USA to Canada or Canada to USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USA to Canada or Canada to USA

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong category.

My SO is from Indiana, United States and I'm from Ontario, Canada. We have yet to meet, as we're both 17 and he's in high school with one year left. Next summer he's planning on visiting while his family moves further away from me, then he's going to college in his new state. Our original plan was for him to move in with me once he's done with college, though recently we thought about him going to college here. Would that be a good idea, or should we stick with our original plan? We'd have more time to plan, get organized, even though it may be four 4 years until he can live with me. If he were planning on him going to college here, how could we make that possible? What forms would we need to get him, to make him eligible to go to college in Canada? Once he's done with college, he would want to start a career. Would he be able to have a job outside his country? These thoughts are running through my head at the moment, as I don't want him to put his life on hold just to live here. Now, I'm thinking of living there once he's in or done college. As I'm a drop out of high school, and I don't plan on going to college I wouldn't be jeopardizing my life as much as he would be doing. What would it take to become eligible for me to relocate and work in USA? He and I are planning on getting married. If we were to, how would that effect us if I was living there? I apologize for the questions in advance. I'm just worrying about our future, and what it'll lead to. I don't want him to regret going to college in Canada, or may not being able to find work once he's done.

- kaylamcquaig

I have a reply for you as i've gone through the US to Canada immigration route, but my internet is being shotty on me due to the rain here in Toronto, so my reply will have to wait until the morning when it's not horrible anymore.

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

M'kay! Thank you.

Comment

We did Canada to USA, on a K1 visa (fiance) ... I have our timeline here: https://squaregoods.wordpress.com/immigration/
        I have our story written up that I can send you if you want it. I can't offer school advice or the like, but I do have this to offer if you want it.

Comment

That would be great if you can send your story.

Comment

For going to school in Canada, the first thing he needs to do is look for schools in the area and then the ones that have his major. When he does that he'll have to find out what they require for international students to apply and when he applies he'll have to send in many forms, for me i had to send in my transcripts, application form and then a $68 application fee (non refundable). When he gets a letter of acceptance, he'll have to apply for a study visa either in the US or at immigration at Toronto Pearson Airport (because he'll be in ontario), where he will pay a fee of $125 for his study visa. For him it's important to know that University and College are weighted differently here in Canada than in the US, so where going to college in the US may be sufficient (since you can get degree's from colleges there) it may not be the same case here in Canada and a Uni would be better (but more expensive).

For jobs, if he wants to come and work up here the process will be a lot harder, it took me ages to get a job here and even then immigration was very hesitant to give me a work visa, but he if wanted to go that route he'd have to apply for jobs here in Canada from the states and then even him getting a job doesn't guarantee that he'll get a work visa.

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

Thanks for the information, though we decided for him to take his college in the states. This way, we have the 3 - 4 years on to decide on who's moving where.

Comment

It exceeds the character limit to send you here... :P Please pm me an email address if you wish and I'll send it.

Comment

Will do!

Comment

Working...
                  X