Anyone else notice...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else notice...

A huge hike in plane ticket prices from/in the USA recently??? WTF?

Normally a plane ticket from my home in the USA to Costa Rica is (at most) $500. I'm looking up tickets for the OFF SEASON and they're minimum $800. What the heck?

(Okay but I did just have a ton of fun picking out all those smilies...!!)

Gas prices are affecting the airlines, too, I guess.
    My heart belongs to a pilot!
    ~*~
    ~*~
    [/center]

Comment

*eghechgrrechengrargh!!!!*

...that is all
      Tea and hugs make the world go round - don't ever discount the little things in life.

Smiling away to oneself brings an obscene amount of joy when only you know the reason why your smiling. Pick something secret to smile about and let it light up your face all day long!

And remember....Love really IS all around.

Comment

Good Evening Lucy,

Yep, Lissie and I sure have noticed a HUGE hike in airline fees. It is getting FLAT OUT RIDICULOUS. As recently as December, around Christmas no less, I was able to fly from Raleigh / Durham (RDU), NC to Boston (BOS) for $130 round trip with JetBlue. I recently purchased a ticket for Lissie to visit me from Sunday May 8th to Saturday May 14th for $204. That is a whole lot more money than my holiday ticket, but the rise in fuel prices is affecting the airlines I am sure.

Lissie tried to use Priceline.com's Name Your Own Price feature to at least try to minimize the cost of the flight. It turned out to be a TOTAL fiasco, and we recommend avoiding Priceline's Name Your Own Price feature. Lissie ended up getting delayed, delayed, and delayed some more. Finally, she had to stay the night in a Hotel in New York because the second plane to take her from NY to Raleigh was not to fly that night. The flight was cancelled. You can read all about this ridiculous adventure here: How to NOT Fly to Your Lover!

There are ways to minimize the increase, as most of you are probably aware. One easy way is to book your ticket very early, assuming you know your travel dates well in advance. This will help keep the costs down as the "less expensive" seats are available. Everyone has noticed how the seats seem to become exponentially more expensive as you get closer and closer to the travel date. Another suggestion is to Keep your travel engagements to Saturday and Wednesday, as according to several internet resources, these are the cheapest days to fly.

Good luck avoiding the high fares and still finding the funds to see your lover!

-Tom tomandlissie.com

Comment

Originally posted by tomandlissie View Post
          Good Evening Lucy,

Yep, Lissie and I sure have noticed a HUGE hike in airline fees. It is getting FLAT OUT RIDICULOUS. As recently as December, around Christmas no less, I was able to fly from Raleigh / Durham (RDU), NC to Boston (BOS) for $130 round trip with JetBlue. I recently purchased a ticket for Lissie to visit me from Sunday May 8th to Saturday May 14th for $204. That is a whole lot more money than my holiday ticket, but the rise in fuel prices is affecting the airlines I am sure.

Lissie tried to use Priceline.com's Name Your Own Price feature to at least try to minimize the cost of the flight. It turned out to be a TOTAL fiasco, and we recommend avoiding Priceline's Name Your Own Price feature. Lissie ended up getting delayed, delayed, and delayed some more. Finally, she had to stay the night in a Hotel in New York because the second plane to take her from NY to Raleigh was not to fly that night. The flight was cancelled. You can read all about this ridiculous adventure here: How to NOT Fly to Your Lover!

There are ways to minimize the increase, as most of you are probably aware. One easy way is to book your ticket very early, assuming you know your travel dates well in advance. This will help keep the costs down as the "less expensive" seats are available. Everyone has noticed how the seats seem to become exponentially more expensive as you get closer and closer to the travel date. Another suggestion is to Keep your travel engagements to Saturday and Wednesday, as according to several internet resources, these are the cheapest days to fly.

Good luck avoiding the high fares and still finding the funds to see your lover!

-Tom tomandlissie.com

i used that last year and there was nothing wrong with it, actually it worked quite well and got a $700 ticket, you have to be reasonal with the ticket price otherwise you wont get anything

and yeah i have noticed that it makes me nervous since i only have a few months to get one

Comment

If you're a student/under 25 you can try studentuniverse.com. When I first looked at plane tickets for my summer in Germany they were about $1200 but I got a student fare for $780. I also subscribe to Travelzoo.com's newsletter, which emails you about limited-time airline sales.
            just some suggestions :-)

Comment

i just really hope they go down once summer rolls around

Comment

It's ridiculous. The first time I flew out to see Beau I didn't pay more than $250 and now it's looking like I'm going to pay $500something. I can't afford that!

Comment

Last summer when I first met my SO, my ticket to England cost less than $1000USD. Looking at prices for this summer, the cheapest ticket I have found is about $1200USD. It's getting ridiculous! I think it does have to do with gas prices too. The higher up they go, the higher airline tickets seem to get too.
                  "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
                  Made it official: September 17, 2010
                  Got engaged: January 15, 2012
                  Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
                  Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
                  Got married: November 21, 2012
                  Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
                  Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

Airline tickets are expected to be quite high this Summer, looks like they'll stay that way for a while, too Anyway, here's an article about alternatives and stuff for anyone looking for US to Europe tickets, hope it helps someone! https://www.onlinetravelreview.com/2...e-this-summer/
                    Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Absolutely ridiculous x_x

When I went to China last year for my semester abroad, August 25th to December 16th, roundtrip was 1200 usd. Now roundtrip for early summer is easily 1600+ USD, for the same nonstop flight!

Comment

i was flying to england and my SO to the states for 700-900 dollars. now its 1,300 for the summer and goes down again to 800 after the summer. its ridculous, a 500 dollar hike for summer travel?

in other news, i got a fantastic deal from detroit to cali for 200 round trip.

Comment

It cost me 1500 USD the last time and now it's almost 300 dollars more. ): One way tickets are the same price as round trip. Wtf?

Comment

Aw, this really sucks. Ray and I are finally trying to plan out an end of summer visit, but money is definitely an issue for us. I've been noticing a slight hike in price... I get alerts when prices are going down for our cities (Toronto and Vegas) and usually it's around $200 USD. Yesterday I got an email saying the low price was $320 USD... WTF...

Comment

Aw, this really sucks. Ray and I are finally trying to plan out an end of summer visit, but money is definitely an issue for us. I've been noticing a slight hike in price... I get alerts when prices are going down for our cities (Toronto and Vegas) and usually it's around $200 USD. Yesterday I got an email saying the low price was $320 USD... WTF...

Comment

Working...
                              X