Work visas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Work visas

Just wondering if anyone has had to go through the process of getting a work visa, and how difficult it was. I know I've seen someone talking about the fiance visa, but as far as my research shows, we don't have that in Canada.
    He's working as a certified nursing assistant these days. As I understand it, you generally have to have a job offer to get a visa (except under special circumstances), but if you have a job offer how long/ difficult is that process?

I'm almost positive that a fiance visa can happen in Canada, I see a lot people who do use that option. As for the work visa, I know that my boyfriend tried to come from Ireland to find a job at that yes you have to be offered a job, and the process of the employer from what we saw is that not many are too willing to do it unless it's for a specific job that they can't find an American citizen can't do. And it usually cost the employer money to file for the employee which most that we had the experience weren't very willing unless again it is a big company. Good luck to whomever is trying to find a job!

Comment

with any type of Visa it is a 6 monthS to 2 year process sometimes slightly longer, i know this because my friend is helping my fiance out of the UK to the US

Comment

Work visa for Canada? Well, anyway they must have something like our State department, where you can get lots of info!

Comment

I've never had to do it, but I have family members that have. They basically say that it depends on where your coming from, and where your going to. =( Wish I could help more and good luck

Comment

I haven't looked at Canadian VISAs since last winter, but I'm pretty sure we do have a fiance one.

As for work, I'm not sure if he'd be eligible for the skilled worker VISA. Citizenship and Immigration Canada website Check out 3152, that's for registered nurses. He'd have to have worked in the field for at least a year before tho. If you're coming from the US, it'll be easier. If he'd be moving to Quebec, I have no idea about that because they have their own set of rules for VISAs. ^^;;

There's a test you can take on the site to see if you have enough points to apply for a skilled worker's VISA. ^^ Btw, you get extra for knowing French, even a basic understanding, so taking up a French course isn't a bad idea if you're shy a few points. :P

The other options I know of are being an international student for at least a year. Basically, having a student VISA for at least a year.

There are temp work VISAs too. But IIRC, those are for very specific positions. Like if you were an expert in your field of work and you were hired specifically for that job. I guess, like a designer, chef, etc.

Also, not all occupations require working VISAs. There are some jobs in the medical field that don't require it, but it's more for studying purposes.

Canada isn't as hard to get into as the US. You'll have to take a peek around the government website or call them, but AFAIK if you've lived in the country for at least 3 years you can apply for permanent residency. Obviously, living legally and with sponsorship. But 3 years isn't that long in comparison to other countries.

Comment

Alisz, that was really helpful, thanks!

I'm here on a working holiday program visa, which was pretty easy to get, but it means you can only work in unskilled labour and can't study, so it wouldn't be good for a trained professional.
              Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Generally yes, you do have to be offered the visa through the job/company you are going to work for. There are a few short term work visas for students. First, you can do what I did and go to school in the country you wish to live, this would give you a student visa that you would get through the university. You can also get something called BUNAC. It is a short term work visa (generally 6 months) only available to students, or recent graduates. Usually these are used for internships. You can only get BUNAC once in your life, it is also often used by au pairs.

good luck!

Comment

Well I have no advice or information on the subject matter, but I know plenty of people here have experience with visa etc and could possibly give you info! But I wish you the best of luck in the process....as I've seen here it can sometimes be very long and drawn out! BEST OF LUCK!

Comment

Working...
                  X