Are you Optimistic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you Optimistic?

Are you optimistic about the world economy in relation to your relationship?

My boyfriend is getting laid off this week, so in selfish reasons, yes, because he's going to drive up here and stay for a while haha. but in realistic reasons, no, because he needs a job.

Comment

*sigh* no. We're both freelance art/media types. Aka no stable income in the foreseeable future unless one of us gets a job doing something else, and really with our artsy degrees and the job market I'm not sure exactly sometimes what that something else could be. I thought about going into teaching, but from what i understand the market here is terrible and it doesn't sound better down there and...yeah. Is there something that;s more negative than a pessimist? If so, I'm totally that in relation to economy/future/us. haha.

Comment

Yes. Totally.
        I think that people get too caught up in this. People are afraid of not making ends meet, of being "poor". Yet most of us are from prosperous countries. Many people don't really know what poor is. I've been in the position where I could either pay my rent or feed myself - not both. And I know that the bad times don't last forever. Many of us had grandparents that grew up in the great depression. Somehow, even though they were dirt poor, they still had happy fulfilling lives and lived to tell us about it.

It might not be easy to find a job. It might not be the exact job you always drempt about. Your house might be smaller than you'd hoped. Your car not as nice, or you might even have to keep walking. But life goes on. It's not that big a deal, imo.
        Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

I agree with Zeph. (in my experience) People who can't find jobs are rejecting jobs that they feel "over qualified" for. Well if you're dirt poor, getting a job at McDonalds for a couple months isn't as bad as not paying rent. In my hometown where the job market is not that great, I still see signs for job openings. Yeah, they're at the mall, but if you have nothing else, go for it.

Comment

I am very worried esp. since long-term we cannot be together unless he gets a really good job. He's in the USA, I'm in Europe and the only way for us to be together is to get married since I can't possibly afford to get in the States on a student visa.
            He's working now, but even with an advanced degree does not make enough to cover for his student loans and be able to live alone, and we both moved back in with our parents. We both have liberal arts degrees, so it doesn't help much.
            We were working outside our home countries together for a year and a half, but it was in a third world country where our income was enough to make a decent living there, but we would never stay there long term.

Our plan is to save as much as we can, for me to move there once the financial situation looks a little better, probably on a k1 visa, but I'm not optimistic that it will be any time soon

Also, nowadays it's not easy even to get a job in the mall or McDonalds. In most of Europe, employers prefer students because their costs are lower than employing regular workers cause the government writes off some taxes and insurances for student work. So if you've graduated, you're kinda screwed. I was making more as a student than now.
            It's not even a question of a bigger house or a car. I don't own a property, probably never will, here in Europe, cause prices have skyrocketed. I don't have a car either, cause the costs of having one outweigh the advantages. Most of my Spanish and Italian friends are the same.
            Our whole system is flawed. It will change soon, but how? It will just have to.

Comment

Well Sud is training to be a chef and aparently they are in high demand in the UK in places at the moment. So im hoping we'll be the lucky ones who will both get jobs pretty soon. I try and be optimistic about it. Im going into child care which isnt great pay but its something that is always needed and gives me so many chances at a job. Sud's dad knows a few people in Canada because he used to be a manager at hotels so my SO could find it pretty easy to get a job there. If worst comes to worst, we have said we could move to Dubai for a while because he is guaranteed a job there at a number of hotels because of his dad.
              Whatever happens we'll find away. We try and stay optimistic tho

Comment

I'm not optimistic in any aspect of life. But my girl is, and i guess that's part of the balance we have in our relationship. While she's flying with dreams and wishes, I pull her down to earth, but I'm not strong enough to pull her wayd own, so we sorta meet in the middle.
                My blog: A revisit of my most successful LDR. Posting the story of us in chapters.

Comment

Rather yes.
                  When my boyfriend and I will be able to close the distance, we'll both have Master degrees and be bi- (or in my case multi)lingual, with working experience in Poland and in Germany.
                  I'm especially optimistic about my boyfriend getting a job. With his field of study he's probably going to find a job without problems.
                  For myself I'm not that confident, because I'm getting a liberal arts degree and I don't really have high aspirations anyway. I love what I do, but right now I can't imagine putting it to actual use in a job somewhere.

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

Problem is if your country is not a part of the EU (as mine isn't yet) and you're planning to move to one that is, you can't just tell the immigration officers, "just let me in and I'll get a job at McDonald's". I can get in the country on a tourist visa, but I'm not allowed to apply for jobs until I get residence. The only way I can get residence, aside from getting married, is either a work permit or a student visa. To be able to get work permit, I need a letter from the employer, so I need to have a guaranteed job before I actually move in. The employer also needs to file papers for my permit on my behalf, and they need to wait for me until my visa is cleared. It means I have to be a stellar job candidate, a lot better than anyone from the resident country, otherwise it's just not feasible for the employer.

I have an internationally acknowledged uni degree and 6 years of work experience, but not in one specific industry. I'm not optimistic at all, and I have no solution for it at the moment. Best I can do is work on my expertise and hope for the best.

Like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. - Steve Jobs

Comment

Working...
                    X