To Countdown or Not to Countdown?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To Countdown or Not to Countdown?

You can read about it in-depth in my latest blog entry, but my SO and I now have the tentative time frame that we would like to close the distance in a year and a half. We must also be "established" in certain ways during that time, too. The talks are still in their infancy, but to have that much down, is rather miraculous!

Maybe you can help me; I'm completely on the fence about adding something to my signature. I would like to put a countdown clock in for closing the distance to keep me excited and motivated, but as the time frame is tentative...maybe that would be setting myself up for disappointment. Should I add a countdown to my signature or not?

Of course you should! It's a great way to keep yourself excited for your distance closing. However, for you, I would just add (tentative) to your countdown just to make sure you keep your feet on the ground. If it somehow gets delayed before then, then it is pretty easy to change it. If it gets closer, and the move becomes definite, then it is a great feeling of accomplishment when you take that word "tentative" off of there. Then you can get excited!
    National Novel Writing Month Participant- 2010, 2011, 2012
    National Novel Writing Month Winner- 2010, 2011, 2012

Current Writing Project: Wait Until Next Year

Comment

It's up to you, of course. Sometimes people want to take it day by day, but others want to know how much time is left. I am the type that likes countdowns because they give me peace of mind.

Comment

I would add it. My closing the distance date is relative. We'll definitely be closing the distance around that time, but it may be a month or two longer, but I just have a good estimate up now. I just like the whole countdown element. It gives me something to look forward to and strive towards.

Comment

I love having a countdown for anything! I like seeing the days get fewer and fewer. Sometimes, it's what keeps me sane. I would go with what bigmac said though. I would add the word tentative. To me, it would be like one more obstacle down in closing the distance since you now know the definite date. It's something small, but sometimes it might be what you need.
          "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
          Made it official: September 17, 2010
          Got engaged: January 15, 2012
          Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
          Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
          Got married: November 21, 2012
          Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
          Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

I definitely would if I was you! I am a huge counter...I have countdowns for everything. I find especially with the distance, that countdowns make it a heck of a lot easier on me, and also keep me sane. xD You should create a ticker, and have it listed as tentative. You can always edit it if the date changes, whether it be moved up or farther away from your intended date.

"Do I love you? My God, if your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches."

Like a drum, my heart never stops beating for you.

Comment

I don't want to be the one debbie-downer here, but I personally wouldn't do it. Of course its ultimately up to you! But I will share my experiences. So, my SO and I decided to get married in 2012. We were going to work really hard to save enough money to get married, and he was going to move down here with me for my senior year before we moved back up north to live. Well, after starting a little bit of wedding planning, telling select people of our plans, etc., he called me up and said that he didn't think it was the wisest thing to do. Of course, he was totally right and I'm glad we're waiting at least another year, but after getting my hopes up and getting really excited, it hurt really bad. I was crushed. Not saying this will happen to you, but be careful. I love timers too. Actualy, I'm a little obsessed with counting down days until events happen. Haha. But keep inmind what can result if plans fall through. I may have been just a bit foolish and become too obsessed with idea, I will definitely admit that, but it happens really easily.

There are benefits and drawbacks to both sides, but think carefully, and keep your feet on the ground, like an above poster said. =)

Comment

I counted down the first time we were apart and looking at it everyday made the days crawl. This time I didn't use one and the time has flown by now that I'm not concentrated at how many days are left.

Comment

Working...
                X