Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visa to Australia

Hello,

Although I am European and my boyfriend is English, I have always dreamt about living in Australia. I have heard that it takes up to one year to get a visa if you have an occupation that is in demand - mine is not (I study journalism and French).

Any experience about the whole process? Thanks

Hey, I'm an American whose moved to Australia to be with her boyfriend. I'd suggest talking at australiaforum.com for any specifics you have, but generally speaking, the work visas will take about 2-3 years for you to get unless you're in a higher demand job, then it's about a year. Australia has staggered wait periods depending on the job type.

Since you're young, however, you could try doing the Working Holiday visa and live there for a year to just enjoy some time there. The WHV allows you to work and travel around.

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

Hey, well, I haven't really gone through the whole process yet, but having my SO in australia, I basically know the whole www.immi.gov.au by heart by now.
      So if youre from UK (although Im not that sure - you said youre european and your bf is english) - then youre lucky - cause you can do working holiday, and it just requires some money on your account... However, if youre not ... I guess student visa could be an option ? Youre allowed to work on that up to 20hrs/week during school periods, and full week during your time off.

Being Polish, it took me no longer than 3-4 months since I received all the application (but it included going to the specific doctors, getting your chest xrays). Can't remember now, but I think it didnt take more than a month since my complete application form landed in the embassy. So if you study in UK, id consider student exchange or a year abroad.. perhaps your uni has an agreement with one of australian institutions.

And from what I know, unless youve got recognized qualifications (theres a list of recognized european unis at the immigration website), the skilled migrant visa requires 2 yrs of work experience in the field of studies too.

Whatever you do, good luck! And, for those, who dont know yet.. Australia is a great place to live. It's just pain in the ass that its sooo far away from everything. )

Comment

Working...
      X