I need advice...(travel advice)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need advice...(travel advice)

Okay so my girlfriend and I decided to meet this December, she lives in Canada and I NEED to know what sort of documents I'd need to just cross into Canada. I've looked it up online since I've never traveled out of the country but It'd be nice to hear it from people who have recently traveled because I only get one shot at this and it'd be soooo messed up if I drove 2000 miles and I didn't get in because I wasn't prepared. =( Do I need a Enhanced drivers license or can I make it to there and back with just a passport?
    "To the world you might just be one person but to one person you might be the world" ~

All you need is a passport and to answer some questions at the border.

Comment

You can get a ton of info by Googling this, like....
      https://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_.../cis_1082.html
      https://gocanada.about.com/od/canada...izenborder.htm
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americ...Canada_by_land

Entry into Canada for US citizens (and vice versa) is pretty simple, just read up on what you'll need, and you should be good to go. I've heard though (and it might not be true) that Canada is VERY strict regarding criminal records, like a DUI will cause them not to let you in.
      Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

I've passed from Canada into the US and vice versa by car dozens of times, it's nothing to worry about As far as I know, the strictness about criminal records is more for people looking to acquire longterm visas, I know a friend of mine had issues coming on a working holiday one due to having been in possession of pot at one point.

Love will not betray you, dismay or enslave you, it will set you free

Met: Cork, Ireland - December 31, 2009 • Started Dating: Cork, Ireland - May 22, 2010 • Became LD: July 15, 2010 • My Move From Canada to UK: October 26, 2011
        Closed the distance June 18, 2012!

Comment

Thankyou all for replying to this I feel so relieved to hear that it's not so hard. Thank you so much.
          "To the world you might just be one person but to one person you might be the world" ~

Comment

passport is all you need. Obviously you will already have your drivers license just in case. Other than that all should be good.
            Got together Jan 3, 2011~ Closed the Distance March 23, 2012~ Living Together Since June 19 2012~ Future TBD......

I miss you more than I ever could have believed; and I was prepared to miss you a good deal." ~ Vita Sackville-west

Comment

just know where youre going and have your passport

I have been drivin from texas to Toronto every year since i was born, its normally really easy!

Comment

Yeah, you'll need a passport and if you are driving your drivers license and insurance. Also they do random checks of cars so yours could be checked with suspicion or not. Certain area's will actually do a background check on you, others won't so be prepared for that. Also have the address you are going to be staying at as well as a phone number to reach you written down as they'll ask you for that as well as how long you are going to be staying in Canada.

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

Working...
                X