I don't know if this has been asked before

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know if this has been asked before

Lets say you haven't met your SO's yet okay. Really image your mindset and thoughts before that. Would you have ever even considered a LDR? Would you have thought a real relationship could come out of such a thing?

and another question, if things hadnt worked out and it ended would you do it again?

lol just some random questions
    I love you Nathan <3
    sigpic
    5/25/09 <3

To be honest I have a lot of respect for people who meet someone online and fall in love and meet. I met Mitch in an Army Camp so we were friend before we became lovers. I dont think I could have done it another way around wouldnt have the courage to travel and meet someone new.

---------- Post added at 04:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 PM ----------

As for if It didn't work out..I wouldn't change anything. He has shown me what love is
    " Love don't run....Love don't hide...Love don't turn away or back down from a fight.
    Baby I'm right here..and I and going anywhere"

Mitch and Stephanie July 14, 2011

Comment

I met my SO online, and really I wasn't looking for a LDR, I wanted someone close that I could be with every day, so that I could do actual coupley things with them, then by chance I met my SO and everything changed, I knew he was the guy for me, I didn't care where he was, I wanted him to be mine. I wasn't sure at first if it would turn into a real relationship, but I knew that I wanted a real relationship and so I trusted that when we finally finalized being exclusive that it meant that we would only be with each other, that this wasn't just an internet fling. I guess all I'm trying to say is that it happened by chance and was held together by trust and faith.

As for the other question, I had been in other "met online LDR's" before and they ended horribly so I thought that I was done meeting people online, I wanted to find someone close to me, I never considered doing it again until I met my SO, and if anything ever happens between us and we break up honestly I don't think I could handle doing something like this again, I've invested 2 years into this LDR and if it fell apart I don't think I'd ever want to be seperated from the one I love again.

Notes:
      Met: 8.17.09
      Started Dating: 8.20.09
      First Met: 10.2.10
      Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

I met my SO at uni so we're half and half close and long distance throughout the year but I'd never considered having a LDR or even meeting people online. To be honest I've always been a bit paranoid about talking to people online but since I've been on the forum, I've been delighted that so many people have found love safely through the internet. I'm sure it must be so hard to date someone without even meeting them first and I kind of admire people for that. It takes a lot of trust.

Comment

I considered a LDR the moment my SO showed interest. We met online, so we had no previous knowledge about each other, but after about a week or two of knowing him, I saw he was a genuine real guy not some weirdo and not a jerk either (since we met through video gaming some guys can be jerks towards women online). Not only was he genuine, he was the same age, had exact same interests and morals and just was all around too good to be true. So the fact someone like this was interested in little ol' me was quite a shocker. I wasn't sure if a real relationship could come about, it just...did. It all fell together on its own pretty much, and I have to say its been one of the best things to happen so far to me.

As far as the other question goes, I'm skeptical on that. It's hard to say considering all I've invested in this current relationship. A break up would be devastating, so much so it would probably put me off of dating for years. I wouldn't be able to let go of the emotional attachment I have, or at least not easily. When I love someone, I love them forever despite what happens, its in my nature to care that much about another. (Which is why I don't fall in love easily, he's the first I've loved to this extent.) So, would I do it again with him? Yes, to me, all of the time I've gotten to spend and be with him has been the best time of my life, its made me grow as a person, made me happier all around, and made me hopeful for a brighter future. He has given me one of the most important things, love. Along with so much more! He doesn't know it, but he has been one of the most life changing factors in my young life, and to me, he's worth more than anything and will always be worth the wait until were together. <3

Comment

I gotta say I'm the last person I thought I would ever see in a LDR. I had an ex-boyfriend move away, he wanted things to work out, but I was unwilling to do the distance thing so I broke up with him. My last ex and I were engaged, he wanted to move 800 miles away from our family and friends, and I told him there was no way I was doing that for him. Enter my SO who I met online.

Honestly, I wasn't sold on dating him partly because of the distance and partly because I didn't feel ready for a relationship so soon after my previous breakup, but here we are two years later. I never thought that LDRs weren't "real relationships", I just didn't like the idea of rarely seeing your partner and having to deal with everything else that comes with the distance. I still don't.

But I love my SO very much, I want to spend the rest of my life with him, and I believe we will spend our lives together. If I didn't feel that way, I wouldn't be in a LDR. I couldn't be long distance with someone that I didn't feel I had a future with. It wouldn't be worth it imo. Would I do it all over again even if things don't work out? Yes with him, but I doubt I would ever enter into a LDR with someone else and if things ended between us I would probably be put off dating for a while.

Comment

Honestly, to me an LDR is just another relationship, only with different challenges. Sure, I'd do it again, because I do pretty well in an LDR I think. I don't find them harder than conventional relationships, just different, and I love the travel aspect of it. That being said, my guy and I didn't meet online, we work together and were very friendly for a few years before we started talking outside of work, we always clicked.

Also, I'd never do it if we couldn't meet fairly quickly though, I wouldn't wait more than 6 months, no matter where in the world he is. For me, life's just too short to sit around waiting when you don't have to. I do have the means to travel though, so that's why I say that, I realize that isn't the same for everyone.
              Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

to be completely honest i never thought twice about wanting to be in one, it never registered in my brain and if it did all i could think of was a hell of alot of sex offenders preying on innocent people, i mean thats what my mom put in my head and you hear all those news stories so it never occured to me that it would work out, as for doing it again if we didnt work out....i dont think so....i mean god forbid and god willing this doesnt happen if we ended up LDR again someway yes i would do it for her, for anybody else no way. its just too much, i mean were hopefully closing the distance in a few months and that alone is scary and stressful, so no i wouldnt do this again!

Comment

Yes, being socially inept I think I kinda knew finding someone online was the way for me I never thought of it as an LDR though, not until after we'd met.

Being in a LDR I could see myself doing. But if Obi and I somehow didn't work out I would NEVER again date someone not from my country because honestly there's no one in the world other than him that could make this shit worthwhile.
                  Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

I would have never consider a LDR before I met my partner. I wouldn't even consider dating someone outside of the NYC metro area, much less someone I met online. When my partner first emailed me, I was annoyed that he did but now I am grateful that he did. I can't see things not working out but I don't think I would do it again as I wasn't planning to do it in the first place.
                    sigpic

Comment

i was working on a remote site for over 5 years. Only go out 10 days.. hard for me not to do LDR.. so yes.. i am ok with LDR before i met him.

I am surrounded by people who did LDR, there are 1800 workers there that i work with that far away from their gf, wife, and families... so.. its quite common to see them talking on phone at night LoL when u think that you're the only one who did it every one there did it anyway...

My boss are from Canada, USA, Australia, UK, Italy, Philipines... and all of them had LDR with their wife so talking about international relationship i can not weep or making excuses at work because i haven't heard anything from my bf...

When i met him, we met as friend.. never occurs that i will had this LDR... this is the first time ii really consider someone serious.. first time i ever feel so hurt to think about how far he was. Maybe age factors too.. before i wasn't too serious with most of my relationship... but..this one even hes this is the longest distance i ever been with someone who "stole" my heart... i am pretty sure.. that i will be all right...

Its just have the ups and downs sometimes... but as long as you had someone to hold your hand keeping you safe, you wont be afraid to go up and down as much as it could possibly be!

Comment

I'm going to say no for both.

My SO and I met and began dating CD before we entered a LDR. I obviously know that relationships that begin long distance can work out, but I know I wouldn't have tried it myself. It's just not who I am. After several years of being long distance 8 months of the year, we are no longer long distance and I love it.

And, while sticking it out with my current SO was the best decision I ever made, I really don't think I would do it again. Distance sucks too much.

Comment

prior to meeting my bf I didn't think I would ever enter into a LDR. but, I also didn't think you could meet someone online and fall in love with them either. I'm glad I was wrong on both counts. if things didn't work out I might do it again.

Comment

I wasn't looking to get into a relationship, much less a long distance one. I had all these plans...then I met this guy online. I would never have guessed that this was going to happen, and mostly didn't want to admit to being in a relationship, so we were in a grey area for the longest time. The first time we got to meet was exactly a year into the relationship.

Now that I'm here...if it doesn't work out, I highly doubt I'll try it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Zephii View Post
                              Yes, being socially inept I think I kinda knew finding someone online was the way for me I never thought of it as an LDR though, not until after we'd met.

Being in a LDR I could see myself doing. But if Obi and I somehow didn't work out I would NEVER again date someone not from my country because honestly there's no one in the world other than him that could make this shit worthwhile.
                              I agree with almost every word (for me it's just amnother name).
                              My blog: A revisit of my most successful LDR. Posting the story of us in chapters.

Comment

Working...
                              X