I booked my one-way ticket to Dublin :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I booked my one-way ticket to Dublin :D

Well, technically it's not exactly one-way haha. I'll be moving to Edinburgh after I stay in Dublin with him for a bit, but we won't have to do long distance between Canada and Ireland anymore!!
    I'm a bit nervous, I booked my flight to arrive a day earlier than he thinks that I get there. I saved about $100 doing so (flight +insurance came to $300 total!!) and figure I can coordinate something with his flatmates to get into his apartment, bake him cookies and surprise him when he gets home from work!!

Now I only need to get applying for my visa. I wish October would hurry up and get here!!

Love will not betray you, dismay or enslave you, it will set you free

Met: Cork, Ireland - December 31, 2009 • Started Dating: Cork, Ireland - May 22, 2010 • Became LD: July 15, 2010 • My Move From Canada to UK: October 26, 2011
    Closed the distance June 18, 2012!

What visa are you applying for? Most visas have to be applied for outside of the country you are wanting the visa for. Or are you leaving in october for Ireland? Which airline are you flying with? I'm going home to Canada around Christmas and that is soo cheap for a ticket!
    Anyway have lots of fun! Good luck with the visa.

Comment

I'm getting the 2 year yms visa to the UK Can't get another Irish visa right now, unfortunately, but my SO is moving to the UK about 6 months after I do! I've got to be in Canada the entire time for visa processing, but I'm applying well in advance, my plane ticket to Ireland is for October 13th. I'm basically flying to Ireland for a week or two, and then to London for my orientation with BUNAC. It's also the sort of visa that unless I had a criminal record, it's unlikely I'd be denied it
      I'm flying with air transat - not my first choice, with their crazy baggage fees, but the ticket was less than half the price of all the other ones I found.
      Thanks, I'm very excited!!

Met: Cork, Ireland - December 31, 2009 • Started Dating: Cork, Ireland - May 22, 2010 • Became LD: July 15, 2010 • My Move From Canada to UK: October 26, 2011

Comment

I have the yms visa. I went for my fingerprints and within 3 days I had my visa. Have you already signed up with bunac? It's cheaper to do it yourself and it isn't hard to do. I flew with them too, canadian affair? I was a kg over so it was $20 but that still was way cheaper then flying with anyone else. Just don't bring socks and leave everything you can buy when you get there.

Comment

I haven't signed up with them yet - I used SWAP when I moved to Ireland before, and it was incredibly helpful for getting my SIN-equivalent and meeting people. I'm on the fence if I'll use them again, I'm inclined to just because I've heard that they help a great deal with finding work, places to live, setting up a bank account, etc. in the UK.
          Yep, canadian affair They were very good in other aspects, or if you're only slightly over for baggage haha. But if I bring a second bag, it's $15 per kg over apparently. So I'm going to try to pack as light as possible!
          Where did you move to in the UK, if you don't mind me asking?

Comment

I'm just outside london. I was looking at going though one of those companies for a visa but they charged $70 each to get up a bank account and get a national insurance number. I went in to the bank myself and got one in half an hour for free and just had to make a phone call and they sent me a national insurance number. I guess it might be helpful with housing but you can also go through agencies here to find a job which i believe are free as well

Comment

That's good to know, maybe I'll just do it on my own then! It'd be nice to save money, with the pound being worth so much more than the dollar.

Comment

Its much better then when I was here two years ago, it was double the dollar. Now its only 1 1/2 times. If you need any help with the visa message me.

Comment

Thanks so much, I'll bug you if I do need help

Comment

That's fab. Bring a good jacket and plenty of winter clothes. I live in Dublin and it's currently pissing rain!! =D
                    Although this distance breaks my heart,
                    And it's unbearable when we're apart,
                    I know that it will all be fine,
                    As my heart is yours,
                    And yours is mine.. <3

Comment

Hehe, you guys haven't been having the nicest weather eh? My SO was a bit disappointed when he went from being here, with 35+ degree, sunny weather, to 12 degree rainy days in Dublin!! I really wish I could just live in Dublin though, I do love it there

Comment

Working...
                      X