Baby Shower Gift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baby Shower Gift

My SO's sister is having her first baby due in November. As I was skimming her registry, getting some ideas on what I can get her, my roommate said that she shouldn't expect a gift from me and that I shouldn't spend a lot on her and she only spent $20 on her cousin's baby blah blah blah. I told her this was going to be my niece or nephew and she replied with 'by marriage'. (she doesn't really get the whole serious relationship thing, so she could have said this due to that)

Now, I am pretty big on gifts. I love giving people things they can really use and I'm pretty close with my SO's family so I feel like it would be weird not to get her anything. I was probably going to spend around $50 and get her something really practical and something she would appreciate having. Also, I'd be giving her the gift after her baby shower because I won't be able to make it for that, but will be visiting like two weeks after.

I would definitely feel weird not getting her a gift. She is my to-be-sister-in-law afterall and this will be my niece or nephew.

What would some of you guys do? Would you get her a gift? Around how much would you spend?

If i were in your shoes I wouldn't really care for what anyone thinks. you obviously care about your SO's sister, so consider it as if you're going to a friend's baby shower; you would do the same no?
    going for something practical she would need/use is great, and as long as it fits into your budget anything goes
    Don't be dismayed at goodbyes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again.
    And meeting again, after moments or lifetime, is certain for those who are friends.
    ~Richard Bach

“Always,” said Snape.

Comment

I'd buy her the gift. It's your money, your family (marriage still = family to me!), and your life. Your flatmate doesn't seem to have a clue! Hell, I'd buy my SO's sister a baby shower gift if she were pregnant, and I don't even like the woman - I just think it's the right thing to do.

I would get her something just for her, not for the baby. I know that sounds crazy, but my mum always used to tell me that once you have kids no one really gives you anything for yourself anymore, it's always about your children So I always give the mum something for herself (and then if I have the money I buy the baby something too.)
      Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

I agree with what's been said. If you want to get her a gift, get her one!. She's practically family and even if she wasn't, you care about her.
        "We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love " ~ Theodore Seuss Geisel.

Comment

I would get her a gift, idk what your roommate is talking about. /: As for what to get her/the baby, I'm trying to think of something too. My boyfriend's sister is 19 weeks pregnant AND her birthday's in november... /:

Comment

I think you should get her something if you want, don't listen to anyone else. Doesn't matter if your only family by marriage, thats still family. I would get her something she will use. I'd say diaper s lol because baby's go through diapers like crazy, and they add up cost wise. So that would be a helpful gift. Be cute bout it, put a huge bow and then maybe add some little cute things. I love looking at all the baby clothes and toys. I don't think you can go wrong with clothing, but they grow so fast, so maybe not get something to small, maybe more in the 6 months range? Because they get big so fast, and often are wearing 6 months at 3 months lol, or maybe thats just the babies in my family. Im sure whatever you get though will be appreciated and will be used. I don't think you can go wrong with this, even if its just bibs, lol it will get used.
            I love you Nathan <3
            sigpic
            5/25/09 <3

Comment

I say do whatever you want, who cares what others think. If you want to give a gift, give a gift, and don't worry about how much you spend, just as long as you're comfortable with how much you're spending.

Notes:
              Met: 8.17.09
              Started Dating: 8.20.09
              First Met: 10.2.10
              Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

Thanks guys for all your input! Its encouraging to know that I AM doing the right thing.

Comment

I'm late to this thread, but my SO and I are not engaged/married and I got his sister a baby shower gift. My SO and I actually decided to make it from both of us (even though he wasn't invited) and we split the cost. I think we spent $20-$30 and got this special towel with a hood that looks like some cutesy frog. My mom told me at the time to also get books that are hard pages, even though an infant may not need a book right away, most baby shower stuff is for infants so its nice to have some new stuff for later on.

Comment

Working...
                  X