No announcement yet.

Longhaul flights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're on the air Canada direct flight, don't take the pancakes when they offer you breakfast. Seriously. I love pancakes but these things are crappola!
    They give free earphones, blanket and pillow. The inflight entertanement system is really decent.

I vote asile seat if you're likely to want to get up and move around.

If you have any problems with your legs like cramping or risk of clots, some people carry a tenis ball that they can squish and play with between their feet. It helps keep the legs/blood flow active to avoid pain.

Good luck on your flight
    Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

So I'm sure everyone has given you the same advice, but I'm too ADD to read through all the posts... So here's my answers!

What is the best seat to take? Aisle or window? I always prefer aisle. But I'm strange and I like to put my leg up on the armrest and that's how I sleep. So if you can't do that, you might want to grab the window!
      What are some essential carry-on luggage items? I usually bring my MP3 player (fully charged!), a book, a trashy magazine (ie: Cosmo, People, etc), a water bottle, some snacks, and a sarong/giant scarf.
      Do most planes these days have little screens for each passenger, or is that a rare thing? On my long flights I have seen the screens, but I think it depends on the airline. I've also seen a trend to the airline making you PAY to watch a movie on the screen. Screw that!
      What kinda shoes and clothes should I wear? I always wear comfy jeans (not too tight), sneakers, a t-shirt, a light sweater, and a scarf. I have a (previously mentioned) kind of giant scarf/sarong. It's the most versatile thing I own. I use it as a scarf, as a blanket, as a pillow, as a towel... you name it. I think everyone should own one!
      Any advice regarding food I should know? I'm not very fussy, even with airplane food :P Airlines don't feed you anymore!!! Do not think that you will get food on the plane. I took a 5 hour flight across the USA and I didn't even get PEANUTS!!! Not anything. If you don't have much carry-ons, I would bring food with you. I try to bring something salty, something sweet, and a fruit. If you have a huge carry on, just buy a bagel sammich in the airport!

Good luck and have fun!! Also, make sure to get up and walk around a little during those long flights.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice guys! I'm with Air Canada. Are they good?

Also - is it a common thing to see empty seats in planes, and say there is an empty row, can you move once the plane is in the air?

Comment

Air Canada usually has a good selection of movies. Its the touch screen ones so you can pause and start the movies when you like.

Comment

Originally posted by MadMolly View Post

Also - is it a common thing to see empty seats in planes, and say there is an empty row, can you move once the plane is in the air?
            If you're lucky, but don't count on there being empty seats. When I first flew to San Jose there was barely anyone on the plane! I moved to the center aisle and slept across 5 seats! haha! If there are empty seats, it's no problem to move.

Comment

You've gotten some pretty great advice! I personally like the window seat. I get nauseous if I can't see out the window. /: I always take an extended bathroom break if I end up needing to go and take a walk up and down the plane or stand in the back if the flight attendants don't look too busy.

As for the little screens, TWICE, my flights from tokyo to portland (11 hours) didn't have the little screens, so I bring backup entertainment now. I always wear flip flop/sandals and bring fuzzy socks because in my experience long flights always get cold, especially if you're by the windows. A jacket is a must for me too.

Airplane food is always crappy, but edible, IMO. If you're not picky about vegetarian food or whatever, when you buy your ticket select the option for special diet (halal, vegetarian, etc.) and you will get served first. On long haul flights sometimes they have cup noodles and other snacks available on board if you ask for it. I got an ice cream sandwich once. (:

Other than that, bring wet wipes and a little thing of moisturizer.

Comment

eee I just want to add my 2 cents

•What is the best seat to take? Aisle or window? I prefer the aisle as you can get up freely use the bathroom and the like.
                •What are some essential carry-on luggage items? Ipod, a book, another pillow forsure, some face wipes are great as well..also bring a pen for immigration forms if you need them!
                •Do most planes these days have little screens for each passenger, or is that a rare thing? Depends on the carrier. I haven't flown with Air Canada but I'm sure if you look up the air craft size (747 or whatever) there should be websites that tell you the ins and outs of it.
                •What kinda shoes and clothes should I wear? I wear blacks tights with a long shirt and some of those cheap canvas shoes. I reckon comfortable clothing
                •Any advice regarding food I should know? I'm not very fussy, even with airplane food- I have always had the regular meals which hasn't been a problem but if you are gluten free or vegetarian you can get a meal suited to your needs (and it always comes out first which is a bonus )

Comment

I really like Air Canada, I've never had a problem with their direct flight. It seems pretty rare to see empty seats, but if there are you are allowed to move around. Other passengers sometimes ask to swap with you too, and that's fine as well.
                  If you booked your tickets online, make sure to log onto their website and choose your seat 48 odd hours before you leave otherwise you'll likely end up where you don't want to be. (Like up the back of the plane. If food is important to you, don't sit at the back because by the time they get to you everyone else has taken the good food option and you're left with what everyone else didn't want.)
                  They feed you two meals and a snack (usually a small roll and some fruit) so if you need to eat more than that, bring food.
                  Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

What is the best seat to take? Aisle or window?
                    Depends on you. If you would like to visit the rest room often or walk around in general, then the aisle seat. If you want to try and sleep most of the way, then I think window is best. I always use the wall/window to put my pillow against. If I sat (haven't tried it, since I always ask for a window seat) I would imagine I would have a hard to time finding a way to to comfortably without making my head fall down on the person next to me. XD

What are some essential carry-on luggage items?
                    For me it is:
                    - ipod and maybe a book (or any other easy entertainment you may like)
                    - medicine (Well... pain killers, don't want to get a head ache or some other pain you can't cure. Not fun.)
                    - earplugs (some airlines gives these, others don't. I use them to keep the noise out while I try to sleep. An aircraft is not the most silent thing in the world)
                    - Lip balm. (I'm not sure about other people, but for me the air feels very dry during a long flight, which dries out my lips a lot!)

Do most planes these days have little screens for each passenger, or is that a rare thing?
                    - I would say all have these. I haven't tried a long flight without one. (and think I've been on 20+ long flights (10+ hours))

What kinda shoes and clothes should I wear?
                    - Comfortable. Don't just tight clothes, since well... you will be sitting down for a very long time. And maybe also avoid clothes with short sleeves and such, since it can get a bit chilly during the flight.

Any advice regarding food I should know? I'm not very fussy, even with airplane food :P
                    Don't think so.

Comment

I think window seats are the best, I don't get up too often so I don't feel too bad about asking people to let me through Or I just get up and go when they are up walking around.

What to bring ont eh carry on. I vote a backpack and put your purse in the bottom for sure you can stuff more in there. Anything of value you don't want to get lost or broken. A small pillow I have a great compact camp pillow that I took all last year on my travels around the world that was my best friend and if you get stuck somewhere in an airport for awhile it's great to have. ipod, books, journal, medicine to sleep or so you don't get motion sickness if this is an issue. snacks and water (bought after security)

what do wear? comfy clothes and easy to slip on and off shoes. I always have a hoodie with me no matter the weather becuase it can get cold on the plane.

Food, it's not too bad

Oh and screens, yeah all long flights (unless you are flying super cheap) will have a screen with movies, games, and such. Enjoy it honestly it passes most of my time on the long flights.

Good luck i hope it's a great ttrip!!

Comment

Arghhh I am so stupidly excited!

Comment

What is the best seat to take? Aisle or window? Isle, being next to the window is great only if your sitting alone but if your not and have to go pee or something and theres this person asleep refusing to get out of the way(had this happen while going to see Denise arrrg!!) its best for an isle seat
                          What are some essential carry-on luggage items? books, mp3 player, some clothes, other little things to do
                          Do most planes these days have little screens for each passenger, or is that a rare thing? i think you only get those if your on a long distance flight, i did and i got to watch Glee alot
                          What kinda shoes and clothes should I wear?whatever you think you would be most comfortable in
                          Any advice regarding food I should know? I'm not very fussy, even with airplane food :P it sucks but its doable until you can get some food off the plane

Comment

Working...
                          X