No announcement yet.

Differences between you and your SO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He's very social and outgoing even when meeting new people, and I'm quite quiet and reserved in large groups of people. I only feel comfortable in small groups or with close friends. He's quite into being the chivalrous guy (carry stuff, open doors, push seat in etc.) where as I have the mentality that "I'm capable, thank you, I have arms" :P

He's also really musical and can play lots of instruments, whereas I only ever learned how to play the recorder..... Lol.

What else...He's very, very tidy, whereas I like a certain amount of cozy mess :P

We're both a bit weird and have a compatible weirdness, haha

Comment

there are 15 years between me and my SO- so thats one difference, we've experienced different decades whilst growing up. (ie i grew up with tape cassettes then cds.. but he grew up with vinyl!!)

another difference that is going to cause problems later is the fact i'm a healthy, young female who wants to experience pregancy etc. My SO has firmly made it clear he does not. i qoute aline he said to me on the subject... "If you want marriage and / or kids, you best go find yourself another man, i do not want to marry or be a father

other little differences- i'm messy and hes OCD when it comes to the flat. i get espech messy whn cooking. -- i'm up for trying new things, he'd prefer to stay in most times. --

Comment

Originally posted by Dziubka View Post
        I think we're pretty similar.
        There are some differences... I'm really messy (I can't help it) and my boyfriend likes things to be neat. He tidied up my whole room on his last visit.
        Ohh, he needs a lot more sleep than me. And it's really annoying that he's asleep or at least tired all the time, when I know for sure he slept more than me during the night.
        this sounds abit like me and my SO, except i'm the neat one and the one who wants to keep sleeping . I can't really think of any MAJOR differences between us, we are pretty similar..

although he loves to watch sport... and i really don't lol. and I love chick flicky type shows/movies and he really doesn't.. but i'll put this down to different genders more than anything else lol
        Met Online: February 2009
        Feelings grew: January 2011
        First met in person: 4 April - 16 April 2011
        Officially together since: 4th of April 2011
        Second visit: 29 June - 1 August 2011
        Third visit: 28 September - 15 October 2011
        Fourth visit: 19 January - 25 February 2012
        Fifth visit: 24 March - 12 April 2012
        Sixth visit: 2 June - 7 July 2012
        Engaged: 1st of July 2012
        Seventh visit: 27 August - 23 September
        Visa lodged: 5th of November 2012
        Eighth visit: 8 December 2012 - 12 January 2013
        Visa granted: 8th of May 2013
        Hawaii: 19 May - 2 June 2013
        Closed the distance: 16th of July 2013

Married my Englishman on the 4th of October 2013

Comment

We can be like oil and water with some things.. I'm always in a hurry.. he takes foreveeeeeeeeeeer
          \\ Someday everything will all make perfect sense. So for now, laugh at the confusion, smile through the tears, and keep reminding yourself that everything //
          \\ happens for a reason //

\\ We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing //

\\ When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” //
          \\They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, I told them they didn’t understand life!! //

Comment

My SO and I have very similar tastes, for example: we both have a passion for hot, extra spicy sauces and food. You'd expect that from me being mexican, but i was certainly surprised when he told me he even brings his own sauces to restaurants because the ones they have arent spicy enough.

We both LOVE mustard... Any kind! he's got 5 different kinds in his fridge right now and that means he's running low on it. Our favorite ice cream flavor is black cherry. We love Bailey's and we both like to have it the same way: a double on the rocks. We both like cooking, love to try different food and love chicken and seafood (specially shrimp). We're caffeine junkies, love crime shows (like CSI) and food shows, our favorite chick flick is The Notebook and we confessed we both cried like babies whenever we see it (again, who'd know i'd ever find a guy like that??)

Now, beside all these things, and many more we have in common, we are really different. i love to go out with my friends and he's more of a homebody, but i guess this is because he liked to party A LOT when he was younger and i didnt get that chance. Im more optimistic while he is a pesimist. He smokes and i dont. He drinks heavily and i drink occasionally (thats a habit he's working on leaving). He, being the party boy he was, has had his share of "experiences" with certain substances while i haven't and it's something i plan to keep that way. He's been arrested for stupid things but his record is clean because the police never pressed charges (they knew it was stupid to arrest him and there was no way they could keep him locked for that), i have never spoken to a police officer in my entire life. He has lived with two girlfriends (it took me a while but i finally accepted it) and i've been raised to leave my parents' home when i get married.

These are the ones i can think if right niw lol... We are so different, but thats what makes this whole nonsense so much funnier!!

“Laughing like children, living like lovers, rolling like thunder under the covers”

Comment

For starters I'm 6'5 and she's 5'2 haha big height difference, but we are both ok with it she worries about everything and i worry about nothing. not much else.. we are pretty alike

Comment

Originally posted by 11MikesGirl21 View Post
                Country....the ARMY BRAT banned country music if you'll believe it. I actually told him that the only thing I enjoy about the distance is not fighting about country music.

Also Christina Agulera (I can never spell her name), is banned because of some pact he has with his bestfriend. (I find a way of playing her when the modd strikes me though) And some other "girl music" has been banned. Oh, and he banned my FAVORITE band, Three Days Grace, but he let me play both CDs I keep in his car last road trip, so I think he's breaking.

But still no country. I make a point of leaving the country radio station on "blasting-make-his-ears-bleed" volume after I borrow his car when I'm home. He likes a couple songs here and there. He won't admit it, but when we first started dating I got him to admit that he liked Keith Urban's 'Told You So'. The summer with him is going to be fun again. I (along with my family, friends, and entire neighborhood) bleed country during the summer.
                Haha I definitely do like a decent amount of country, but I also have a limit :P I went crazy when I had to listen to it non stop on a 15 hour bus ride to Calgary during the stampede (Canada´s Texas, fyi)

"In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd."
                -Miguel De Cervantes

Read our story HERE
                \

Comment

Originally posted by DemonxOisin View Post
                  Haha I definitely do like a decent amount of country, but I also have a limit :P I went crazy when I had to listen to it non stop on a 15 hour bus ride to Calgary during the stampede (Canada´s Texas, fyi)
                  I love country music, im in love with it... But i guess my SO wouldnt stabd it 24/7 either... Hes more into indie stuff... And dubstep and things like that lol

---------- Post added at 09:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 PM ----------

Damn ipod and stupid autocorrect not working on the forum!!

“Laughing like children, living like lovers, rolling like thunder under the covers”

Comment

Originally posted by DemonxOisin View Post
                    I have my limit too. His limit is just closer to zero tolerance.
                    ". . . We obviously have to come to accept it, but that doesn't stop it from gnawing at us day by day.
                    The best we can do is enjoy our time together, anticipate our reunions, and remain passionate and loyal through distance." ~Mike <3

~*~11.21.2010~*~

Comment

We are night and day. It starts with physical appearance (he's very tall, I'm tiny, he's skinny, I'm curvaceous, his skin is milk-white and mine is olive-ish, I have dark hair and eyes and his are respectively blonde and blue) and goes on to pretty much everything. I'm outgoing and talkative while he's shy and introverted. I tend to panick and overreact whil he approaches matters in a more rational way. I am passionate and he is more emotionally detached from things. He LOVES beer (moderately) and I dislike it :P I am absolutely hopeless with a map and he has the world's greatest sense of orientation (very handy when we're traveling together). He has good work ethics and I tend to procrastinate.

Even our tastes, though they seem similar, are different. In music, we are both into the same genre, but there are very few bands that we both like. Same with movies, literature, etc.

We comes from entirely different cultural and religious backgrounds, though we're both more or less atheists.

We both love good food. And most importantly, we love each other. So I guess we'll be alright.
                      I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

we're both fairly shy within large groups of people, so one similarity is that we both do best within a smaller group of friends. and we're both fairly rational when it comes to thinking and decision-making, but sometimes I get emotional out of nowhere and he's always calming me down. :P we both like to party, but he's a bit more into it than I am, frequently I'd rather just stay at home. we're both really silly when we stay home though, not hesitating to build a blanket fort and read comics and watch movies. and we're both into trying new foods! although he's more picky than I am, I love that he's at least willing to try new things. and we both love camping!

he loves electronic and trance music while I like indie. he wants to design computer games and loves programming, while I want to go into art therapy. he's more adventurous than I am, I'm just scared of everything. :P and we're both serious nerds, but in different realms. he's into gaming, sci fi, gadgets, new things, I'm into books, fantasy, old things, and art (although we've created some cross over).

I tend to eat healthier, get up somewhat early, and do yoga, whereas he would sleep the entire day and have a diet consisting entirely of bacon if I let him. he's an athiest and I'm more agnostic. I'm more family oriented than he is, and I often get along better with his parents than he does! :P I think he's smarter than me, though, and very logical and sure of himself. and he's really good at games. board games, card games, whatever, he beats me every single time. it sucks. we're very sexually compatible, which is nice! neither of us had too much experience before the other, so we learned together. and we both want to get married and have kids in the future.

I think we compliment each other really well and have learned a lot. the things I love him for the most are the things that are most opposite to me!
                        Last edited by one-more-reason; May 7, 2012, 10:23 AM.

Comment

I guess when we've come across differences, we talk it over until we're both comfortable with it, and try to change the behaviours if they're not constructive. Like a few months ago, I was having a bad day and felt bad for unloading on my SO. When I'm having a bad day, all I want to do is skype with him and talk about it. I asked him then why he never seems to have bad days, and he said that he will just not come online to talk until he's feeling better, and would say that he's busy or out so that I don't worry. He likes to be alone to deal with his thoughts if he's upset, and he said he would feel bad worrying me with it. I felt pretty bad, and I think I slightly overreacted at the time, because there haven't been any times for me that I wouldn't want to talk to my SO, and so I had a bit of a hard time understanding. Plus, I don't really like being lied to, I'd rather he just say, I need a minute and I'll let you know when I'll be around. And then I felt guilty that I'd made our relationship so one-sided, that he was always there to support me, so much so that he was dealing with a lot of tough things on his own so as to not burden me.

So we've both worked on it. I've tried to stop running to my SO with every little problem, and he's more upfront about how he's feeling (most of the time at least). And while he still keeps some stuff to himself (like when my grandma died), we've been communicating a lot better!

Love will not betray you, dismay or enslave you, it will set you free

Met: Cork, Ireland - December 31, 2009 • Started Dating: Cork, Ireland - May 22, 2010 • Became LD: July 15, 2010 • My Move From Canada to UK: October 26, 2011
                          Closed the distance June 18, 2012!

Comment

Dylan is skeptical where I am trusting... Dylan is logical where I am emotional... Dylan is confident where I am fearful (but getting better).

For the most part, the fact we are very different has been a good thing. His logic calms my emotion and helps me to see the situation more clearly. His confidence helps enable me to be confident.

The only part where we've had friction (on my side) is his skepticalness... I love knowing crazy random facts about things, and unfortunately, some (most?) have come from my family... and they are not always right. Dylan has told me on more than one occasion that I am not correct about some things... and at first it hurt my feelings (previous SO's wouldn't have known, so they just agreed) but I had to realize, I'd rather have my information be correct, and corrected by the person I care about the most, instead of a stranger. Now that I've realized that, I'm much better.

All in all, it's good that we offset like this...
                            My motor runs a lover's heartbeat
                            It's just me and you
                            Put the pedal to the metal
                            Baby, turn the radio on
                            We can run to the far side of nowhere
                            We can run 'til the days are gone

Comment

I think that being different doesn't matter if you both agree with each others' differences.

Me and my SO are very different~!
                              Different country. (him in the US and me in Canada)
                              Different language. (him english and me french)
                              Different age (we have a 8 years gap)
                              Different music tastes (he's a big fan of screamo and i like Jpop/kpop)
                              Different tastes for food (we sooooo don't eat the same things)
                              Different religions

We have also a very different background...
                              Having an age gap like this, we are at different 'stages' in life.

Yet, we respect each other, we understand each other, we love each other more than anything in the world.
                              Some differences are harder to deal with others but I believe that if you love and trust each other, you will be able to understand that differences don't matter.

cheers
                              ♡ ~~~~ 'When you find something worth fighting for, you never give up' ~~~~ ♡

Comment

Differences between us? They're so few and far in between, it's sometimes hard to find them in my thoughts.
                                She's more into mathematics than I am, although she's the one who made me like math in the first place. *grins*
                                She's a different gender.
                                Her mother's wayyyy different from mine.

... Is there anything else? Hmm. As a person/as people? No, nothing really comes to mind personality-wise or mentally-wise. I just... love her so much.

Comment

Working...
                                X