...and I had the privilege to meet you.

Comment

I usually skype him, or text him through this iphone app, textplus, that allows me to text him for free (otherwise it would cost tons to communicate from italy to america). i fall asleep with him on skype, do homework or whatever, so we spend AGES on the computer together.
                              I was on a school trip to barcelona, spain, and i had no wifi in the hotel, and i really needed to hear his voice (and i was a bit drunk) so i ended up calling his cellphone from mine. the phone bill was quite..mean.. but i'm lucky that my dad didn't even look at the bill and had it automatically payed for.

Distance doesn't matter when two hearts are loyal to each other.

Comment

Working...
                              X