Obtaining a US passport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obtaining a US passport

Hi guys, I just have a question about US passports. My SO is from California, and he has never flown outside of the US. He is wanting to come visit me here in Australia. He has obtained copies of his birth certificate and SS card. He had his photos taken over the weekend and he has already filled out the papers.

Does anyone have any idea of how long it takes to process? For instance, how many weeks/days we would be waiting to get it back from the time of handing in the paperwork? Is there anything else that is needed apart from what is listed above?

Thanks for your answers in advance, and any personal experiences/advice that you can share with me is greatly appreciated

According to https://travel.state.gov/passport/pr...sing_1740.html it can take 4-6 weeks to process the application. If it's expedited, it can take 2-3 weeks.

I don't have any personal experience with getting a passport or anything like that. I'm sure someone else here does though.

Comment

I got my passport less than 2 weeks after i applied for it but i had it expedited as i needed it to come to Canada. The process is really easy all he has to do is get some photos taken (it's best to do it at wal-mart) and then complete all of the paperwork at the post office and pay the passport application fee. if it's expedited it's $167 otherwise it's around $80 or so (it could of changed since then as i got mine back in 2006).

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

Mine took like...two weeks? I applied on October 1st, 2009 and I got my passport on the 12th? 13th? So his will probably take longer since it's April and people will be applying for passports for summer vacations. My parents applied for their passports in November of last year and theirs took like three weeks? but I think theirs were renewals not originals.

Comment

Originally posted by Riyko View Post
          I got my passport less than 2 weeks after i applied for it but i had it expedited as i needed it to come to Canada. The process is really easy all he has to do is get some photos taken (it's best to do it at wal-mart) and then complete all of the paperwork at the post office and pay the passport application fee. if it's expedited it's $167 otherwise it's around $80 or so (it could of changed since then as i got mine back in 2006).
          Sorry to double post but passport prices have gone up. Apparently they're like...$120 for a passport now.

Comment

I just recently (3 weeks ago as of tomorrow) filed mine. I didn't expedite. At the post office, they told me to expect it some time between 3-4 weeks, though standard is 4-6. They're going to want the actual documents when they ask for his birth certificate and SS card, though. The SS card they'll hand back, the birth certificate the actually mail back to you. Nothing's come back to me yet, but I have called the Passport Agency, and my application is in process. I also called in fear of the big bad government shut down threat, and they told me that if the government did shut down any office, all applications in process would be completed. I'm traveling in 4 weeks, so I felt a crunch for time, but no one in any of the offices said I had reason to worry...we'll see.

*Edit after seeing folclor's post* It cost me $135 to do mine, that was just for the passpot book, not for the book and card. Also, make sure he brings a check or money order...I brought cash and ended up having to buy a money order at the post office. It cost a couple bucks extra, no biggie.

Comment

Thanks guys for the info. I think I'll ask him if he has his original birth certificate or not.. because he said his mum gave them to him but I am not actually sure if they're copies. He told me he's going to get it expedited so it will get there quicker, he doesn't mind the extra cost.

Comment

Working...
              X