No announcement yet.

has your SO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah she has and they actually got along really well, which surprised the hell out of me

Comment

He's met my mum! I doubt he'll ever meet my dad, I haven't talked to him in several years.
      But he met my mum after we'd been dating for 6 months, LD for 4 months of that. My mum really liked him, but he was nervous and uncharacteristically quiet, lol. He's meeting my sisters and grandma when he's over in a few weeks! They're all telling me I have to make sure he's not nervous so they can hear more of his adorable accent!
      I met his parents and sister last time I was in Dublin. Went out for birthday dinner with his dad and sister when we were down in Cork (he and I both had our birthday a few days before), and it went very very well I was going to be meeting his mum a few days later, and she told Loic she was excited to meet me as his dad and sister apparently loved me!! Dinner with her was lovely, but I was a bit quiet and mopey, as I had strep throat, not fun!

Love will not betray you, dismay or enslave you, it will set you free

Met: Cork, Ireland - December 31, 2009 • Started Dating: Cork, Ireland - May 22, 2010 • Became LD: July 15, 2010 • My Move From Canada to UK: October 26, 2011
      Closed the distance June 18, 2012!

Comment

You're not alone in your fears!

My guy comes to visit this Monday for 10 days, and the meeting of the parents will be sometime early next week. My parents aren't quite aware yet of the fact we're actually committed to each other. Despite the fact I'm 23, I'm currently living in their house. I can't explain a disappearance for 10 days without lying, and I shouldn't have to lie at my age. I'm adult. Yet, I am absolutely terrified about their meeting. My family has particular 'standards' for what they deem acceptable, and that mostly falls under a guy who is similar to my brother with a 'preppy' outward look. They would never be entirely rude or judgmental, but I'm not confident that they'll be so accepting of his metal/hard rocker attire - combat boots and long hair included.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Dziubka View Post
          And not only did my boyfriend meet my mum, but our mums also met. They were around only for two days and I was sort of nervous because between our families there's not only the cultural differences but also a massive language barrier. I was scared that it'd get awkward because no one would be able to understand what the other one's trying to say, but it went really smoothly.
          We had a lot of fun together (my mum, his mum and us) and even though there were a lot of "tell her that"'s and "ask her if"s, communication wasn't half as difficult as I had expected. I had totally underestimated our mums' flexibility.[COLOR="Silver"]
          Oh no, I just realised that in two weeks my family and his will meet for the first time. My dad is fluent in English but is often unable to decipher accents different from our's and it takes time for him to process what is being said. My boyfriend's family knows my accent and dad speaks slower so they shouldn't have a problem but I'm worried my dad will have to keep asking them to repeat themselves. /: My mum's English is much better but she takes a long time to warm up or just doesn't talk much so I don't know how involved she will be in conversations. I hope they don't get too frustrated trying to talk to each other. /:

Comment

My SO and I have both met each other's families. I was so nervous before meeting his, but it went really well. I think it went even better when he met my mom, stepfather, and sister. Maybe because it was a shorter amount of time and in a public place. He met my mom first on skype which I think helped to prepare both of them because they got to have an idea of what the other was like before actually meeting.
            My SO met my father just last week when he was here. It went A LOT better than I thought it would.
            I suggest just hoping for the best. You love your SO. Your family loves you. As long as he shows that he cares about you and shows respect for your family, there hopefully won't be any problems. Good luck!
            "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
            Made it official: September 17, 2010
            Got engaged: January 15, 2012
            Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
            Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
            Got married: November 21, 2012
            Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
            Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

My SO met my mother and other family members and I met my SO's family as well. I was very nervous before meeting her parents for the first time, but it went well. There was nothing to worry about. At all. The same goes for when my SO met my mother for the first time. My mother was excited to meet her, but my SO was still incredible shy and nervous. They got along very well though!

Comment

Yeah he has met my parents. They both love him because he is very kind and they can see he loves me more than anything My dad used to hate the idea i had a bf in Canada, and i thought all hell would let loose when they met but actually my dad could see i was happy and that he treated my like a princess and he got used to it and he loves my SO too My mum likes to go all mummy on him too :')

Comment

Originally posted by 13000km View Post
                  Oh no, I just realised that in two weeks my family and his will meet for the first time. My dad is fluent in English but is often unable to decipher accents different from our's and it takes time for him to process what is being said. My boyfriend's family knows my accent and dad speaks slower so they shouldn't have a problem but I'm worried my dad will have to keep asking them to repeat themselves. /: My mum's English is much better but she takes a long time to warm up or just doesn't talk much so I don't know how involved she will be in conversations. I hope they don't get too frustrated trying to talk to each other. /:
                  It will be fine.
                  Our mums didn't have a common language at all. My family doesn't speak Polish, my boyfriend's mum knows just a few words in German and neither of them speaks English (or any other language) well enough. So really they had to make do with smiling, hand signs, a very limited vocabulary and the help of my or my boyfriend (who doesn't really speak German very well either).
                  If they're willing to communicate they'll make it work

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

I met my SO's parents just once, before we were even official. It was super scary for me. Especially since his family doesn't speak English and we had to communicate in Spanish. I'm fluent, but sometimes when they talk fast or use a whole bunch of slang I can't understand them.

My SO's been living with me here for 3 months so we've hung out with my family and extended family quite a bit. In fact, we're going to dinner tomorrow with my dad. He LOVES my family and my family likes him too. But really, my SO is great, what's not to like?

Comment

She has met my parents...they met her, surprisingly enough, a couple days after we officially became a couple, at a parent's weekend at my college. They didn't really have a problem with her; they actually thought she was a pretty nice person.

The only thing you need to remember is to just be yourself. Most parents are pretty hard about most of the people their kids date and will ask a bunch of questions, but they're just being protective. Otherwise, just remember to be yourself and nice to your parents, and you should be fine.
                      National Novel Writing Month Participant- 2010, 2011, 2012
                      National Novel Writing Month Winner- 2010, 2011, 2012

Current Writing Project: Wait Until Next Year

Comment

My parents are no longer here. We'll be living together for several months before I ever meet his parents. Should be interesting!

"If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you.”
                        - A. A. Milne

Comment

My parents met my SO during the first time we met in person.. Before they met him, they are kinda disagree about the relationship coz they said he might not be real.. But after they met him, they start to love him..and they get along so well.. which makes me happy. :-) Dont worry, everything will be alright, just ask your SO to be himself..:-)

Comment

He has met both of my parents. Although he has spent more time with my mom than my dad. He only met my dad for a few minutes because we were in and out. He's also met my grandparents, who are really more like my parents, and they also liked him. My mom of course wants to spend more time with him and get to know him better because she's afraid my son and I are going to hop on a plane one day and just move up there to be with him

His mother passed away last November, but I met her very briefly years and years ago. They weren't close so I don't feel we would have spent much time with her either. His dad and I also met years ago, and we got along well. He even has a running joke about me and my visits always bringing bad weather.

Comment

He has met my mom, because we've been friends forever. He was constantly at my house when I went out with my ex (one of his friends), and my mom loves him, because they always talked about music and books. My dad hasn't ever met anyone I've dated. He lives in Arizona and I live in Philadelphia, so kind of far to meet a SO.

I've known both of his parents for a while, and love them both. I've actually been visiting them periodically since he's been gone. They are such good people, so welcoming and loving. They always greet me with hugs and kisses and tell me they love me and how I'm already like a part of their family. It's so nice after my last relationship, when my SO's mother absolutely hated me for reasons I don't know or understand.
                              Last edited by rori795; May 28, 2011, 11:30 AM. Reason: wanted to add the part about his parents.
                              Why do you wait for me?
                              How do you wait for me?
                              I'm lost and alone without you here in my arms.
                              I'm lost and alone without you here by my side.
                              Here's a song for you, lovely
                              Remember that it's for you only, for you only.
                              My heart is caught in a landslide
                              And it beats for you only, for you only.

-"My Lovely" by Eisley

Comment

they didnt approve they do not want me with him long term :"(

Comment

Working...
                                X