so what do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so what do you think?

Hey guys wasn't sure where to post this but here it goes....

My Husband has been gone for a week and I am going crazy. I am not used to these lapses in Communication...I have only gotten to talk to him a few times since he has been there...He left on his first mission today and probably won't hear from him till the weekend...

So Monday I found out that I will be offered a deployment as a Liaison officer to Afghanistan. It's a very relaxed 6 month deployment and would not be going outside the wire. A very good oppurtunity and I would only be gone a month longer than him (He'd be back in May and I would be back in June)

Well I told him and he is definitely against it. He does not want me to do it because of course he is concerned about my safety. I explained to him all this and he still is against it and while I'm truly touched how much he cares and loves me, in my mind I really want to do it..it's probably my only oppurtunity I'll to deploy. to I would also have something to get my mind off missing him all the time...but I dont want to give him more to worry about than he has now. (even though i'll be safe)

So what do you think? I know not alot of you are well versed in military but any feedback would be appreciated..thanks
    " Love don't run....Love don't hide...Love don't turn away or back down from a fight.
    Baby I'm right here..and I and going anywhere"

Mitch and Stephanie July 14, 2011

It's a great opportunity for you, and it sounds you already have your mind made up as you want to go. If i was in your position i would do it why to get the chance to do something different and if it helps you get your mind off of it, that's great too.

I asked my mom (my dad was in the navy when my parents met) and she said it's also a great opportunity for you and if you don't do it you may wind up regretting it in the future (my dad had the chance to get re stationed, but passed up the chance because he met my mom and while he doesn't regret it he wishes he would of gotten the chance to go some where else at least once). I guess my what my mom said is a different perspective to think of.

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

Well, just my take on it...I believe that if you really want to do it and feel it is a good opportunity for you career wise, you should go for it. My field is international development and last month I applied for an NGO position in Afghanistan. My SO was also concerned for my safety, but said he would support me in what I wanted to do. About a week after I submitted my application, the bombing happened in Kabul and I decided to withdraw my application. I made that decision b/c in environments like that, NGO workers' safety is not guaranteed and they are often expected to work in very insecure conditions. I believe that military are offered an extra layer of protection civilians are not.

Ultimately, I think you should talk it out with your husband..weigh the pros and cons and be sure to address his specific concerns. I hope you get to talk to him soon.

Comment

Working...
      X