This guy won't take a hint...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This guy won't take a hint...

I don't know what else to do. Sorry this is long, I'm so frustrated.
    There's this guy I used to kind of be friends with in highschool that won't take a hint. I was in a choir with this guy and went on a few choir trips with him (n.b. with about 70 other people, and we hung out with different people) and since then, I've had very minimal contact with him. Saw him once at a party, and once paid him to fix my computer... and that was pretty much it. Mind you, I graduated from highschool in 2005, and that's been twice I've seen him in 6 years. Apparently he had a crush on me in highschool, but again, that was quite a while ago.
    Over the past year, however, he keeps contacting me. I had him on facebook, and when I moved back home and got a new cell phone, I posted my number on facebook (not thinking anything of it, I've done that loads before). He would text me all the time, and to be nice, I texted back a bit, mentioning my SO many times. When my SO came to visit in November last year, he texted me honestly about a dozen times each day (knowing I was with my SO), and I never responded to any of them. After a week of this, my SO was a bit uncomfortable, so I texted him back saying that I wasn't comfortable with how much contact he was trying to have with me.
    He stopped for a while, but then instead of texting me, he'd try to talk to me every time I was online on facebook chat, often inviting me to nudist parties (which I asked him to stop doing) and asking if he could come over. I was very blunt in telling him that we hadn't really been friends to begin with, and I didn't want him to keep contacting me. I blocked him on facebook chat, and then he'd send me a message saying his sister could see me online. So I blocked and deleted him completely, and made it so that his sister couldn't see me online.
    Well, then. He saw me in gchat (I don't know how, I can't remember ever emailing him but I've had this email address since highschool) and sent me messages saying he was concerned that my SO was making me cut off contact with him, and asking how I was doing. I removed him from my contacts there, and then he started emailing me, asking me to go on road trips, come to parties, go for brunch, etc. I emailed back to one and asked him not to contact me, and set his emails to go into my spam folder.
    Aaand now, I've changed my phone number and blocked all forms of communication, but people that we both know have messaged me to say that he says hi, unaware of what's gone on, and he somehow found my new cell phone number (I didn't post that one on facebook, and few people know it) and has started texting again.

I don't know what to do now. I don't know if I'm overreacting, but I'm very uncomfortable with this and quite creeped out. He lives in the same city as me and has never actually tried to come by where I live, so I'm assuming he's harmless, but it bothers me still. I don't know if I haven't been blunt enough with him, but does anyone have an idea of what else I can do?! I don't know if I should get law enforcement involved or what... I've tried to talk to some of our mutual friends about it, and they pretty much just write it off as him being sad and lonely... Bleh.
    Any suggestions??

Love will not betray you, dismay or enslave you, it will set you free

Met: Cork, Ireland - December 31, 2009 • Started Dating: Cork, Ireland - May 22, 2010 • Became LD: July 15, 2010 • My Move From Canada to UK: October 26, 2011
    Closed the distance June 18, 2012!

Block his number, block him on FB and let your friends know you don't want to have anything to do with the creep. He sounds obsessive. Be careful.
    Three words. Fill my racing mind. Leave me breathless. Lost in time.
    Three words. Fill my endless dreams. Repair my heart. Mend the seams.
    Three words. Fill your heart too. Three words pronounced. I love you.

~~~~~~

You look in the mirror, you don't like what you see, don't believe it.
    Look in my eyes, I am the only mirror you're ever gonna need.

Met online: 12/24/10 Met In Person: 2/24/11 Distance Closed: 4/24/11
    Not one regret, not one backwards look, only towards the future and beyond!

Comment

Ignore him completely. If it gets to the point where you are uncomfortable, give your local police station a call and see what your options are , I'm sure they would be happy to help

Comment

At this point I would tell your friends that you don't want anything to do with him.
        Has he ever tried flirting with you?
        I can understand wanting to be friends but inviting you to nudist parties is kinda weird.
        It is kinda creepy that he keeps getting contact with you after you ignoring him
        This seems to be a little on the side of stalking or heavy infatuation.

I would just write him once. saying

" look. I know you like me and thats okay but I have an SO and you need to stop contacting me like you have, no offense but it makes me uncomfortable. My SO has nothing to do with me cutting off contact with you. And even if he did it's none of your business. So please just leave me alone. I'm not interested in dating anyone else. "
        " There is always hope.
        "

Comment

Warn him one last time that if he doesn't stop you'll contact the police. If he doesn't stop - contact the police. It's harrasment and you don't have to put up with it.
          Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

I'm trying to figure out how to block his number, I'm on the phone with Telus now figuring out how to block his texts. I've tried *67 but that didn't seem to work.
            He has flirted with me a lot in the past, and he was very weird when I mentioned my SO last year, saying things about how LDRs never work out, and that I should find someone better at home. I've been ignoring him since last November save for the one email back this summer, so maybe I'll try what you said Zephii and see if that works.
            I really do feel so uncomfortable. I was stalked once before by someone with severe schizophrenia, and I'm admittedly still on edge from that.

---------- Post added at 03:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 PM ----------

Oh and I meant to mention - I've talked to many of our mutual friends, and they've not been very helpful. They've said things like I mentioned, about him being just sad and lonely, and that he's harmless, and I should try to talk to him about it. And when I mention I've asked him to stop contacting me, the response I've got has been like "Well, I don't want to get involved"
            Useless!! Ugh!

Met: Cork, Ireland - December 31, 2009 • Started Dating: Cork, Ireland - May 22, 2010 • Became LD: July 15, 2010 • My Move From Canada to UK: October 26, 2011

Comment

I doubt if the police will do anything to be honest, especially if he is not doing anything other than text message or fb messages.
              Three words. Fill my racing mind. Leave me breathless. Lost in time.
              Three words. Fill my endless dreams. Repair my heart. Mend the seams.
              Three words. Fill your heart too. Three words pronounced. I love you.

~~~~~~

You look in the mirror, you don't like what you see, don't believe it.
              Look in my eyes, I am the only mirror you're ever gonna need.

Met online: 12/24/10 Met In Person: 2/24/11 Distance Closed: 4/24/11
              Not one regret, not one backwards look, only towards the future and beyond!

Comment

Originally posted by snow_girl View Post
                Ignore him completely. If it gets to the point where you are uncomfortable, give your local police station a call and see what your options are , I'm sure they would be happy to help
                I think this is the best advise, call the police and explain the situation to see your options because he is obviously harrasing you, ande he didn't go to look for you at your house or other places yet but you don't want him to start doing it

Comment

Wow, can this guy not take a hint that you're not interested?! I was constantly hounded by two of my ex's in this way, one of whom I only just managed to block completely out of my life. You need to take this up with the police, as soon as you can. This is harassment and obsessive behaviour at its worst and it needs to be sorted out! I'm sorry you're having to go through this. I hope it gets resolved asap.

Comment

I know how it feels, i had a kid that would walk up and down my street and sit out of my door for hours, and if i ran into him he'd follow me wherever i went downtown. Even if he's not physically creeping on you, it's annoying. go to your phone's shop and ask them to block his number, tell your friends about this situation and ignore him, as everyone else said. you've done enough, he should have taken the hint months ago.

Distance doesn't matter when two hearts are loyal to each other.

Comment

I don't think the cops will interfere, but you could always use that threat to scare him. Just never reply to him anymore. Don't give him any attention. He'll back off eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by Zephii View Post
                        Warn him one last time that if he doesn't stop you'll contact the police. If he doesn't stop - contact the police. It's harrasment and you don't have to put up with it.
                        This, but truthfully the police may not be able to do much unless he's actually threatening to harm you or some such. However, it'll at least create a paper trail and show that you tried to see what your options were.

Comment

Originally posted by Zephii View Post
                          ^what she said.

be stern with him. leave no room for interpretation.

Comment

See, that's what I'm worried about. When I had a stalker obsessed with me before, it took a long time before the police did anything about it, and that frightened me. I guess it would be good to at least have a paper trail with regards to this. I've sent him a text saying "I have told you several times that I am very uncomfortable with the amount of attention you have been giving me. I do not want to have any sort of relationship with you, and want you to stop discussing me with our mutual friends. Please respect my wishes, or I will have no choice but to involve the police." I think Telus has successfully blocked his number now, and I've moved since he saw me, and he would have no way of finding out where I live (my mum's house and phone number are unlisted). At least the good thing is I'm leaving in a month, but he's aware of this, and his attempts to contact me lately have increased.

Thanks for your opinions everyone, I'm glad to know it's not all in my head that this is creepy.

Comment

I would make sure too to any and all friends that you have that you are having a problem with him harassing him [which is what this is] and to not give him any of your information. I was stalked before too and situations like these aren't something to take lightly. Everyone seems harmless until they aren't anymore.

Comment

Working...
                              X