Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally met my SO :) (And also a question about traveling on a plane under 18?)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally met my SO :) (And also a question about traveling on a plane under 18?)

My baby got here on the 13th and he's leaving on the 20th
    But so far it's been everything I'd imagined and more. He's the most amazing man I've ever met and he means sooo much to me. It's gonna be so extremely hard taking him to the airport and driving home alone and not being able to talk to him for hours. I don't know how well I'll be able to handle it, but I know we both can get through it. I might be going to Florida this October and probably get to see him . If not he says he's gonna try his hardest to come see me more since everything went well. I really do plan on spending my life with him, we've been together for 9 months and I hope we stay together a lot longer than this. I adore him and his family and they already mean the world to me. I can't see my life without him. c:

*Question*But now I just really hope my parents will let me- and I can save money to go see him in Florida, but I am only 16...do any of you know if I would be able to do that? I know I read somewhere that once I'd get to where I'm going from the plane I have to have a legal parent/guardian pick me up and be there. Do you know if that's true?

Thanks for reading, and I'd love to hear any advice you have about how to control my emotions while taking him back to the airport? lol I'm kind of thinking of asking my mom to take us because I'm afraid I won't be able to drive back because I'll be crying so much
    sigpic
    We've been together since 10.11.10

First Visit-7.13.11
    Second Visit-12.17.11
    Closed the distance-06.20.12

You need official ID, so if you don't have your license, get it. I'm pretty sure every airline has there own policy for underage flyers, so you should check with whichever ones you may fly with, but as long as it's a domestic flight. it's OK. Just google "flying under 18", and you'll get more info.
    Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

As long as you have an ID, you'll be fine. I flew a lot by myself under 18 and never had an issue. I think it's under 13 or maybe 16 that you need an adult to pick you up at the gate.

Comment

While you can fly when you are under 18, your parents have to give their permission for you to fly, as well as when they give permission they also have to say who is allowed to pick you up from the airport in your final destination. Also note that because you are a minor you will have to have someone who works at the airport with you the whole time you are there and then once on the plane you are put into the care of the flight attendants. When the flight lands you will be the last person off the plane and there will be someone working at the airport waiting for you and will walk you to baggage claim until the person who's allowed to picks you up comes to get you.

Haha i'm sure that's a lot of info, but no matter that's the process i hope it helps some.

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

I think that whole having someone with you at all times only applies to little kids, because I flew across the country by myself when I was 16 and didn't have to go through that... My parents dropped me off at the airport in Seattle, I hopped on the plane, landed, and found baggage claim and the group I was supposed to meet just fine by myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Riyko View Post
            While you can fly when you are under 18, your parents have to give their permission for you to fly, as well as when they give permission they also have to say who is allowed to pick you up from the airport in your final destination. Also note that because you are a minor you will have to have someone who works at the airport with you the whole time you are there and then once on the plane you are put into the care of the flight attendants. When the flight lands you will be the last person off the plane and there will be someone working at the airport waiting for you and will walk you to baggage claim until the person who's allowed to picks you up comes to get you.

Haha i'm sure that's a lot of info, but no matter that's the process i hope it helps some.
            This is not always true. It depends on the airline. After the age of 13 or 14, I never was accompanied by an employee, flight attendant, etc.
            Your best bet is to check with the airlines. Here are two exampes:
            JetBlue: After the age of 14, not considered unaccompanied minors and have no restrictions.
            American Airlines: 12 years old and up do not require unaccompanied minor services.

Anyhoo...look into flights and then call the airlines.

Comment

My SO and I flew under the age of 18 all the time. However, it depends on the airline and you just need to look up the specific policies for which one you are flying on. Some, the youngest age for an unaccompanied minor can be anywhere from 10-14 years of age. Most airlines I've flown on are 12 years olds+ are allowed to fly alone without an adult or permission from an adult. But, like everyone else has stated, look up your airline policies and make sure you have your proper ID You should be just fine. I flew to and from Florida (where my SO lives) all the time and my first trip was when I was 16! I was completely fine and I am sure you will be too!

In terms of dropping him off at the airport, when I was your age, I had my mom take me because she and I both knew I would be an emotional wreck. As long as my SO's flight off didn't interfere with her work schedule, she would gladly take me up to the airport with my SO so I could wish him off. She always took me to get a soda from Sonic afterwards because I was such a crying mess. It also helped me to have my mom by my side. I finally was able to take him up to the airport on my own when I was around 17 because I didn't like feeling rushed in our good-byes because I had my mom waiting outside. I still cried my eyes out at the airport and would have to pull myself together in the car before I drove, but it was worth the extra amount of time I got to spend with him.
              Last edited by ashleecarol; July 18, 2011, 03:18 PM.

*~*~*Forever & Always*~*~*

Comment

Thanks to all of you!
                sigpic
                We've been together since 10.11.10

First Visit-7.13.11
                Second Visit-12.17.11
                Closed the distance-06.20.12

Comment

Working...
                X