Pretty new to this.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pretty new to this.

Hi, Just started a LDR in Sept. SO and I have seen each other every weekend since then. I know I'm going to see him again on Friday, but by Wednesday of each week I'm a mess. I need some help with finding ways to make the time pass quicker in between visits.

Any advice for a first timer would be so appreciated!! This is hard...

Thanks.

There's lots to do that will help take your mind off things. Go out with friends, grad a book to read, learn an instrument, find a new hobby, and so many others Take the time apart to explore new things that you've always wanted to learn/try.
    You never forget your first love...

Comment

/gone
      “There is in every true woman's heart, a spark of heavenly fire, which lies dormant in the broad daylight of prosperity, but which kindles up and beams and blazes in the dark hour of adversity.”
      ~Washington Irving

Comment

Keep reminding yourself how lucky you are. You get to see each other every weekend! Most other couples don't have that. Including myself.

Comment

Email, text, phone calls, facebook...all of that. Just got signed up on Skype, so we should have that option shortly. It's just been so intense. I feel lonely and sad. Can't concentrate at work. Can't sleep. Skipping workouts to sit around moping. It's becoming a problem. Is this pretty normal? How do people deal with it on an individual level?

Comment

Well, I'll be honest, I've never met my other half and he's 5100 miles from me :P Some people on this site have SOs at even greater distances, so I'd say consider yourself extremely lucky, because the majority of us don't get to see our SOs very much, if at all. Have you tried looking at the list of 99 things to do that Michelle and Frank came up with? Check it out! There's some great ideas on there.

Welcome to LFAD btw!

Comment

How do you keep a relationship alive that far away? How did you meet?

Comment

/gone
                “There is in every true woman's heart, a spark of heavenly fire, which lies dormant in the broad daylight of prosperity, but which kindles up and beams and blazes in the dark hour of adversity.”
                ~Washington Irving

Comment

I met Chris online, on an iPod application's chatrooms. You make it work, that's what you do. Because when you love someone, you'll do anything and everything in your power to keep things going strong. You keep each other strong when times get rough. Keep the faith going.

Love can make you do extraordinary things and it can make you endure the hardest of situations when the going gets tough. Do I think all the pain and heartache is worth it? You bet your bottom dollar I do. I wouldn't give up on Chris simply because of the distance, even if the distance between us was 13k miles and not 5.1k.

Comment

Originally posted by HollzHeartsChris View Post
                    I met Chris online, on an iPod application's chatrooms. You make it work, that's what you do. Because when you love someone, you'll do anything and everything in your power to keep things going strong. You keep each other strong when times get rough. Keep the faith going.

Love can make you do extraordinary things and it can make you endure the hardest of situations when the going gets tough. Do I think all the pain and heartache is worth it? You bet your bottom dollar I do. I wouldn't give up on Chris simply because of the distance, even if the distance between us was 13k miles and not 5.1k.
                    Just wanted to say that this right here is nothing short of inspirational
                    You never forget your first love...

Comment

Originally posted by spring View Post
                      How do you keep a relationship alive that far away? How did you meet?
                      Many of us on here are in international, LONG distance relationships My boyfriend is 4200 miles away in Helsinki, we're a bit older and have the means to travel, but because of the amount of vacation time we have from work, 3, maybe 4 visits a year is what we can manage. A lot of people on LFAD aren't nearly that lucky. It's not that hard to keep a relationship alive this way, believe it or not. Communication, trust, consideration, respect and honesty do it, same as a close distance relationship. For us, we talk mostly everyday, we make each other a priority despite the distance. Sure, missing the physical aspect of it sucks, but when you find someone who's right for you, the sacrifices are worth it. I think it takes a strong person to make an LDR work well, you have to trust them and you can't be too clingy, you've also gotta be independent and willing to live your own life.

Good luck, and sorry in advance if people here don't seem very sympathetic that you "only" get to see your guy on weekends Welcome to LFAD too, btw!
                      Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Moon View Post
                        Good luck, and sorry in advance if people here don't seem very sympathetic that you "only" get to see your guy on weekends Welcome to LFAD too, btw!
                        No hard feelings, OP It's just that's truly awesome, that you get to spend that much time with your SO. You lucky, lucky thing lol.

Comment

Ugh you are so lucky! I wish I could see my bf every other week. It's every 6 months, for us.
                          Try and keep busy! I write him letters, all in one book, that I plan on giving him when we are together again. It's almost like I'm talking to him and telling him about my day. It's hard right now but it will get easier! Give it two months or so and you'll fall into a pattern, you'll get used to it, and you'll learn to be happy with the situation. Good luck!

Comment

Hey welcome to the forums
                            Yeah, pretty normal, that urge to mope. I'm getting a lot of urge to mope too because we just started being LD again. Just shy of 8000 miles here. You need to be able to be tough on yourself, coping is well... almost like a discipline! You have to be able to force yourself to keep going on. Eventually routine will make it easier to say good-bye at the end of the weekend and transition into who you are during the week. In the mean time, make a list of at least three things a day that you have to do (and work isnt one of them!) and promise yourself to do those before you mope.
                            Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Well first of all - you've come to the right place. We're all very supportive here. Yes, going into your first LDR (Long Distance Relationship) is probably the most difficult especially if you started off as a CD (Close Distance) couple. My first LDR I found it almost easier to go 2-3 months without seeing each other. But now on my second temporary LDR I find it alot harder because we started off as a CD couple. Check out the main site and the list of things that LD couples can do - lots of good ideas there. Stay busy and remember that every day you spend apart is one day closer to being together again.

Hope this helped, feel free to message me or friend me anytime. c:♥
                              .We've Closed the Distance.
                              no matter where i am, no matter where you are
                              i'll be there when it's over baby - cause i was there from the start
                              no matter if i'm near - dont matter if you're far
                              all you do is pick the phone up baby & i'll be there when you call

Whenever you need me, whenever you want me,

Comment

Working...
                              X