Are you saving to close the distance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you saving to close the distance?

Are you saving up for expenses that you might incur when you close the distance?

Our closing the distance scenario is still sort of vague just because it all depends on where, when, and if my SO gets a job. I haven't really given too much thought to us closing the distance because the details- well, there really aren't any details right now, but as his graduation date gets closer and closer, I am starting to wonder should I be saving up to close the distance.

Were way way way too young to close the distance right now but, i'm hoping that we'll last that long and eventually close it.

Anyway, if i were in your position i would be saving up.
    Hopefully he can get a job but, what if he doesn't?
    I would at least have a bit of money and a backup plan.
    sigpic

Comment

My SO and I both definitely saving up to close the distance. I'm not working and my SO is but with visits and bills and things we both need its hard to know when we will be able to be closer. I want to be able to pay for at least three months rent maybe even six without having a job. He and I are both planners so it works for us.

Comment

When my So left from 5 months of visiting and I knew I would be going to him to close the distance I got three jobs and put everything away in savings that I possibly could. I have about $7000 saved in 4 months so I think I did pretty well and should be okay when I get there.

Comment

Haven't started saving up yet, but i plan to kick butt after this summer and work hard. Idk how we will close the distance, i actually been thinking about this alot lately. Some things, but i have to stop myself from thinking to far ahead, just cause i dont think were ready to make that full commitment yet, i still need certaint things from him before we plan this far ahead yet, plus were both still pretty young, but this is definatly the plan to start saving!
          I love you Nathan <3
          sigpic
          5/25/09 <3

Comment

I have and am still saving up. I think you should start saving as much as you can.

Comment

i know when i visit her for 6 months i'll still be saving up for it yeah

Comment

We are both saving. He is working side-jobs and for co-op now, until he graduates next month, and then will be working full-time. I will be working full-time over the summer, and hold two part-time jobs while at school. We have two years until we will be closing the distance but we both really want to be able to get married and buy a house together basically right after i graduate. At this point, every little bit counts.

Comment

I've been saving since the day he left. I figure, right now it's for trips back and forth, but if I keep saving like I have been, I'll be able to save up some money before no time at all. No matter what happens, if we make it to close the distance or not, I should have a nice amount saved.

Comment

Right now, I'm saving up for my visit there in July. However, we do plan on closing the distance next year so I'm planning on starting to save when I get back. Hopefully, I'll have a real job and will be able to save up more money. I know I'll need as much as I can save since it'll be an international move for me.
                    "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
                    Made it official: September 17, 2010
                    Got engaged: January 15, 2012
                    Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
                    Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
                    Got married: November 21, 2012
                    Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
                    Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

I'm not saving, but mainly because I don't have much disposable income to save. He has been saving, though. We're going to be together in about a month for good, so I am hoping the cost isn't too insane. I guess the fact that he has money offsets the fact that I really have none.

Comment

Originally posted by Micah View Post
                        I'm not saving, but mainly because I don't have much disposable income to save. He has been saving, though. We're going to be together in about a month for good, so I am hoping the cost isn't too insane. I guess the fact that he has money offsets the fact that I really have none.
                        I have no money either. I work part time and live paycheck to paycheck - literally coming down to pennies every two weeks. But I made a ton of lifestyle changes and I've already saved $300+ in the period of 4 weeks.

Comment

We definitely were right from the beginning. When we met I was still a full time student, but we had made plans to go backpacking, so as soon as I graduated from polytechnic I got a full time job, worked about 10 hours a day and saved as much money as I can. It was tough at the beginning because I've never had to save a cent in my life, but I found determination works wonders. I made big lifestyle changes and cut my spending down to slightly more than a quarter of what it used to be and now have more than enough money to help me live there until I find a job when I move there for school (backpacking has been pushed back a couple of years).

He is an excellent money saver, much better than I am. He spends only 250-300 USD a month, on rent, gas, and food. The biggest lifestyle change he made was riding his bike as much as he could instead of driving, that reduced a big sum on gas. (:

I think it's a good idea to start saving to close the distance so you have the privilege of considering various options, knowing that you have that amount of savings to live off while looking for a job, or to pay for your visas, airfare, first however many months of rent, or any other costs involved.

Comment

I'm saving a bit, I don't really have a big income, but I always try to prevent spending much money.

I know I'll probably need it in the future. Considering I'll be the one to move... and in Japan they don't really have daycares, so I don't have much chances of working if we have a child. Which we want around the time I graduate (3 years from now), meaning he will be our family's only income. He has a well paying job and he also don't seem to worry about money, even if he has to feed 3 mouths for 1-2 years. But I would like to have my own money... just in case.

Comment

I wish! I have a job right now that is just enough to pay my bills. I have my master's degree (and a ton of student loans to go along with it), so I'm really hoping in the next couple months I can find a better job. Only then can I start paying off my debt (which is key for me before I even think about moving to him) and saving to close the distance.

Comment

Working...
                              X