His father died suddenly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

His father died suddenly

I don't really know what to write or think at the moment.
    My SO's father died on Wednesday night (2nd November), and he told me about it yesterday night.

I'd never met his father, so it's more strange to me for that. I don't know the full details of what happened or how, but it sounds like my SO had to call an ambulance.
    Fortunately SO's mum and sister were able to help out with all the practical stuff, and they took SO to his mum's to stay for a while.

We spoke for a couple of hours last night, and I could hear that he was drinking (understandably). I messaged him saying that I can change my December flights to earlier if he wants me there, though he's said no so far. But in our earlier phone call, he admitted that he didn't know what he needed (again, understandable).

I guess where I'm at right now is wanting to fly out sooner regardless of what he's said. It's worth mentioning here that he didn't initially tell me about his father's death because he didn't want to upset me. He can be prone to personally dangerous thinking and even actions, despite being with safe loved ones (unfortunately, I speak from personal experience).
    That aside, I can relate to his loss in some ways as I lost my father suddenly when I was a teenager. For me, it took at least 5 years before I could talk about my father without crying every time. But I didn't feel like I had really managed to grow past it until about 10 years after he'd died.

I know his relationship with his father was complicated, as was my own but in different ways. He spoke last night about whether he did enough, or if there was something he could have done differently which was heartbreaking to hear. I actually remember thinking something like that myself, even though I literally couldn't possibly have done anything as my father was chronically ill and I was a teenager.

All this to say, do you think I should fly out there sooner than originally planned?
    I'm very worried about him, regardless of others being around.

I did fly out a week after he told me. I'm here now, and will be until mid January.

Comment

How is he coping?

Comment

Originally posted by xxcazaxx View Post
        How is he coping?
        I think all things considered, he's doing pretty well.

The winter is tough for him anyway, as it's full of anniversaries of other people's deaths. He's close to his in laws on his sisters side, and at least two of them have passed in the last couple of years. As he doesn't have many friends, they meant all the more to him, and had supported him in difficult times.

He has mentioned feeling pointless, and he's drinking a few beers or lager fairly frequently. I think I will talk to him about that. I don't mind him occasionally having a couple of cans, but I feel it's potentially troublesome in it's frequency. I don't want him to think that drowning his sorrows is how to cope with emotional pain.

Knowing what he's feeling, and actually expressing it is difficult for him. It's not helped by his internal dialogue (put there in part by his deceased father) about how he's useless, a waste of space and ruins everything etc.

I will be honest and say that this is easily our hardest visit yet. A lot of historical emotional stuff has come up for us both, and we've had a few arguments too. Christmas turned out to be a wash out, as we were snowed in with three cats who'd never met before. Thankfully they parted friends by the end of the week.

Comment

It's understandable that you want to be there for your SO during this difficult time, and it's commendable that you're willing to change your flights to be with him. However, it's important to respect his wishes and decisions, especially since he's going through a lot right now.

You mentioned that he initially didn't tell you about his father's death because he didn't want to upset you, so it's possible that he's also trying to protect you by not asking you to come sooner. It's important to give him space to process his emotions and grieve in his own way.

You could let him know that you're there for him and willing to change your flights if he changes his mind, but ultimately the decision should be up to him. You can continue to offer support by checking in on him regularly, listening to him, and being available if he needs to talk.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about your SO's loss. Losing a parent is never easy, and everyone grieves differently. It's good that he has his family around him to help with the practical stuff, but emotional support from loved ones is also important during this time.

If you feel like flying out sooner would be helpful and supportive for your SO, then it's worth discussing with him again. However, it's also important to respect his wishes if he feels like he needs some time alone or with his family before having visitors.

In the meantime, you can offer emotional support through regular phone calls or messages. Let him know that you're there for him if he needs to talk or if there's anything you can do to help. Encourage him to take care of himself, even if that just means getting some rest or going for a walk to clear his mind.

Grief is a difficult process, and it can take a long time to heal. Just be patient and supportive, and let your SO know that you're there for him every step of the way.

Comment

Working...
            X