Long Days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long Days

-quick rant- Just had to get this off my chest...

My SO works long days, today was a 12 hour shift for him. I am used to talking with him every day, so when he has long shifts it makes me miss him more. Also, my classes today were cancelled so I was stuck inside doing homework alllll day. I couldn't wait for him to get home. Even with the two hour time difference, I wanted to wait up to talk to him and wait for our nightly call. After a few hours of not hearing from him, I texted to ask what he was up too & he said he went to the gym, ate, cleaned and watched TV and was now kind of dozing off. I understand that he wants to unwind but, I really missed him :/. He finally did call but after 5-10 minutes he just fell asleep on the phone.
    I hate days like this, when I miss him tons but don't get to talk to him.
    I don't fault him for falling asleep, because gosh, I'd be dead tired too. But I wish he had called me earlier when he was doing "nothing".
    He tends to do that alot, which is slightly annoying because he is 2 hours behind me and I have school early in the mornings. So he waits til he is finished "unwinding" to call me, without considering that it might be kind of late on my end. I've told him this before but.. SO doesn't really take hints very well.

Ohh well. I guess I should be glad to talk to him every day & thankful the time difference isn't greater. The joys of LDR.

/rant

My SO works 71+ hour work weeks 7 days a week and his computer is currently broken (though now and again he borrows his roommate's) so our only venue of communication is text messaging as he can't receive incoming calls on the job and he gets off anywhere between 10pm and 2 am depending on what they have him doing or the day and he refuses to call that late. With stuff like that, you take what you can get and if there's wiggle room for compromise you seize the opportunity.

Depending on where your guy works he may want "me" time or just flat out quiet time with no one trying to get his attention, no handling phones or computers or any of that. If he's doing all this and then contacting you when it's time for you to be in bed, then he needs to know straight up that there is indeed a time difference and that what his clock says is not what yours says. If he can't remember that then he needs to buy a clock and set it via your timezone and have it where he can see it. Even though there's only an hour's difference between my SO and I, for a while I had my phone set to show two different times because I would easily forget my 10pm was his 11pm and get frustrated about similar things. Depending on his schedule and if his hours change at all, maybe you guys could designate a time at night where he could call you/IM you/whatever and could talk for maybe an hour before he goes and does his winding down routine and before you have to go to sleep.

Comment

Working...
    X