Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discussion Time: Dating again

Hey Everyone.
    I've decided to start a couple new discussion threads just to see what people think. Just a psychological study of the forums for fun. There are no right or wrong answers.

The first discussion topic is:

If you and your SO broke up today, How long do you think it would be before you thought about dating again?
    1 Corinthians 13:2 "If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, then I am nothing."

LFAD Book Reading Challenge Goal: 26 books before January 2013
    Progress: 3/26
    Current Read: Genghis: Bones of the Hills by Conn Iggulden
    Next Read: Kahn: Empire of Silver by Conn Iggulden

Shoooooot.... From experience I know I would want to start dating right away to get my mind off him. I probably wouldn't get any dates though. But last time I broke up with an ex it took me over a year to get over the guy. Who knows how long it'll take me to get over my current SO. I'd be torn apart.

Comment

depends on the length I guess. There is that "urban myth" that you take the time you were together and split it in half, and thats how long it takes to get over them. In my past relationships this has actually been sorta true for me, even before hearing about it.

Comment

I'd be soul shattered. I don't know that I'd be interested in anything serious for a long time, and as I have never tended to "date" this would mean it would be me and the ponies and no men for a long long time. I said before I met mine that if I was ever single again I'd stay that way... he was something special to get past those barriers I had thrown up. I don't see myself letting anyone else in that close again, ever.
        Three words. Fill my racing mind. Leave me breathless. Lost in time.
        Three words. Fill my endless dreams. Repair my heart. Mend the seams.
        Three words. Fill your heart too. Three words pronounced. I love you.

~~~~~~

You look in the mirror, you don't like what you see, don't believe it.
        Look in my eyes, I am the only mirror you're ever gonna need.

Met online: 12/24/10 Met In Person: 2/24/11 Distance Closed: 4/24/11
        Not one regret, not one backwards look, only towards the future and beyond!

Comment

Probably a very, very long time. I'm not a casual dater at all. When I broke up w/my ex of 7 years, it took me 3 years to date another guy and a full 5 years before I re-entered another serious relationship (with my SO). I tend to take relationships/intimacy very seriously.

Comment

a long time. A year at least.

Comment

3 years or something

Comment

I don't know. My last serious relationship took a year to get over and I didn't love him as much as I love my SO. If we broke up, I would be shattered and it would take me a long time to get over that.
                "We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love " ~ Theodore Seuss Geisel.

Comment

As someone else stated, I am also not a casual dater. It would be extremely difficult for me to want to date again since for me, dating is done for the purpose of finding a serious relationship which I consider myself to be in now. If he were to suddenly decide he didn't want to be with me for whatever reason it would not be easy in the slightest for me to just decide to "jump back" into the dating pool.

Comment

Gosh if we broke up it would be because of him, cause i could not se myself ever leaving him. So lol i'd hope that he would be so shattered and lost without me he would ask for me back. No but seriously I don't know? never been with anyone, and being with him he has all of me, and he's such a big part of me, losing him would be losing apart of me, I can't even imagine me dating anyone but him. So im not sure.
                    I love you Nathan <3
                    sigpic
                    5/25/09 <3

Comment

If we broke up...well I'd be way to hurt, even if it was my decision it would probably be a very long time, I mean he's been in my life for so long now being without him, it would be as if half of myself would be missing. I'd say at the very least I'd need a year, but that's just a rough guess, he's my first serious relationship, the only one who has taken the time to break my walls down so a year or two would be a good guess.

Notes:
                      Met: 8.17.09
                      Started Dating: 8.20.09
                      First Met: 10.2.10
                      Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

My ex and i broke up last July, we were together for 3 years and i'm not ready to start dating yet, sometimes the though of it is nice but i can't do it and while i know my ex wants to start dating again, he won't do it because of me, he wants me to be in a place where i'm happy before he thinks about it (even though we aren't together he worries a lot about me)

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

I would guess about two years, but one never knows. It could be shorter or longer depending on who showed up in my life. I definitely wouldn't just date the first joe schmo that came along, but if I met someone a year after the breakup who complimented me then I'd go for it. But since I really don't see this relationship ending, that is irrelevant and I won't ever have to worry about that anyway

Comment

It's something I'd rather not think about. Let's just say it would probably take a very, very, very long time, if ever, to get over my SO if by some mistake of a miracle I lost him...

Comment

wow.... probably not for a very long time. I wouldn't want to risk getting hurt again.

Comment

Working...
                              X