Arguing parents...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arguing parents...

What do you do when your SO's parents constantly argue and bicker? There's been a threat of divorce for years, and yet they haven't. They constantly argue amoungst themselves, day in, day out. They're wearing my poor SO out...he's really stressed out, depressed and tense a lot of the time, and there's not much I can do to help him when I'm here in the UK and he's in the US. They make him and his brother do a lot of chores, and I've witnessed a lot of the arguments. It hurts me when they hurt him. How can I help him besides talking to him to ease him through this painful time, when all his parents seem to do is hurt him?

My SO's parents went through a nasty divorce (abuse and cheating... just a bad situation). Both of his parents remarried. His dad and step mom are happy but his mom and step dad fight like cats and dogs. The only thing really to do is be there for him when he is upset. We can't change the way his parents act, but we can be his support system.

Became a couple: March 17th, 2010
    Started our college long distance relationship: August 2011
    Surprise engagement in Disneyworld! : March 22nd, 2013
    Closed the distance: May 2nd, 2014
    Became his wife and started our happily ever after!: May 17th, 2014

Comment

Unfortunately there is little else you can do besides support him. My father was very abusive for my whole life, and when I started dating my SO, all he could (and should) do was emotionally support me and get me out of the house when he got violent. It was his worry, support, and resolve to protect me as much as he could that gave me the strength to get myself (and eventually the rest of my family) a restraining order and get us out of that hell.

As his LD girlfriend, it is your job to be there for him and support his decisions in this matter, not to change his home.... which is impossible.

Comment

Working...
      X