Time diffrence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time diffrence

Any one ever have an issue with a time diffrence from your SO? As of recently it's been hard he's back to working. He got off a Deployment and was on R&R well now back to 70 hours a week. He works when I sleep and I am working when he's off and when I am off he's sleeping. It's become very agravating I haven't been able to talk to him on the phone. I am hoping soon his work schedule changes. I just want to hear his voice damn it. How do people deal with this?

We just do, since there's not much to be done about it, except to get through it My poor boyfriend loses tons of sleep in order for us to be able to talk, since he's 7 hours ahead and I don't get home from work until 6pm. I know it's hard on him, but it makes me appreciate him that much more. Just try to work it out as best you can, until the hours work out better. Not great advice, but there's not a lot of ways to remedy the situation. Good luck.
    Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

We do. My SO is 10 hours (usually 12 hours) ahead of me. We're also both busy with uni and school. Which means that we can only talk once a week, on the weekend. It's not easy, but we always have something to look forward to.

Comment

Most people in here have issue with time difference.
        My SO and I have 6 hours difference, and just like you, when I sleep he's at work, and when he sleeps then I'm at work.
        Even though we have the time difference, we still manage to chat nearly everyday. It can be 10 min or more than an hour. When he's at work and at break time, he chat with me on his phone. Otherwise I'm always in front of my computer, and whenever he's not on his computer, he use his phone.

You are hoping for a work schedule changes? I think it's better to arrange chats instead just waiting. Isn't there a day or two where he doesn't work? Find out when it's best for him to chat or talk. If you don't work in weekend, try to wake up early or stay a little late so you can talk to him.
        If both of you are busy, but have facebook then I recommend sending videos (message) to each other so whenever he has time, he could watch your video and reply back to you. You get to see him and hear his voice, and keep that video message for years. hehe
        I wish you good luck, and hope you get to hear his voice soon.

Comment

If my boyfriend would work with me about time for calling me it'd be easier. he frustrated me when we were texting when I go there has got to be a time I only have 40 hours where i work same time M-F. He just kinda pissed me off when he said there was no time for him to call. He goes "I can text you while i am working" ya half the time I am sleeping. I'd be willing to stay up for phone calls but texts maybe a little bit but I am going to pass out they do not come fast enough for me to stay awake. Fact he promised he'd call more once he was done with his deployment he was and then it stoped. He tells me i need to talk more on the phone but doesn't call i don't know how that's suppose to work. I guess today it's just really frustrated me.

Comment

Thankfully my boyfriend and I don't have as huge a time difference as some people, he's three hours ahead of me, though it's still something we have to work around. I admit, he spoils me a bit when it comes to the time since it's usually he who stays up very late to speak with me and I don't often get up early to talk so I'm also lucky in that aspect. But even if that wasn't the case and he wanted me to wake up earlier on some days I absolutely would make that alteration in my sleeping patterns to speak with him. It's difficult but that's just what it's about, compromises and sacrifices, taking time away from some other areas (obviously not work but maybe from sleep or hobbies and nonessential activities) in order to give each other the attention you both need. It's tough but with some communication and talking to each other and figuring out your schedules, I'm sure you'll find some areas throughout the week where you'll be able to have some together time.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosebud View Post
              Thankfully my boyfriend and I don't have as huge a time difference as some people, he's three hours ahead of me, though it's still something we have to work around. I admit, he spoils me a bit when it comes to the time since it's usually he who stays up very late to speak with me and I don't often get up early to talk so I'm also lucky in that aspect. But even if that wasn't the case and he wanted me to wake up earlier on some days I absolutely would make that alteration in my sleeping patterns to speak with him. It's difficult but that's just what it's about, compromises and sacrifices, taking time away from some other areas (obviously not work but maybe from sleep or hobbies and nonessential activities) in order to give each other the attention you both need. It's tough but with some communication and talking to each other and figuring out your schedules, I'm sure you'll find some areas throughout the week where you'll be able to have some together time.
              Rosebud is absolutely right, compromise is essential for communication when you've got a time difference. Sometimes it seems like the one staying up late does all the compromising, but making sure you're always there on time is also a compromise on its own. Being able to get the communication issues sorted is really important to the relationship, regardless of how often you talk, or what technology you're using, what matters is being able to work it out together.
              Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

My SO and i have a 7 hour time difference, Lots of late nights and early mornings! Compromise is the way to go, if you both make the effort its totally do-able.
                As long as there is air in my lungs... there is a chance

Comment

Originally posted by leonsfangirl View Post
                  My SO and i have a 7 hour time difference, Lots of late nights and early mornings! Compromise is the way to go, if you both make the effort its totally do-able.
                  we are exactly the same. I don't know how do you do it guys, that is extreme or not but we talk two times a day. Usually I wake up every morning at 6 AM (which is 11 PM for him) to talk an hour or little bit less and than we work around my night (when you arrive back from school or when he wakes up on the weekend lol) 7 hour is sucks but we got to used to it. We got our daily routine

Comment

Me and my SO have 5 hours difference and since we both are really busy with our lives, so far we communicate by email in weekdays and then through MSN or YM every weekend.
                    Honestly it's kinda hard since I always miss him, but there's nothing we could do much. Our way of communication is just like that, but we are fine so far.

Comment

Well this is the down side of LDR, heheh.. but 5-6 hours difference does really sucks. My work demand me to be at work at 6am. Less sleeping hours for sure, because he call me sometimes almost at midnight when he finish work.
                      We had issue once over chat on internet, cant blame him, when i finish work and relax, he just start his day at office.
                      So we rarely chat lately.. but we send each other offlines msg.. and i wrote and post him a letter, with pink envelope every two weeks. Just my trademark, hehe..
                      I just think that its much better since i w=could think and wrote something deeper, what i think and what my dreams and fears etc, its more poured on paper. And he will had time to read it after work without thinking its something like job related stuff... as he work with computer he somehow tends to be "cold" when we talk on computer.
                      So yeah... should compromise a lot!

---------- Post added at 10:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 AM ----------

Well this is the down side of LDR, heheh.. but 5-6 hours difference does really sucks. My work demand me to be at work at 6am. Less sleeping hours for sure, because he call me sometimes almost at midnight when he finish work.
                      We had issue once over chat on internet, cant blame him, when i finish work and relax, he just start his day at office.
                      So we rarely chat lately.. but we send each other offlines msg.. and i wrote and post him a letter, with pink envelope every two weeks. Just my trademark, hehe..
                      I just think that its much better since i w=could think and wrote something deeper, what i think and what my dreams and fears etc, its more poured on paper. And he will had time to read it after work without thinking its something like job related stuff... as he work with computer he somehow tends to be "cold" when we talk on computer.
                      So yeah... should compromise a lot!

Comment

I used to be 16 hours ahead of him, I guess fixed schedules worked for us. He is a polyphasic sleeper, so he doesn't sleep through his night, which frees up a lot of time for us to be on skype. We would talk at the same time every day I wasn't hanging out with friends after work. See if you can find one specific time in the day for you to talk, or maybe just a couple of times a week. You don't have to be completely inflexible with this, but having that time set aside makes it easier in terms of coordinating schedules.

Comment

I only have 5 hours, which i dont think is too bad. 2 days a week we only get an hour or so to talk. 3 days we get like 4 hours to talk and at the weekends we have more because he isnt at college When he used to work we only spoke for 10mins a day (he'd get up specially early to get ready for work before i came home) to skype and then that would be it all week. Until the weekend in which we'd have about 5 hours max a day before he'd have to go to work. There was also days when his hours changed at work that we didnt get to speak at all for a few days. That used to really get to me.

We used to leave each other offline messages on MSN for eachother when we got back. So when he left for work id leave him a message for when he got back. Then he'd write me one for when i wake up in the morning. It gets easier, you just need to get used to it for a while. We also used to leave little voice recordings on occasions too
                          It'll get easier

Comment

Originally posted by Rosebud View Post
                            It's difficult but that's just what it's about, compromises and sacrifices, taking time away from some other areas (obviously not work but maybe from sleep or hobbies and nonessential activities) in order to give each other the attention you both need. It's tough but with some communication and talking to each other and figuring out your schedules.
                            So agree with Rosebud. It's all about sacrifices and compromises. I'm either 2-and-a-half or 3-and-a-half hours ahead of my SO. Despite the relatively small time difference, sometimes it can be difficult especially if our schedules don't match up for some reason. I often stay up late so I can chat longer with him, which results in getting up late. Well, if it happens during the weekends it's ok. But during weekdays sometimes I only sleep for 4 or 5 hours because of staying up. I'm definitely ok with that, and my SO is ok if we can only chat for, say, an hour. In the past he also tried to get up earlier so we could chat.
                            Yes it can be tough sometimes but the same time the ups-and-downs about time difference adds up the spice to any LDR, or at least mine lol. It's also like a test to the couple, see if they are determined and strong enough to conquer the time difference.
                            Cheers.

Comment

i have a 14 hour time difference with my boy, but luckily its summer, i'm an insomniac, and he's an early bird, so from the time he wakes up till i pass out we're talking (mostly via texting, pming, or iming cause my ipod has no mic and it would be waaaaaaay expensive if he called my cell)
                              but i can totally see how if you're used to talking on the phone how that could bother you; i recently had my boy send me an audioclip of him rambling just to hear his voice XD so stuff like that might be nice? but i guess otherwise you just have to wade it out

Comment

Working...
                              X