Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

has anyone moved to England- worked-attended school?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

has anyone moved to England- worked-attended school?

So with about 3 failed attempts now at a "closing the distance talk" with him, I have come home from England and I just can't keep doing the LDR thing anymore(money wise and mentally). We are ready to close the distance. I keep asking myself what is stopping us from one of us making a decision, and it looks like I may be the one to make the decision. I have nothing to lose, and although I haven't made a final decision, I am trying to make the first steps and get the process moving.

I was wondering if anyone had some information on moving to England, going to school there, and working....

I KNOW that there is much information on the internet and I have Googled, but it is very scattered, outdated and varied answers in other forums, websites, and the like. So I would like if anyone could give me some first hand, updated, specific information on my situation.

I am in Michigan, USA and he is in England. I have been out of high school for 4 yrs now and attending community college part time some semesters and sometimes not at all. Basically, I have some credits here but I wouldn't mind starting over since I haven't been working toward my major and I know the credits wouldn't transfer. I have been working almost full time for 2 years now and saving up money. Like I said I attend a community college and it does not have an international program at all.

What I want to know is how possible is it for an American, who is basically only a high school graduate, to attend uni or college in England from the start and obtain a degree. I know it is expensive, ect, but I would like to know the first steps. I am paying for schooling myself so going to school in either country is going to be expensive.

Going along with that^ I would like to know the first steps that go along with going to school is living there and working. I would be there indefinitely. I don't exactly plan to permanently settle, but I want to move to be with my SO and see how we are living together(which I'm sure will be fine) and if I did finish school in England, we would decide where to settle afterwards. He is pretty established in England and could help me out with student loans and supporting me, because from what I understand, people coming on a visa can not obtain help from the government.

I would also obviously not like to live off of my SO and I would like to have a job, not just to pay off school and visits back home but also to keep myself busy.

I have tried to read the UK Border Agency site but it is a bit confusing/

If anyone could give me any helpful first hand information, other than "my friend did this..." (not to be rude but that doesn't really help) and how long your process took from the first steps you made.

Thank you!

heya,
    i live in england, so if you want drop me a pm? x

Comment

Likewise, I live in England, happy to answer any questions you have?

Comment

Working...
      X