Promise Rings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Promise Rings?

Me and my boyfriend have been talking about this for a little while now. I still dont know if we should get them or not in the future.

What do you think about them? Is it a good commitment thing for a LDR?
    Close together or far apart, you're forever in my heart.

I love you soooo much Luke

If you search the forum we have a pretty big thread on this.

I am personally a fan of promise rings. They show a certain commitment, which is often hard to show with an LDR, without promising marriage (engagement ring). It can also be said though that they have no purpose really and one should only have an engagement ring. It is personal to each person and relationship. My SO and I have promise rings mainly because we are too young both in our relationship and agewise to be engaged but still want to show a deep level of commitment to making the relationship work despite the distance. They also help to show others that I do in fact have a boyfriend, even if he is not there physically.

Plus, I really can't turn down an opportunity for more jewelry.

My promise ring does not particularly look like an engagement ring, although they most definitely can. Mine, rather, has two hearts and our names on it.
    Last edited by floridaellen; November 7, 2011, 07:11 PM. Reason: more thoughts

Became a couple: March 17th, 2010
    Started our college long distance relationship: August 2011
    Surprise engagement in Disneyworld! : March 22nd, 2013
    Closed the distance: May 2nd, 2014
    Became his wife and started our happily ever after!: May 17th, 2014

Comment

Floridaellen is right, there are alot of thread on this, so if you dont get a huge response if you search a while back you will fine some opinions.

I think that they are a good idea. Do I think you should get them if you have been together for less than maybe 5 or 6 months no. I also didnt like the idea when you are in CD relationships because you are constantly together so there is no need. But i think if you have been with you SO for a while and have been making the effort and commitment in the LDR i think it is a goof idea. and the one you describe sounds nice![COLOR="Silver"]
      Last edited by Bethypoo; November 7, 2011, 09:52 PM. Reason: double post
      Got together Jan 3, 2011~ Closed the Distance March 23, 2012~ Living Together Since June 19 2012~ Future TBD......

I miss you more than I ever could have believed; and I was prepared to miss you a good deal." ~ Vita Sackville-west

Comment

I like the idea of them. Not everyone wants or can get married, so they're a nice symbol for those folks. And not everyone is ready for an engagement, but they still want something to show off their commitment.

As my SO and I won't be able to get married for years (If we even decide to), I'd love a promise ring.

Comment

The meaning is a lot more flexible and it can mean whatever you need it to, without everyone else expecting something of you. It could mean promise to love/support each other or serve as a reminder of your love (which would be especially nice for an LDR). I suppose an engagement ring is a type of promise ring (promising marriage). I especially like how both the guy and the girl can wear them, but engagement rings are typically aimed at women. I want to mark that boy as mine, damn it! So, I think I'd like us wearing rings that remind us of each other and of the future to come A replacement for a single engagement ring even.

Married: June 9th, 2015

Comment

I think it's great if you're from a culture where there's a tradition of promise rings, so everyone knows what they stand for. There isn't such tradition in my culture or my boyfriend's. I don't even wear rings so if I suddenly start wearing one, people would notice and think it's an engagement ring. Explaining would be awkward, especially since I too don't actually understand. It's kinda like being engaged but not really? IDK.

Personally I'm perfectly happy without one. I'd rather wait for the 'real' thing. I think too many rings would make it a bit less special for me.

(of course, if he wanted to give me a promise ring, I wouldn't say no, how could I )

Like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. - Steve Jobs

Comment

https://members.lovingfromadistance....t=promise+ring

The link to the thread about promise rings

Comment

Originally posted by snow_girl View Post
                https://members.lovingfromadistance....t=promise+ring

The link to the thread about promise rings
                Thanks
                Close together or far apart, you're forever in my heart.

I love you soooo much Luke

Comment

Working...
                X