Need some advice please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some advice please!

So ive been with my SO for 7 months and 1 week today and i really want to get him a promise ring to show him how much he means to me. We plan on closing the distance in december he told me he wants to spend the rest of his life with me. I just dont know how to bring up the promise ring to him :3. He is the best thing thats ever happened to me and i cant see myself with anyone else. So how should i bring it up to him? Is 7 months too soon for one? We both feel like we been together for years. Any advice would be very helpful!

If you both feel strongly about each other, I don't necessarily think 7 months is too soon. I would just bring up promise rings in general and see how he feels about them, and if he likes the idea, then maybe suggest you were thinking about maybe getting promise rings at some time and see how he reacts. Basically, if he reacts well, then you should be alright moving forward with your plan
    You never forget your first love...

Comment

I think it all depends on your relationship (:
      I brought up the idea of a promise ring around a year. He was nervous about it because marriage is a HUGE committment, but we talked about it and we decided to get one for each other. There is no rule of what to promise to each other..since he was too nervous to make a step that would one day lead to a bigger one, we promised each other that we would be open with each other and we promised that a year from then we would talk very seriously about getting married since he wouldn't really broach this subject before this point. Our promise rings eventually evolved into something more, a promise to one day marry each other. I have a feeling in the next couple of months we will be moving on to an engagement. Weeee!
      So basically, you can make your promise anything you want...a promise to love each other no matter what the distance, through the good and the bad. A promise to always be honest with each other. If marriage is too scary for him to talk about right now there are other options that will make you both happy..It's basically the same thing, just without the word marriage.

Comment

i bought it up tonite and he said babe i like the idea but i dont really wear rings. its true he doesnt rly wear anything like bracelets or rings but like i rly want to get him and i a promise ring but now i dont know what i shuld do

Comment

My so is the same way, he will not wear any jewelery, but with that said a nice verbal or written promise is just as romantic, thoughtful and meaningful.

Comment

cybunny i agree with you i mean like i write him letters every anniversary about how i am never going to leave him and such just like im bad at bringing this stuff up. i wish he would wear a ring but i guess that day will come. i just love him so much and want him to know that i promise to always be his

Comment

What about a friendship bracelet? I know it might sound lame, and something that only 14 year old girls do, but I made matching ones for my SO and I, and I made sure they were made with neutral colors and also ones he liked (green brown and tan) and it was a masculine pattern, etc. It's not as serious as a promise ring but still a way to feel bonded. Its super natural looking too as its made out of embroidery floss so he doesnt feel like hes wearing jewelry. Just an idea!

Comment

/gone
                “There is in every true woman's heart, a spark of heavenly fire, which lies dormant in the broad daylight of prosperity, but which kindles up and beams and blazes in the dark hour of adversity.”
                ~Washington Irving

Comment

i mean i did get him the Love Knows No Distance bracelet and he wears it here and there, he isnt rly a fan of wearing bracelets or rings but like i wear my bracelet all the time havent taken it off since i got it. its hard to get him stuff i mean i made him a mouse pad that has pictures of us on it cuz hes always on the computer talkin to me so i was like this is a great idea! and he loves it

Comment

Yeah I know lots of married men who wear their ring looped through a "manly" chain around their neck. My boyfriend has also talked about a special/fancy watch as a commitment symbol. Is jewelry completely out for your SO?

Comment

i mean i feel like its completely out but im not sure like ive never seen him wear anything jewerly wise on him, i mean i could get him a watch but i wuld prob ask him if he wuld wear a watch

Comment

I was the only one in my relationship who wore a promise ring... my SO doesn't like jewelry either. I actually picked out and bought my own ring too (although it also wasn't a traditional diamond promise ring either). It doesn't really matter how you get the ring as long as the promise behind it is intact.

Comment

I think you should just be open and real. Be like you know I've never felt this way about anybody in my life and I feel that promise rings would really strengthen our love because we are both committed to each other 100%.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric1221 View Post
                            I think you should just be open and real. Be like you know I've never felt this way about anybody in my life and I feel that promise rings would really strengthen our love because we are both committed to each other 100%.
                            Well anytime i write him a letter i tell him i never felt this way before but i agree with you i should tell him but i dont want to force him into wearing something he doesnt want to wear you know?

Comment

I personally think that 7 months is to soon. But each relationship is different and if it is important to you then it is something you should do. And maybe you should do it together so it makes a bit more personal and something you can do together.
                              Got together Jan 3, 2011~ Closed the Distance March 23, 2012~ Living Together Since June 19 2012~ Future TBD......

I miss you more than I ever could have believed; and I was prepared to miss you a good deal." ~ Vita Sackville-west

Comment

Working...
                              X