No announcement yet.

Does anyone else lie about having met?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only a select few people know the truth, and my boyfriend is totally fine with it!
    My family is old fashioned, so we decided to tell them that we met as I was doing my practicum in the hospital, as he is a medical student.
    He is now the one that tells people that when people ask; he does it since we don't want to have to be judged and explain why we couldn't meet "the one" like normal people....

Comment

We met online and I'm more than happy for people to know it. People assume we met when he visited Australia, because there's a big tourist industry, but we set them straight. It helps to not take yourself too seriously. I say stuff like "Oh no, we're far to socially inept to date people in real life, we met online!" or when people ask why I'm in Canada I say "I met this guy over the net, you know how it goes..."
      People are usually really nice, and often very interested. If you get defensive or act like you're worried what they think they will pick up on that. Subconciously they'll assume that because you're uncomfortable talking about it obviously there's a problem with your relationship.

With that said, we weren't officially dating before we met in person. I know my mum especially didn't understand how you can fall in love online, but then, she couldnt turn a computer on unassisted. I try and explain it to people if they are interested. Understanding brings acceptance
      Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

I have lied about how we met, but mostly to people who don't matter. I just say we briefly met in person and then got to know each other online and here we are.

But pretty much everyone (family and friends) know we met online.

Comment

We lied about being in a relationship before we met. Does that count?

Comment

No, but I think I never had the necesity to lie about it because we met afer one month chatting :s And we always say we met in a dating site, some people look at us like "what a losers", but is not the majority of the cases, ussually people are curious of how that work so they ask more questions and at the end they say they want to try it
            And I also was lucky because who encourage me to try this dating sites were my parents, my sister and some friends of my sister who tryed it before and worked for them...

Comment

i always tell the truth and if they have a problem with it, thats there issue.i get a variety of reactions, some are annoying but others are nice

Comment

I don't think I've ever lied to people about how I met my SO, but after the start of our relationship I did choose not to tell anyone about it, except my family and selected friends. He first visited me on October 2009 (I suppose that's when things got official) and after that when people started asking about my relationship status, I just said I wasn't in any. Some people like to make LDR a big thing and at that time I just didn't want to cope with it. I couldn't be bothered answering questions and such. It took me at least one year before I finally started telling the truth, but only to those who asked about my relationship.
                I agree with uniquefem, relationship is a private matter. Other people don't have to know about our private matters.

Comment

I never lied about how we met, i tell everybody one day i was adding randon people to chat on skype and he was one of the randon people.
                  people usually like to listen to that and get interested, if they are judmental they keep to themselves.
                  we talked two months before we met, and like others we didnt allow ourselves to fall in love before we saw each other in person
                  our story.

sigpic

02.02.2012 - When we got married and closed the distance once and for all

"If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you'll find an excuse."

Comment

I did in my previous relationship. We went a year together without meeting each other and rarely talked on video chat, so I kind of found it.. embarrassing (for lack of a better word) to explain to people our situation. Sometimes, I just would tell people "it's a long story" and drop it at that when they asked how met.

Comment

I have considered lying, because honestly people can be harsh and suspicious about it, but I just tend to leave out the whole he's 9,000+ miles away and we never met part.... And i dont call him my boyfriend becauseThe technically isnt... But that makes me feel more unconfortable on LFAD than irl. But they either assume we've met, or they already know, so it's nbd. Can't blame anyone for not wanting that judgement.

Comment

Well at first I lied to my parents and told them I wasn't in a long distance relationship because I was so scared they wouldnt accept it and I remember feeling shy telling my friends and other people that we met online because I didn't want them to think our relationship was a joke, but once I told my family and close friends and they supported me, I felt myself caring less and less if people thought it was "weird" or "not a real relationship" because we met on the internet and not in person. I love him more than anything, we make each other happy, and my family loves him so other people's opinions don't even matter to me anymore. I've noticed that when I tell people I met him online and say we've been together over a year and finally met, they take me more seriously but still, whether they like it or not doesn't affect me anymore. Some people just don't understand long distance relationships and how two people can fall in love without having met in person, but thats why I love this site so much =) So many good, understanding people are here to support one another =)

Comment

It's half and half. My close friends know we met online, but my not so close friends (ie the people I work with) think we met in person and it turned into a LDR. Not to many people are understanding or accepting of the fact that I'm dating a guy 5 years younger! SO I even have to be careful who I tell that I'm even in a relationship. Some people are extremely nosy and annoying...

Comment

Working...
                          X