Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you give up your friendship?

If you wer

if your friend didn't get along with your SO?

Comment

No.
      Just because they both love/like me doesn't mean they will have things in common and get along with each other. I wouldn't expect my SO to drop friends just because i didn't like them, it's not fair.
      As long as there is air in my lungs... there is a chance

Comment

No.

Well, it would really depend. Why don't they like the person I'm with and are they antagonizing my boyfriend? If it's a simple dislike, then no. Plenty of my friends have dated men I don't like.

Comment

I don't like my friend's boyfriend either. I just don't meet up with him.

Comment

No, not if it's just dislike.

But in my case my ex-bestfriend(? what do I call her now?) did things with the intention of hurting me and/or my boyfriend with the reasoning that we (me and her) were drifting. /:

Comment

No.

My SO's roommate doesn't really like me. Or, rather he feels uncomfortable around me, which I think is similar. My SO has been trying to get us to do more things together so we can get to know each other more. That kind of annoys me because I feel like we are both forced to be around each other when we don't want to be, but we do it for my boyfriend.

I would probably be the opposite from my SO and just not include my friend in conversations or activities involving my SO. I don't think it's anything to lose a friendship over. We don't all have to like the same people.

Comment

Depending on how you look at it I sort of did. However that was not the only reason, merely the last straw.

My best friend of 9 years started out super supportive of the relationship but as time went on she was becoming jealous to the point that she was making desperate moves to find a man of her own. I couldn't even talk to her about my SO because of it. She refused to talk to him even if I was in the chat with them because she claimed she was afraid of him. Why, I'll never know. I also thought she was the one person who wasn't seeing race as part of the issue but I remember one day when I had driven an hour to go see her and take her to something I had paid for, I was joking around and she started harassing me saying, "just because you're dating a black guy doesn't mean you're black." She called him a slew of names, claimed he made me "stupid and weak" and in July tried sabotaging the relationship.

To me it's not about choosing your friend over your SO. It's about respect. If you cannot respect my choices and not act as a friend should and support me even if you're not in agreement then it's probably better if you hit the door. I will tolerate concern if its intention is my well-being and happiness, but not when it's disguising your own insecurity and stupidity, doesn't matter how long I've known you or how much respect I may have held for you at one point.

Comment

If they just didn't get along, then no I wouldn't. That can easily be solved by not hanging out with them at the same time and keeping them separate. If it were more and they were being vindictive and unsupportive for no reason, then probably yes. I don't want to be around people who hurt me, so I'd break it off.

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
                  <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
                  The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
                  <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
                  <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
                  Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
                  Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

i am already in this sort of situation. its not that my friend and my SO have been arguing/not getting along, its that she chooses to ignore the fact that he exists and has said rude things about us to our mutual friends, things like "long distance relationships aren't real" and negative things about my relationship. she had a party while my SO was visiting me and we went, and she only greeted him and nothing more, did not talk to him or get the chance to know him. before i was in a LDR, she was always kind a rude/bad friend and constantly saying negative things about everyone/everything and i haven't been close with her in a while, so her acting like this actually helps me in wanting to break off my friendship with her because she is completely un-supportive of our relationship. like i said shes been acting like this for a while, so it just gives me a good reason to decide its time to stop being friends with her.

Comment

Nope. Lots of my friends have been with guys I disapproved of. I would tell them "I don't like him". Then when they break up I'd say "TOLD YA SO!" hehe But I don't have to hang out with them so whatever.

Comment

I wouldn't give up any of my friendships. When he and my friends are together, it's for short amounts of time anyway. He lives in England, and they'll always be in the US. As long as they aren't intentionally being rude and disrespectful, I see no reason to not be friends with them.
                        "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
                        Made it official: September 17, 2010
                        Got engaged: January 15, 2012
                        Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
                        Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
                        Got married: November 21, 2012
                        Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
                        Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

As long as my friends are civil to my boyfriend, I wouldn't stop being friends with them just because they didn't like him. However, If they were assholes to him fo no reason, out they go!
                          "We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love " ~ Theodore Seuss Geisel.

Comment

Luckily, my friends (so far) are and have been supportive of my LDR. If they didn't like Chris but respect the fact that we're together and don't try to sabotage my relationship, then that's fine. Everyone's entitled to their own opinions. But if they disrespect Chris or try to separate us, then I'd have a long talk with them before parting ways.

Comment

I wouldn't give up a friendship. But I'm lucky enough that all my friends like my SO and all his friends like me.

Comment

Working...
                              X