Pretty Woman...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pretty Woman...

I hope all of you at least have even heard of Julia Roberts. Or at the very least know who Cinderella is.

Anyway, not to spoil what I consider as a classic movie or anything, but anyone ever wonder what happened to Vivian and Edward later on down the road? Did they marry? Did they have kids? And if they had children, how is Vivian supposed to answer once they ask her how she and her husband met? Tell them she used to be a prostitute? That she only did it because he was loaded and if he hadn't been she probably wouldn't have given him the time of day? How does Edward think and feel about this? Sure, she loves and cares for him NOW, for the person he is, but that wasn't what sparked her initial interest in him.

Not that I think anyone here is a prostitute (and if you are that's still not the point of the topic). But who here can admit to first pairing up with your SO for, perhaps, not such a great reason (ie, you liked their personality or had a similar interest, etc.). I've recently been evaluating why my boyfriend and I first decided to really start talking as intimately as we did and I admit I am a bit bothered by what his motives were. True, I know I he cares and loves me now on a level that can't even be compared with from back then, and we have discussed this issue so I know I can be open with him about it. But I was just wondering if there were others on the board who might like the share their stories and how it makes you feel now when you look back on it.

Huh, no movie fans? Well don't I feel a little lame and rejected.

Comment

I guess we all need a little more clarification. What exactly d you want to know? What we all think in cases such as one of the partners had a bad past? Or what?

Comment

Well I love pretty woman first of all. Great movie and great question. If you don't mind sharing what was the original motive of your current SO? I don't know if my SO had any ulterior motives when we first started talking to each other. It started as a dare (I know how romantic. He dared me to be his girlfriend for 5 days) and then we just continued into a real relationship

Comment

I would prefer not to share my SO's original motive ( that's why I didn't state it in my original post since it is something we've discussed). If I wasn't clear I would hope folks would ask me to clarify rather than just ignore me. What I'm basically asking it, such as the characters in Pretty Woman, if there were couples here who may have met under less than ideal circumstances? Sure, a lot of couples get together because they spent some time together and had a common interest, or if they met physically perhaps they had a physical attraction to one another. These are deemed as the normal way to start a relationship. But what about couples who didn't meet under such nice pretenses? How does that make you feel, looking back on it? Do you ignore it since your relationship has grown? Have you discussed it with your partner? Does it bother you but you keep quiet?

Edit: this isn't about having a "bad past", this is about starting a relationship with someone for a less than "romantic" reason, such as Vivian did because she just wanted money.

Comment

Well... ok... i don't know why Pretty Woman is the topic here, i love the movie.

How...imperfection made things perfect. Love doesn't see backgrounds, past... just happens. When someone put them self before the other person, its love, and its happens.

First time i met my SO i wasn't expect a relationship. I travel a lot, i know what travel fling is. I don't intent to have one because its just going to be hurtache. I thought he was a stalker, and when he say he love me, i honestly think its just a fling. I never say i love you back to him during the first 5 days.

I was on healing process from break up, and he just a tourist... same like me, another strangers meet on the highest bungee.

I never wish someone adore me like he did, i never got a card say "thank you for bringing the light in to my life" i never feel so much respected the way he does. Different culture, different personalities. Different world. He was... like up there place i never reach (he just too smart for me).

Until now, he still do thing i expect less.. when i feel down, he lift me up. I always feel like i never deserve him, but strange thing is, he say it was the opposite!

I catch a falling angel at Macau tower i guess ... and i never stop thank God for making such funny way to meet him

---------- Post added at 02:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 PM ----------

Well... ok... i don't know why Pretty Woman is the topic here, i love the movie.

How...imperfection made things perfect. Love doesn't see backgrounds, past... just happens. When someone put them self before the other person, its love, and its happens.

First time i met my SO i wasn't expect a relationship. I travel a lot, i know what travel fling is. I don't intent to have one because its just going to be hurtache. I thought he was a stalker, and when he say he love me, i honestly think its just a fling. I never say i love you back to him during the first 5 days.

I was on healing process from break up, and he just a tourist... same like me, another strangers meet on the highest bungee.

I never wish someone adore me like he did, i never got a card say "thank you for bringing the light in to my life" i never feel so much respected the way he does. Different culture, different personalities. Different world. He was... like up there place i never reach (he just too smart for me).

Until now, he still do thing i expect less.. when i feel down, he lift me up. I always feel like i never deserve him, but strange thing is, he say it was the opposite!

I catch a falling angel at Macau tower i guess ... and i never stop thank God for making such funny way to meet him

Comment

Well... My SO and I met in a way that we'll have to gloss over to tell our kids some day!! Most of my family knows the PG version, but my SO and I met at a new years party, and only had a physical relationship for a few months before we realised we were crazy about each other. Of my family, only my younger sister knows that (she and I talk about everything haha). I wouldn't say that I'd call the circumstances under which we met less than ideal, because I enjoyed it, and it was what we both wanted at the time... And conveniently, we both developed feelings for each other at the same time, right when we had to go about 5 weeks without seeing each other.

Love will not betray you, dismay or enslave you, it will set you free

Met: Cork, Ireland - December 31, 2009 • Started Dating: Cork, Ireland - May 22, 2010 • Became LD: July 15, 2010 • My Move From Canada to UK: October 26, 2011
              Closed the distance June 18, 2012!

Comment

Originally posted by kteire View Post
                Well... My SO and I met in a way that we'll have to gloss over to tell our kids some day!! Most of my family knows the PG version, but my SO and I met at a new years party, and only had a physical relationship for a few months before we realised we were crazy about each other. Of my family, only my younger sister knows that (she and I talk about everything haha). I wouldn't say that I'd call the circumstances under which we met less than ideal, because I enjoyed it, and it was what we both wanted at the time... And conveniently, we both developed feelings for each other at the same time, right when we had to go about 5 weeks without seeing each other.
                My boyfriend and I have a sort of similar story. I was really just looking for a bit of excitement and to get to know a local to practise the language and get some inside tips as I was an exchange student in his city. On top of that I had a bit more than too much to drink the night we met (and I hope he doesn't remember that I introduced him to my flatmates with a wrong name - It's something I'll never ask him about!).

But like kteire, I wouldn't say that it was less than ideal. I'm not exactly proud of it but we wouldn't have met at all under different circumstances and it worked out perfectly for us. Plus I read somewhere that couples who laugh/smile when asked how they met are happier and stay together longder... and that's the case for us. So it's all good.
                Last edited by Dziubka; September 8, 2011, 06:43 AM.

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

My SO and I met at the bar, where we were both drinking. Neither of us wanted to be there, but were dragged their by our friends ( whp were both pursueing getting laid). It wasn't the ideal, "we met in a book store, over coffee and fell in love". If I'm being honest here, we first attracted because we wanted to have sex with each other. Then we started hanging out and found out the other one wasn't so bad, and we started dating.

Most relationships start out that way. You think the other person is cute, you pursue them for physical reasons, find out they are awesome and start liking their personality as well. OP, it doesn't matter how you met, all that matters is that you are together now.
                  "We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love " ~ Theodore Seuss Geisel.

Comment

If we are using movie references, then in How to lose a guy in 10 days the guys parents hires the girl to get him out of the house by pretending to date. Even after that not so ideal start they still end up in love and happily ever after. It doesn't matter how you met, a story is a story weather you choose to tell it or not is up to you.

Comment

I think that ones Failure to Launch with Sarah Jessica Parker?

How to lose a Guy in 10 Days is Matthew MacCaunghey (cant spell!) where she is writting an article about how to drive men away and he has a bet that he can make any woman fall in love with him in 10 days.
                      Tea and hugs make the world go round - don't ever discount the little things in life.

Smiling away to oneself brings an obscene amount of joy when only you know the reason why your smiling. Pick something secret to smile about and let it light up your face all day long!

And remember....Love really IS all around.

Comment

Yea you're right. Those movies are all the same to me! Haha That one too though started out as a really bad motive to date.

Comment

Haha, I will have to check out both those films now Pretty Woman was the one that instantly sprang to mind for me and I'm glad folks here understand why I was using it for reference as I don't feel the need to tell my own story but the movie explains how someone could first start a relationship with someone else for less than perfect reasons. And I'm really glad to read how the general opinion seems to be that I should focus on the present relationship rather than the details of the beginning if they make me less than happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosebud View Post
                            Huh, no movie fans? Well don't I feel a little lame and rejected.
                            Not at all mate. i saw this yesterday and i was like "that's such an interesting thread" and I don't know how it is I got sidetracked :/

Looking back... hmm. Well Obi liked any girl that gave him attention, and I liked anyone that gave me attention. Initially I was attracted to his innocence and vulnerablility. The only not-so-good attraction in there would be that I kept coming back because he satisfied me sexually (from Canada, there's a good effort!) when my boyfriend of the time (using this term loosely) could not.

How would I feel talking to my kids about this? Well, since we've gotten engaged everyone in his family has asked our story and this has never come up, so I think I'm pretty safe.

This is totally apropreate for this thread:
                            Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

My SO and I first went out because he wanted to get in my pants. Gringas have a notorious relationship in Costa Rica for being easy. I wanted to go out with him to practice my Spanish. Let's just say we both got what we wanted...

I just tell people we met at a salsa club...

Comment

Working...
                              X