It gets harder everyday...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It gets harder everyday...

Hello everyone, I'm here for some suggestions from you all. Here's the situation:
    My boyfriend and I have been together for a year and a half now, completely long distance. We've only visited once. We were planning to move in together this summer but neither of us have had any luck finding jobs so it can't happen. Things are getting really tough for us lately since we've been apart for so long. Our conversations are lacking excitement, and we both have been getting upset an awful lot. The other night he told me that the distance is starting to frustrate and take a toll on him; all I could say was "I know". We are both confident that we can get through the waiting no matter how long it takes but we need something to keep us occupied, something to keep our relationship exciting. So what I'm asking for are suggestions of what I can do for him, or things we can do together? We both have internet and our own computers, but sometimes the internet has issues. He now has a phone but with very limited minutes so its hard to have phone conversations. Suggestions please? Ill take any and all

have you tried looking at this section of the forum?
    https://members.lovingfromadistance....-Couples-To-Do

look for stuff you're both interested in. Plan out times and days according to both schedules. The distance is hard sometimes, especially when its been a while since you've last seen each other. It will be worth it in the end though.

Video chatting is a great thing to do if its possible. As for phone calls, he can always try calling you via google. If he doesn't already, he should get a gmail account. Gmail has got this great thing where you can make free phone calls to a phone number. Don't think it works internationally, if you're international D:...

Also, check out the list of things to do for LDR couples on the main site I've gotten lots of ideas from there.

Last, you can try the 1000 questions for couples thing. The link to buy the ebook is on the main site. I've never tried it myself but have always wanted to. Apparently its a list of 1000 questions that you can ask each other. You'd be surprised at the things you learn when you ask questions you never thought of asking !!

Comment

That's the thing I've used most of the ideas posted in that part of the forum. I feel like we are running out of options.

Comment

There's always taking a photo of yourselves everyday or you could take photos of things representing what you did that day. I love sending my boyfriend photos of places I am or things I'm doing or buying. I also send him photos of myself and he does the same. It allows us to see each other without necessarily having to get on video chat.

I also recommend doing anything you can together. My SO and I read books together or watch movies together or play games together. Really anything that we can do at the same time that gives us something to talk about and builds sort of a connection.

We also talk a good deal about visits and closing the distance which are both uplifting topics. Maybe the two of you could work on planning another visit?

Mainly, I find being in a long distance relationship is what you make it out to be. I find the more free time I have or the more time I spend just thinking on my relationship, the sadder I am. I try to keep myself occupied and my SO does as well and that keeps us both happier and gives us more things to talk about together.

Comment

Just like Mara said, plan another visit Just cause you can't close the distance when you would've liked to it doesn't mean that visits are off the list. They're always exciting and they strengthen the bond between you, reminding you what you're both waiting for and that it's worth it
          Also find a good documentary about a subject you're both interested in and watch it together, this can create so many topics for conversations. Play online games - you could choose a MMORPG game, it takes some more time to build characters and you get to spend time together in a different "environment".

Comment

I second the documentary thing. Especially if it's about a subject that you both have strong opinions about. My boyfriend and I love documentaries and we've had really interesting, lengthy conversations after watching ones that we became invested in. Even just a kind of "fluffy" (not that intense) one can spark a good conversation. If you have Netflix, browse their documentary section... it's very extensive!
            Some suggestions:
            The Botany of Desire
            Exit Through the Gift Shop
            Dear Zachary (note though- this is really intense and sad)
            We Live in Public

Comment

Originally posted by Mara View Post
              There's always taking a photo of yourselves everyday or you could take photos of things representing what you did that day. I love sending my boyfriend photos of places I am or things I'm doing or buying. I also send him photos of myself and he does the same. It allows us to see each other without necessarily having to get on video chat.

I also recommend doing anything you can together. My SO and I read books together or watch movies together or play games together. Really anything that we can do at the same time that gives us something to talk about and builds sort of a connection.
              Those are really good ones I love sending pictures randomly so I'm sure my SO may enjoy it. We're also reading Time Travelers Wife together. A chapter a night!

Comment

I wonder what else we can do to make our days easier . I know understand everyone here . I myself is going through a hard time . Anyone can give me advice towards the way i feel so sad .

Comment

Working...
                X