Going Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going Home

I've been staying with my SO in England for the last 3.5 months. On Sunday, I'll be going back home to Texas. I'm happy that I'll get to see my family again after so long, but I know that I'm really going to miss my SO. We've gotten so used to being together and doing things together. We were even lucky enough to be able to celebrate our one year anniversary together. If I'm honest, I'm really not looking forward to going home. The closest that I've ever come to this feeling is when I did a semester abroad three years ago, but there wasn't this feeling of not wanting to go home. I was ready to go home last time. This time, I just want to stay. For those who have done long visits like this, were things any different when you got home? What can I expect? Thank you so much ahead of time for your replies.
    "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
    Made it official: September 17, 2010
    Got engaged: January 15, 2012
    Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
    Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
    Got married: November 21, 2012
    Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
    Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

I just got home after a visit of a year and 9 months. What can you expect? Well, I guess that's different for everyone. But, there's this void.. and suddenly you have all this free time that used to be taken up by your SO. You have to figure out a routine to keep in contact all over again.

Long distance was actually really fulfilling for me last time.. this time I feel like I have a pen-pal. I feel like I'm chained to my computer, when I just wish we could be doing things away from the pc.

Are things different? Yes. It's hard to narrow down how it's different though. I guess we are just less involved in each other's lives.
    Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

I spend about 3 and a half/4 months apart from my SO then 3 months on (visa wavior). It is hard when you are spending so much time together as you get more intuned with your SO and you can really see how well you both gel together CD.

Things different? Yeah they were. The communication changed but I knew that would happen. It may take a while to get back into LD..the first time it took me a month and now it takes me about a couple of weeks.

Comment

Thank you both so much for your replies! I really appreciate them. I know it's going to be hard. I just wanted to know just how hard it's going to be. This is the longest amount of time we've ever been together, and I thought it might be different.
        Zephii, you always have such amazing things to say. Thank you so much for giving me some things to expect.
        Madge, you're absolutely right! My SO and I have really learned a lot about each other. We get along so well and it's going to be hard not being around him all of the time.
        "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
        Made it official: September 17, 2010
        Got engaged: January 15, 2012
        Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
        Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
        Got married: November 21, 2012
        Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
        Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

Working...
        X