Travel Worries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travel Worries

I'm not sure if this belongs in the travel tips but I thought it might get seen more in this forum.
    My boyfriend's coming to see me on Oct.13 for a little less than 3 months.He's from England and I'm in the United States.He's come to see me once before for six weeks which we both felt wasn't enough time so this time we wanted to push it to the longest you can stay without a visa.Now that it's closer to him actually traveling here,he's getting worried about the customs officers because the first time he came he got questioned about where he was staying,why he had come here,how much money he had,etc. and apparently they didn't really find the answers satisfactory really and were a little suspicious.He doesn't have a job and isn't going to school and didn't bring much money with him when he did come to see me and it's the same thing this time,and he feels this will make them not letting him into the country a possibility.He's pretty terrified.I just wanted to know what the chances are of them not letting him in or if something like that has happen to anyone?

I think this post belong to travel...

But reading from what you post here... if i were you i wont play around immigration... its just not worth the risk if he got banned or somehow there will be something written on his passport.. its just for long term thoughts..

If its only questions, try to be confident as much as possible. I think its the same questions they will ask.. they just dont want any illegal people come and over stay there/abuse the visa rules. I had the same interview when i want to have Schengen Visa. I felt like in a military camp instead embassy they want details like if i know my sponsor, if we ever met, even what language we use when we communicate

My country just among those 24 countries listed on the schengen among the middle east countries... (terrorist issue?) anyway try not to worry much if you eligible for the visit!

Comment

Hay welcome to the forums!

I use the visa waivor to see my SO, pretty much you do need to show strong ties to your home country ie a job/school to go back to.

Could he perhaps find a job which starts after he goes back to the UK? that way he can have a letter or something showing that he has a job waiting for him when he returns.

There is always a chance but I guess it does depend on the border control officer on the day.

Comment

They pretty much question everyone like that I believe. As was said just be confident and don't act suspicious. They are looking specifically for people that are coming to the USA and planning to stay.

My ex immigrated from the UK, send me an IM and I might be able to give you some thoughts on it. It's a long drawn out process but there are grey areas that make it much easier when he does decide to come and stay.
        Three words. Fill my racing mind. Leave me breathless. Lost in time.
        Three words. Fill my endless dreams. Repair my heart. Mend the seams.
        Three words. Fill your heart too. Three words pronounced. I love you.

~~~~~~

You look in the mirror, you don't like what you see, don't believe it.
        Look in my eyes, I am the only mirror you're ever gonna need.

Met online: 12/24/10 Met In Person: 2/24/11 Distance Closed: 4/24/11
        Not one regret, not one backwards look, only towards the future and beyond!

Comment

The best answers to the question "what are you doing here?" is "vacation" or "holiday" or "traveling". When they say where are you staying, say "I'm staying with a friend." That's the best I can say. I can honestly say that they're probably LESS worried about people from the UK staying illegally than they are about people from other, poorer nations. I'm a US citizen and I can tell you, from experience, you get a lot less hassled coming in from Europe than coming from Latin America. He'll be fine. He has nothing to worry about, so he shouldn't worry about the questions either.

Comment

I didn't have a job, nor was I studying the first time I went to America and I never got asked any of these questions. Granted, I had $1600 in my pocket and my food/accommodation paid for, so they really couldn't complain. I was visiting my ex's family at the time for a month. That said, I never really got asked what I was doing. I agree, just tell him to say he's staying with a friend. Because you are essentially a type of friend.

Comment

He has an European pasport, trust me that is a big advantage! I am from latin America and I got a student visa (by the American Embassy in my Country) and they interrogated me a lot when I got here (things about my family, where are my parents, in what they work, where is my sister... I'm older enough to not depend in anybody but they ask me about them), that is normal! Tell him to not be scare, it is just a normal process... You must tell the truth all the time, if they catch him in a lie or hiding something then they'll have the right to deport him. Just tell the truth, and relax. If you get too nervous then they will think there is something wrong... Just understand that it is about a normal security process... And if you are not hiding anything you don't have any reason to be scare of any interrogation

Comment

Send him an email that sounds like an invitation and in the text say that he will stay with you and your family and you will take care of his food and board and include the address and your contacts below. He will print it out and have with him for the immigration officer as a proof that he has a place to stay. If they need to they can call you. Also since he has room and board he doesn't need to pay for food. Which only leave $ for entertainment for 3 months and ppl spend time differently so they can't really not let him go if they think he doesn't have enough money for entertainment. Usually they only ask how much CASH you have with you because if you have over $10000 CASH with you you have to pay a tax or something, but if you only have,say, $100 cash and the rest of the money are on a debit or credit card - it is a different story.
                It will be alright! Also if a person has been to the USA before and did not violate immigration laws and left on time and stuff it is a lot easier when they come second time and immigration officers do not ask as many questions. I am speaking from my own experience coming to the USA

Comment

My SO brought this up to, he came already once for about 8 weeks, and wants to come again, but was worried about this. So im glad you brought it up and asked so i can see everyone elses replys lol. No but reading all the legal stuff it says you can come back as long as its in visits, I think if everything checks out legal and theres no criminal records or anything it will be fine. I hope so.
                  I love you Nathan <3
                  sigpic
                  5/25/09 <3

Comment

As long as he has a return ticket already booked, you're probably safe - the letter is also a great idea though.
                    Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

The most important to the immigration officers when on the visa waiver is the proof of return. I had a 3 week trip and a 3 month trip within 6 months of each other and were asked the same questions both times. Why was I going there, where was I staying (holiday, with a friend). They asked to see my travel itinerary, which listed all the flights I was to take, but that's about it. They don't make things too hard or complicated on you, especially if you're from a more developed country. (:

Comment

I've done my fair share of traveling and I too hated borders at first, but I agree if he is confident in his answers and since he has been here before and had nothing happen they will probably be a bit better this time. whoever said answer why are you here with being on holiday is right that is a good answer and he is staying with a friend and as long as he has your address i think those should be concrete enough answers for them. it does depend on the person he talks to and the day but hopefully it goes smoother this time

Comment

I am from the UK and have visited the States to visit my SO twice on 3 months trips. The first time they asked me various questions, and the second time I was asked a second round of questions (probably because it was my second long visit.)

This is what I know from experience, being almost exactly in your situation.

* Have your return ticket, and a print out proof - this is standard.
                          * Prove your connections to your home country - rental/lease/mortgage contract, job contract (or offer of employment), proof of course attendance (college/school etc).
                          * Show you have enough money to support yourself - although the letter is an excellent addition, let the immigration officers know that he could support himself if the need arose. I literally took photocopies of my credit card statements showing my credit limit...but I was probably going to far as the immigration officer was actually quite amused by that!
                          * (This is in bold because I cannot stress it enough) Do not lie or evade the immigration's officer. They are trained to notice shiftiness/lies etc, even with an ease of confidence.

There is nothing wrong with saying you are visiting your boyfriend/fiance. There is nothing wrong with telling them you met online.

This was how my most recent conversation went with immigration. (This was only a 1week visit though FYI but just proving that they dont bat an eyelid at "fiance" "long distance relationship etc)

"I'm here to visit my fiance"
                          "How'd ya meet?"
                          "Online - on a Twilight forum"
                          *Smiles* "How many times you been to see him?"
                          *Does quick think* This is my fourth visit.
                          "How many times he been to see you?"
                          "Just the once"
                          *Smiles* "That's quite unbalanced"
                          *Eyeroll* "Tell me about it" *Shoulder shrug* "I have the better job and can afford it"
                          *Have a nice day ma'am"

Honestly though, please dont worry about it though. They are just doing their job, they are not there to "catch you out" or invent reasons to send you home.

Tourists are vital for Americas economy (I sometimes feel I'm single-handedly helping to boost it the amount I visit and spend there! ) and they want to welcome them to the country, but they also want to keep out anyone that is looking to stay illegally.

If you have researched the terms and conditions of your visa (or visa waiver scheme), are not doing anything wrong, and have proof that you are not doing anything wrong in case they need it, they will have no reason to refuse you entry.

Best of luck!
                          Tea and hugs make the world go round - don't ever discount the little things in life.

Smiling away to oneself brings an obscene amount of joy when only you know the reason why your smiling. Pick something secret to smile about and let it light up your face all day long!

And remember....Love really IS all around.

Comment

Working...
                          X