Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how long have you been LD? and how did you deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how long have you been LD? and how did you deal?

how did you deal with the first day, week, month without your so?
    right now my bf is on a plane so i have been sorta LD for a couple of hours lol
    and im dealing by hugging his shirt he left for me <3

On the day my boyfriend moved away, I wore his jacket all day and then slept in it. To be honest I also cried myself to sleep the first few nights. The first few weeks were the hardest for me because I went from seeing him every day to not knowing when we would be able to see each other. I felt better when I got on here and read a lot of advice from people in the same situation. I also found it helpful to write in my journal, I was able to distract myself a little bit. The thing that worked the best for me for the first month or so was to keep really busy and hang with my sisters. It also helps that my boyfriend and I talk every morning and everynight and text through out the day. I know its hard :/ Just know it is all worth it.

Comment

I have been LD with my boyfriend for about 13 months now. The first month was horrible for me, but I was backpacking around Europe, and my SO was traveling around the US, and we only got to email each other maybe once a week. And I was on my trip with a friend who would never let me talk about my SO, and a guy who spent the entire time trying to convince me "I love you doesn't mean he isn't cheating on you". But it got easier after that, lol. The worst parts are right after seeing your SO and having to adjust to life apart from each other... I don't really know how I coped with it back then, I was a mess a lot of the time haha. Once I got over the initial shock, I worked a lot and learned new hobbies to pass the time!

Good luck though, the first bit can be hard, but you guys will work through it

Love will not betray you, dismay or enslave you, it will set you free

Met: Cork, Ireland - December 31, 2009 • Started Dating: Cork, Ireland - May 22, 2010 • Became LD: July 15, 2010 • My Move From Canada to UK: October 26, 2011
      Closed the distance June 18, 2012!

Comment

We've been long distance for a little over a year now.

I deal mostly by just taking everything a day at a time. I don't think about the past [how long we've been apart] or the future [how long until our next visit] too much because I find sometimes it'll drive you insane. I try to keep busy doing things I wouldn't otherwise have the time to do, I spend lots of time with my family and friends, and focus a lot on my schoolwork.

I think what helps the most though is just the little things. Just a random I love you in the middle of the day or hearing his voice for a few minutes or those times when I'm just so happy to be with him that the distance ceases to exist or matter.

Comment

We have been together about 2 and a half years. We manage to see each other every 3 and a half months which helps. The first proper time he left back to the UK from NZ was really hard but what help was having the flights booked to go see him later on in the year. For myself it takes a couple of weeks/month for me to get settled in to my routine and but every couple is different. I would say just try and keep busy! *hugs*

Comment

My whole relationship has been long distance. We were only together for 10 days. We have been together for almost 9 months. We deal with it by communicating a lot and sending each other pictures of what we are doing (i.e, he'll meet up with friends he hasn't seen in years for a BBQ and he would send a pic etc..)
            sigpic

Comment

Most of my relationship in past are LDR. With my current SO its over 9months already. Its a very very long LDR (different two continents) so we rarely meet. First time i met him again was last June. Its very hard, i did cry first day. I had his sweater with me. I didn't wash it for few days hahaha.. still have his smell

But after a while, i could toughen up, get a grip to my self and move on do my daily routines... being busy help a lot. We chat every night, not really chatting as the time for me to go to bed is the early morning where he's very busy because hes at work. Just offlines msg. So far he call me at least once a week... i tried not to be clingy!

Welcome to LDR btw

Comment

I've been having this LDR for 1 year and 10 months. It wasn't easy after all his three visits ended. The sight of him walking to the check-in counter at the airport while we were waving goodbye to each other was just painful. His first visit was in October 2009 and I didn't get a job until three months later so making myself busy was a tough challenge. Fortunately I dealt with it pretty well; made myself busy by looking for a job, hanging out with friends and other things. Since I got my job, it has helped a lot during his absence because it keeps myself busy. I agree with Mara: take everything a day at a time and don't think about the past or the future too much. I cry if I feel like crying and when I get upset sometimes I talk to him about it. It may sound that I'm being needy by doing that, but that's what a couple should do: communicate and share with each other. All this LDR thing is none of our faults. It's just the way it is.

Comment

I've been in an LDR for 1 month 18 days. its extremely hard knowing we can't communicate as much as we'd like to due to school, time difference, technology, etc. the first day i couldn't really handle the realization of my situation and just broke down in tears. hanging out with family and working out helps a bit, but it doesn't stop the majority of the pain. I left her my jacket before i left, and knowing she wears it makes me feel closer to her in a way. this past month I've been handling the LDR pretty well, just looking at our pictures that i stole without her permission, and laughing at the videos i took while she hid her face! just remembering the great memories we had together, and knowing that this girl is crazy for me and loves me to death with all of her heart, gets me through the day every day. It's gonna be a long and difficult 2 years until i see her again in the summer of 2013. but we'll pull through together .
                  My favorite text message conversation:

Tobby:love ko! what are you doing?
                  Nika:learning how to cook love ko.
                  Tobby:cooking? please put some in a plastic bag and send some to me so i can taste it! <3
                  Nika: weh? your silly! I'm learning how to cook so when we get married, I'll be cooking all your meals love ko. <3
                  Tobby:your so sweet.<3 marry me now? hahaha
                  Nika: We're still kids love ko, lets wait until we're more mature, but you know my answer will be yes, whenever you ask!
                  Tobby:I love you so much! You're the one for me, I'll wait as long as i need to love ko. love you!
                  Nika:I love you too! call me Nika Sy now.. hehe
                  Tobby: Addict!
                  Nika: Addicted! <3

Comment

I've been LD for about 13 days now .. He left on our 2nd month I know it's only been 2 Months but it's felt so much longer , 2 years 10 months and 16 days until I see him again it's been so hard and it's only the start

Comment

My SO and I have been long distance our entire relationship. We've been together for about 11 months now. I made through the beginning by just keeping busy. It was easier at the time since I was at university. Keeping busy makes it a lot easier for me. When the distance gets really hard for me now, I sometimes will just let it overcome me for a little bit. The one thing you have to remember is that the distance isn't forever. One day, it will end.
                      "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
                      Made it official: September 17, 2010
                      Got engaged: January 15, 2012
                      Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
                      Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
                      Got married: November 21, 2012
                      Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
                      Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

One step at a time.

Comment

We've been LD for 1 year aaaaand 3 days now? The first month was really hard- one time I couldn't go to work because I just could not stop crying. We got into a communication routine, had skype dates etc and once I started uni, it got a lot better- more to distract me and keep me busy. I also took a shirt of his and a hat, so I could have his scent with me. I've been struggling since our last visit too, but now I have a job starting Monday, it should get a lot better again

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
                          <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
                          The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
                          <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
                          <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
                          Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
                          Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

We were long distance for 9 months, and we temporarily closed the distance in the middle of May. My SO is moving back to college on August 29th, and will most likely not be coming home for an extended period of time for about 2 years. We'll be splitting the time that we're in college long distance and close distance during breaks. This will go on for about 6 or 7 years altogether. We've already got through 1 of them, so we've only got 5 or 6 more lol. For me, it took a lot longer to adjust to LD. The first week was by far the worst...my body almost shut down. I could barely eat, I couldn't sleep well, I was just a mess. I lost 5 pounds in that first week, and I am way underweight anyway due to high metabolism so that was terrible. I could not stop crying...I think I cried every night for the first 3 months we were apart. When Anthony left to go to school, we'd only been dating 14 days, so our relationship was brand new, and we'd been best friends for 11 years. We went to school together from elementary to high school, so not seeing him every day was totally weird because we used to see each other all the time. But, I coped by just focusing on my own classes, spending time with friends and family, texting Anthony and planning out little surprises and care packages for him.

"Do I love you? My God, if your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches."

Like a drum, my heart never stops beating for you.

Comment

Working...
                            X