quitting addictions for love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Élan View Post
    I quit smoking because my SO asked me to. If we broke up, the first thing I'd do is walk to 711 and buy a pack. I love smoking so much. At least he lets me smoke shisha now and again.

I quit cold turkey from two packs a day months ago and I am STILL not happy about it! I guess it's love when I can give up my favorite thing for the person I'm with. :P We are close distance now, so it's fairly easy to avoid cigarettes. But when we were long distance, it was so tempting to have "just a few" now and then.
    haha if we broke up first thing i'd do to would be to go and buy a pack too probably. when i broke up with the previous health maniac boyfriend, as soon as he left the party we broke up at, i rushed to the other room and grabbed the hookah and didn't let go of it for a while. i also made a point to smoke in front of him at another party a few weeks later, i have a strange conception of revenge :P

Distance doesn't matter when two hearts are loyal to each other.

Comment

I'm not a smoker, all the people in my family seem to contract lung cancer quite easily so I made sure I steered clear of that, but I used to have a bit of a drinking problem, mostly because all my friends do it to have fun and my SO didn't really approve, he didn't try to stop me but I wanted him to be proud of me so I've quit that cold turkey. It does get hard though with all my friends in that "scene" I feel left out of all the good memories they bring up all the time. :/

Notes:
      Met: 8.17.09
      Started Dating: 8.20.09
      First Met: 10.2.10
      Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

Wow, am I the only one here who didn't give up smoking? xD

I gave up opiates like oxy, vocodin, sleeping pills, ect. Basically all the shit Dr House abused, but so much worse. Opiates actually murder your sex drive, hence why I never got the hooker thing... Anyway, I gave that shit up. His dad was a hard drug user (sober now), so seeing me high all the time not caring if I overdosed the next time was hard for him. For our one year I decided I would get sober. Too bad it was in the middle of the visit @_@. It was the two most painful weeks of my life. You don't know pain until you're on the floor screaming and shaking from pure physical pain all over because your body is so damn desperate to get high.

After 5 years, it was a terrible idea to quit cold turkey. Withdrawal can actually kill you, it almost did me in. I couldn't control by body temperature, I couldn't keep food down, I was having severe shakes, my skin was crawling 24/7, I was in constant physical pain, I couldn't handle being touched because my body would feel like it was on fire, I couldn't keep control ow my bowels (opiates make you constipated, so when you get sober it gives you massive diarrhea), and all of this kept me from sleeping up to 3 or 4 days at a time. Only thing that saved me was that this person I knew online told me to take Immodium because it has a small amount of opiates, like Niccorette for smokers. She and her boyfriend were both recovering heroin addicts, so if she could kick heroin with those, I figured it would help. Thank the Lord, she was right @_@. I actually still occasionally take them when I feel I'm about to relapse. My withdrawal actually coincided with Enrique, so he had to deal with me feeling like I was going to die for almost a week. He would have to hold me and cover my mouth so no one would hear me screaming and get the cops called on us. It was at that moment he found out what I would give up for him. The pain was so bad I tried to kill myself twice, I honestly felt like I couldn't take it. Even after over 2 1/2 years sober, there are days I feel I can't take it. Kinda why I took up weed xD. Seriously, it helps me from doing something stupid @_@. I'm handicap and live in a medical marijuana state so no one can say anything to me :P.

I will be 2 years sober on August 10th of this year. God, I wrote so much @_@.

Comment

Congrats! I'm not a smoker, so I can only imagine how hard it would be to quit.

My SO quit smoking. In the beginning of our dating I told him I didn't smoke. I never started because I have asthma and have a hard enough time with second hand smoke. He told me he did, but it was something he did primarily at home because his mom and sister both smoke. When he's out or at work he never really thinks about it. I made it clear that I wouldn't tell him to quit, but just that he respects my health issue and goes outside to smoke. He decided to stop altogether for me. I never asked him to and it was a real surprise, but I am glad he did. He told me that if it'll help me and make it easier, then he'll stop. <3 I'm so proud of him and love him so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth_Taco View Post
            I will be 2 years sober on August 10th of this year.
            Huge congratulations, that is a true accomplishment and I hope you give yourself all the credit you deserve!

My SO will have two years clean on May 5th. He had a very difficult past and after an accident and a spell in prison he turned his life around. I couldn't be more proud of him.

This was all before we got talking properly. He already had 6 months clean when we first started talking so he hasnt in any way "given up" for me. As someone else said, you cant force someone to quit, they have to come to the decision and conclusion on they're own when they're ready or its very likely they will relapse.

I've given up drinking for my SO. He didnt ask me too, I chose to on my own accord, because he expressed how difficult it would be for him to know I was out drinking. I'm actually really enjoying my decision, I feel so proud to tell people why I'm drinking orange juice instead of wine.

He smokes, and I really cant stand cigarette smoke. But its his one vice, hes given up so much already he needs to be ready to give up smoking in his own time. And he will, he wants to quit and has already done so much for me because he knows I dont like it.

He smokes 1/2 cigerettes, always gos outside well away from me and doesnt smoke as often when I'm there. I'm so proud of him for that, and even more so because he chose to not because I asked or nagged him about it.
            Tea and hugs make the world go round - don't ever discount the little things in life.

Smiling away to oneself brings an obscene amount of joy when only you know the reason why your smiling. Pick something secret to smile about and let it light up your face all day long!

And remember....Love really IS all around.

Comment

I will be 2 years sober on August 10th of this year.
              Huge congratulations, that is a true accomplishment and I hope you give yourself all the credit you deserve!

My SO will have two years clean on May 5th. He had a very difficult past and after an accident and a spell in prison he turned his life around. I couldn't be more proud of him.

This was all before we got talking properly. He already had 6 months clean when we first started talking so he hasnt in any way "given up" for me. As someone else said, you cant force someone to quit, they have to come to the decision and conclusion on they're own when they're ready or its very likely they will relapse.

I've given up drinking for my SO. He didnt ask me too, I chose to on my own accord, because he expressed how difficult it would be for him to know I was out drinking. I'm actually really enjoying my decision, I feel so proud to tell people why I'm drinking orange juice instead of wine.

He smokes, and I really cant stand cigarette smoke. But its his one vice, hes given up so much already he needs to be ready to give up smoking in his own time. And he will, he wants to quit and has already done so much for me because he knows I dont like it.

He smokes 1/2 cigerettes, always gos outside well away from me and doesnt smoke as often when I'm there. I'm so proud of him for that, and even more so because he chose to not because I asked or nagged him about it.
              Tea and hugs make the world go round - don't ever discount the little things in life.

Smiling away to oneself brings an obscene amount of joy when only you know the reason why your smiling. Pick something secret to smile about and let it light up your face all day long!

And remember....Love really IS all around.

Comment

Wow, am I the only one here who didn't give up smoking? xD

I gave up opiates like oxy, vocodin, sleeping pills, ect. Basically all the shit Dr House abused, but so much worse. Opiates actually murder your sex drive, hence why I never got the hooker thing... Anyway, I gave that shit up. His dad was a hard drug user (sober now), so seeing me high all the time not caring if I overdosed the next time was hard for him. For our one year I decided I would get sober. Too bad it was in the middle of the visit @_@. It was the two most painful weeks of my life. You don't know pain until you're on the floor screaming and shaking from pure physical pain all over because your body is so damn desperate to get high.

After 5 years, it was a terrible idea to quit cold turkey. Withdrawal can actually kill you, it almost did me in. I couldn't control by body temperature, I couldn't keep food down, I was having severe shakes, my skin was crawling 24/7, I was in constant physical pain, I couldn't handle being touched because my body would feel like it was on fire, I couldn't keep control ow my bowels (opiates make you constipated, so when you get sober it gives you massive diarrhea), and all of this kept me from sleeping up to 3 or 4 days at a time. Only thing that saved me was that this person I knew online told me to take Immodium because it has a small amount of opiates, like Niccorette for smokers. She and her boyfriend were both recovering heroin addicts, so if she could kick heroin with those, I figured it would help. Thank the Lord, she was right @_@. I actually still occasionally take them when I feel I'm about to relapse. My withdrawal actually coincided with Enrique, so he had to deal with me feeling like I was going to die for almost a week. He would have to hold me and cover my mouth so no one would hear me screaming and get the cops called on us. It was at that moment he found out what I would give up for him. The pain was so bad I tried to kill myself twice, I honestly felt like I couldn't take it. Even after over 2 1/2 years sober, there are days I feel I can't take it. Kinda why I took up weed xD. Seriously, it helps me from doing something stupid @_@. I'm handicap and live in a medical marijuana state so no one can say anything to me :P.

I will be 2 years sober on August 10th of this year. God, I wrote so much @_@.
                WOW, seriously i think you are amazing for being almost two months sober, that shows a good deal of strength. congratulations, really. and honestly, take your time for quitting smoking, you have done so so so much already

Distance doesn't matter when two hearts are loyal to each other.

Comment

Working...
                X