What do you do to stay positive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you do to stay positive?

What do you do to lift your mood when things are getting bad and you're really missing your SO?

Just do anything to brake the way you're feeling at the time and keep your mind focused on other things.
    Myself, I go for a run, a swim a bike ride or sometimes just take the dog out for a walk.

Exercise releases endorphins which is your bodys natural feel good chemicals, it also releases adrenaline, serotonin, and dopamine. All of which work together to generally make you feel a whole lot better, as well as decreasing your stress hormones. Physical activity's been proven to help people deal with mild depression, and although we might not be suffering from that we sure might have some of those symptoms while dealing with the stress of a LDR.

Of course there's other things. But generally keeping busy is the gist of it, whatever works for you. Some people read or write, others listen to music or look through pictures of their loved ones. Planning trips with my man helps me a lot.

Hope this helps.

Comment

I think the best way to stay positive is just to stay busy. I know that before my student teaching started way back in January and my SO had just left from a visit, it was really hard to stay positive because I had so much time to focus on how much I was missing my SO. Once my student teaching started though and I had so much to do with that, it was easier to not fall into those pits of despair. It still happened sometimes though, and I think it's ok to be sad. In those times when I'm really, really missing him, I just pull out some ice cream and cry if I need to.
      "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
      Made it official: September 17, 2010
      Got engaged: January 15, 2012
      Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
      Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
      Got married: November 21, 2012
      Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
      Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

I am now so used to the distance that I rarely get sad, but if being busy doesn't help, I recommend:

1. going out with girlfriends
        2. going out with guys and see how much better your boyfrined is
        3. treat yourself - take a long shower, put facial masks on, do your nails and watch a romantic comedy while eating your favourite sweets
        4. do something for your boyfriend - write him a letter, buy/make him something to send
        5. play with pictures you have together
        6. rearrange your room and go through your old stuff or clothes, throw out things you don't want anymore
        7. this may sound silly, but since I will be in a LDR for another 3 years, I have 4 different countdowns for closer dates to make that distance more bearable

Comment

When my girlfriend and I are having a bit of a tough time with the distance, sometimes we have a date together. The first time we had it, I didn't know what I we were going to do and she thought it was a stupid idea. I had some sparkling cider (fake wine) and her mom brought her some spaghetti (completely by random) so it was like a nice little date! We just talked and acted like we were together. It was harvest moon where I was so I bundled up and got some tea and watched it. We even did homework but it was still nice. That moment is what saved our relationship in fact. We were pretty much done, but it was so nice and romantic that we realized how much we still liked each other.

This doesn't work for my girlfriend, but yeah, I keep reminding myself that this will end. I'm able to bear just about anything because I know that it won't be forever.

Comment

If you're gaving a tough time ending the distance, find a hobby. They keep you busy while waiting for your SO. Who knows? You may also find a hobby that can produce a gift for an anniversay, birthday, etc.!
            National Novel Writing Month Participant- 2010, 2011, 2012
            National Novel Writing Month Winner- 2010, 2011, 2012

Current Writing Project: Wait Until Next Year

Comment

Like Lovinghim, I'm used to the distance, but it still sneaks up on you sometimes! I find that listening to music that has nothing to do with him helps a bunch. Since he likes country, I listen to something he's clueless about, like mariachi! (Epa! LOL) If I listen to something that he likes, it reminds me of him.

I also take a few moments to really focus on being in the moment. There's usually something wonderful at that moment that I'm missing out on because I'm missing Farm Boy. It's not any big thing, sometimes just focusing on my cat purring or a nice blue sky helps me get grounded again.
              17 years LDR out of 18 years of marriage. Oh, yeah, plus a year of LDR courtship.

Comment

this is always a struggle for me, but i get through it after awhile. Usally going out helps, or if im at home ill re-read my letter he sent me, and remind myself patience is key. Or ill toss on a good movie and try to keep my mind busy
                I love you Nathan <3
                sigpic
                5/25/09 <3

Comment

Go out with some friends, get some dinner, or cook! Hmmm, listen to music, watch TV, or go shopping I hope this helps!

Comment

Before I'm such a crying baby...and yes I am,,until now i'm being too emotional everytime I'm missing my SO....
                    since its my first ever LDR,,at first its hard for me to cope up,,but since crying and self pity wont help..it will just make you sick..and make my SO pissed off(hehehe).,he gets mad everytime he is seeing me on skype that I'm cryin'..he said better to stop it or else I go crazy,.he said I must be strong,,just think of the positive side that in due time WE WILL BE TOGETHER,COZ WE BELONG...
                    ...thats why everytime I feel the sadness of missing him,,I will just simply turn on the Music,,and listen to our songs,,then I will open my scrapbook and look at our pictures together,,those memories we had from Korea until to my ht Phi...
                    but you know what helps me the most,,is when I BECAME A MEMBER OF THIS SITE,OF THE LFAD COMMUNITY...this helps me a lot,coz through this I can get some idea,,I can share my feelings,.and get some advice with people who has the same situation I'm facing now....
                    ...but most especially I PRAY...Praying will help a lot,,to think that God is with us...Nothing is impossible with him..in his own will...ME AND MY SO will be together Soon....
                    dianelovesjeremy

Comment

Keep myself busy..I will watch movie, or go out with my friends..

Comment

Go running. Hang out with friends who won't down-talk my LDR. Do homework - doesn't keep me positive, but keeps me occupied! lol

Comment

I lose electrons.

ahahahaha...

Uhh. Well, I like making things for my boyfriend-- not always to give to him, but just as manifestations of my love for him. It makes me feel better because I'm able to express how I feel and to produce something with meaning. Other times I just lose myself in movies or TV shows.
                          Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
                          Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
                          Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

Hang out with friends, do homework, watch TV. Basically live my life like I would even if he was here. My life without him at college is pretty similar to the life I had with him at college, it just involves sleeping alone a lot more.
                            ". . . We obviously have to come to accept it, but that doesn't stop it from gnawing at us day by day.
                            The best we can do is enjoy our time together, anticipate our reunions, and remain passionate and loyal through distance." ~Mike <3

~*~11.21.2010~*~

Comment

When I need to shake myself out a blue mood, if I have the house to myself I'll turn up the radio and crazy dance around my room. Works every time

Comment

Working...
                              X