First little long-distance bump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First little long-distance bump

So the distance has finally put a riff between us. I kind of expected a fight about it someday, and unfortunately, here it is.

I visited my SO, 10 hours away, three weeks ago. I paid for my bus fare and hotel in the center of a major city; I'd love to say money is no object, but it is. I'm in school and quite honestly, any added expenses are hard to swing. But I did it anyway, it was well worth it to see him.

But now, at the suggestion he come visit before the end of the semester - he insists it isn't possible because he can't afford a hotel, out here in my rural college town. Now, I would be incredibly understanding of this, because I know money is tight - Except, he just bought a round trip train ticket home for this past weekend. And another one for this weekend. And a three day pass to an anime convention.

I feel like I'm being slighted here. Like I'm not as important as his friends back home, and that he's not willing to put in the effort to scrimp and save a little bit to see me. He'd rather blow off money on little trips with the guys, then to make a big effort to see me.

He tells me I'm being immature and he's too exhausted from his return trip to argue with me.

I just feel unimportant at the moment

Unforunately, money is a big obstacle for people and it is so easy to fight over.
    My SO and I fight about money all the time. I have a lot more saved than he does but I don't recieve any student loans or anything so I need the money. He has almost no savings but spends his money on useless things. I let him borrow some money and he blew it on partying with his friends. So I know how you feel about fighting.
    I think you should talk to him about his priorities. He may really want to see his friends but he should also be considerate of you.

Became a couple: March 17th, 2010
    Started our college long distance relationship: August 2011
    Surprise engagement in Disneyworld! : March 22nd, 2013
    Closed the distance: May 2nd, 2014
    Became his wife and started our happily ever after!: May 17th, 2014

Comment

Maybe help him come up with some kind of plan? Put aside 25 dollars, 50 dollars etc every two weeks or so? My boyfriend has the same problem. He is HORRIBLE at saving money, and when he does have some he blows it on stupid things instead of saving it for what's really important. A lot of the time my bf is just living in the moment and he thinks without really acting. He buys something he doesn't need and he doesn't think about later. It helps him alot if we come up with a solid date and plan so he knows what he needs to get done...Like...This is the week we planned on you coming, you buy your train ticket and food, and i'll pay for this and this.
      When we were CD money was a huge problem for us as well. He never had any, I was paying rent...we broke up for a few months. Don't let something as stupid as MONEY get in between your happiness (:

Comment

Working...
      X