Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Without this decade I could not do LDR, but 90's I miss you!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Without this decade I could not do LDR, but 90's I miss you!

I was just watching Top 40 One Hit Wonders of the 90's on VH1, and I miss the 90's. There's so many problems today in America you have the economy, Americans not being aware of the news, and a government shutdown. (If this government shutdown this will hinder the ability to receive your passport due to 800,000 government workers being laid off or being sent home without a paycheck.) But I miss the 90's due to social awareness, music, and a lot of other things. I feel bad for this generation because they're growing up feeling entitled to things at a rapid rate and bad music. Yet, what I like about this decade is the technology that we have to make being in a LDR easier. We have skype, cell phones, and the internet to be able to chat with our lovers anytime. Without the technology today, I don't think I can do long distance since we constantly have to talk to our lovers everyday since we don't have the luxury to see them everyday. But that's just my two cents!

My personal opinion is the 90's was trying to imitate the 80's but was too cheap to be that awesome. Coming from someone born in 1990.

But I agree the technology we have now makes the ability to hold a successful LDR much easier. I mean hey we have phones that let you see the person's face like a webcam! My parents were in a LDR in the 80s and all they had were expensive long distance phone calls and letter writing. Granted such stunted communication amped up the drive to close the distance way sooner, but they didn't get to know each other that closely until after they were married. And they divorced 6 years later. Now we have people that are able to sustain distance much longer, get to know the person better, and take time to plan closing the distance thus giving them a better chance at staying together.

Comment

I know exactly how you feel, and it makes perfect sense. The 90's were a simpler time, and when I look back on it, they seem like such awesome days. But, I also agree that if it was the 90's, I most likely wouldn't have been able to handle an LDR.

"Do I love you? My God, if your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches."

Like a drum, my heart never stops beating for you.

Comment

Yeah, my parents we in an LDR in the 90s and they only had snail-mail to communicate, not being able to afford long distance phone calls >.< That would be rough... I keep reminding myself that me and Brandon have it wayyyy easier then alot of people, and a hell of alot easier then my parents did, and things still worked out fine for them!!

Comment

My SO & I did have a LDR in the 90's We managed, but it was expensive because we would talk pretty much every day - and being a college kid, most of my $ went to talking to him. This was before intenet was something everyone had in their homes...it was a huge luxury to have it at all. I love all the ways we have to communicate now, but I do miss the surprise cards and letters. I should do that more often...

edit because I also wanted to say how much the 90's rock! But I graduated in the 90's so that's my era.

Comment

I know that without the technology we have today, I wouldn't be in an LDR. It's hard enough now with the technology, but an international LDR would be almost impossible without it, in my opinion.
            "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
            Made it official: September 17, 2010
            Got engaged: January 15, 2012
            Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
            Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
            Got married: November 21, 2012
            Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
            Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

Wow your parents did LDR in the 90's and some in the 80s! Impressive, I definitely couldn't do that! I'd be depressed and broke all the time. I'm grateful to be born in a time where it's easy and cheap to communicate over hundreds of miles away, and don't forget texting too I admit it this is the best and only thing about the 2000s an efficient internet to be able to communicate . But I still send my honey love postcards in the mail! He will always be loved! How much was it to do long distance phone calls back in the day?!

Comment

Oh also the internet sucked back then too in the 90's! You had that annoying dial up that will making this cceeerr ringing sound and the internet would always go out unexpectedly .

Comment

how about the 1950s? my folks were LDR military in the late 50s... no contact for weeks... mom when she went to be with dad SAILED on a ship to get to him....
                  Critter
                  --
                  We come to love not by finding a perfect person,
                  but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly.

Comment

You were talking about bad music, but you know what else is really horrible these days? Cartoons.

I absolutely loved watching cartoons in the 90's: Batman, CatDog, Inspector Gadget, Looney Tunes, Pinky and the Brain, (the original) Pokemon, The Smurfs, TaleSpin.

I wanted to cry when I flicked onto the kids channel and saw all this new crap.

Comment

Originally posted by NaNi View Post
                      I wanted to cry when I flicked onto the kids channel and saw all this new crap.
                      I also want to cry when watching today's cartoons, and turning on the radio.

I was in an international LDR in the late 90's. i was lucky that i had access to the internet from my parent's workplace, and thus depended on emails, snailmail and bi-monthly "Speak Freely" sessions for hours. this was the first free VOIP system

i feel like such a nerd!
                      Don't be dismayed at goodbyes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again.
                      And meeting again, after moments or lifetime, is certain for those who are friends.
                      ~Richard Bach

“Always,” said Snape.

Comment

Working...
                      X