Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

college LDR

My boyfriend is in college and so am i, we go to two different schools

Im not new to our LDR (were going on two and a half years in one and were high school sweethearts) but i am new to posting!

I find it harder to be in a LDR in college than I did my senior year of high school when he moved. Not that either of us are temped to give up what we have, just people dont understand. I have been asked everything about it (including is he real.) I think its crazy

Have any of yall be asked weird stuff like that?

Pretty much. People ask why I went so far away from home when I could've went a bunch of places and been with my family and SO of 2 years. Well, the money out here was unreal..

Comment

People tend to dislike what they don't understand... I've neth told flat out that someone didn't believe that my boyfriend was real. My boyfriend gets a lot of questions like "how do you go so long without sering her?! I can't even make it for a few days!" and such. It's never comforting but I do my best to avoid bad situations. Usually this includes mentioning forthcoming plans to meet up.
      Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
      Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
      Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

Yes - the transition from high school to college is probably going to be a lot harder for a number of reasons:

1.) The Academic Level
        2.)Social Issues
        3.) Financial Issues

These are all key aspects your going to have to adjust to in order to get into the swing of things with your LDR. Just be prepared to answer their questions and ground yourself for the questions to keep coming. Those who haven't been in a LDR have no clue what it feels like - and how hard it is. When you do find yourself in a solid social group, it should get easier. They'll even be able to support you and give you help when you need it. As for right now, try not to let them get to you and stick it our for you and your SO.

By the way, welcome to LFAD!
        .We've Closed the Distance.
        no matter where i am, no matter where you are
        i'll be there when it's over baby - cause i was there from the start
        no matter if i'm near - dont matter if you're far
        all you do is pick the phone up baby & i'll be there when you call

Whenever you need me, whenever you want me,

Comment

I think it is hard to explain it to people in general. But when it comes to explaining it to others in college it is a whole new thing. First of all they dont understand why you would want to be "held back" by someone that isnt physically there. Second, they assume that the other person is cheating. Third, they try to get you to doubt you relationship that way you are more inclined to go out with all of them when normally you would be talking to you SO.

It is hard for college kids to not try and ruin other people relationships especially when they are not in one. You and your SO have obviously been successful this far and therefore I dont think you have anything to worry about. Just keep communicating and just remember that you are not alone. We are all here for you. And there are alot of us here (myself included) that are in college. Even though I am a bit older that you I still understand what you are talking about and most of us here, like I said can share in the way that you are feeling.
          Got together Jan 3, 2011~ Closed the Distance March 23, 2012~ Living Together Since June 19 2012~ Future TBD......

I miss you more than I ever could have believed; and I was prepared to miss you a good deal." ~ Vita Sackville-west

Comment

my issue is a lot of people don't understand why we are staying together
            they think its a waste, seeing as we are now 3,344 miles apart
            stuff like that just makes me angry

Comment

I am so glad i stumbled upon this group! it makes it a little easier to know people understand! thanks yall!

Comment

People just don't understand.
                And somethings you won't understand until you are in that situation...
                This may be one of those things...
                Be surcharged with peace and joy, And scatter them wherever you are And wherever you go. Be a blazing fire of truth, Be a beauteous blossom of love And be a soothing balm of peace...sigpic

Comment

I'm a freshman in college. My SO is back at home, working and saving up money for school. We're about 1000 miles apart.
                  It is difficult to have a LDR in college. Most of my friends want to go out, have fun, flirt, pick up guys, ect. I don't really want to do that. I want to go out, yes, but not flirt. I tend to go out with them on 'girls night' and then avoid parties. I'm not much of a partier anyway, never have been, so it's no loss to me.
                  I think having a LDR is actually better for me though. During high school, my SO and I were CD, about 30 minutes apart. We saw each other every day (which killed my wallet for gas!). It kind of hampered my academic life. I would rather hang out with him than do my calculus homework! So this is actually better for me academically.
                  He still gives me the same support and love, just from further away. We never went to the same high school so I never had to see him at school, which I believe makes it a little bit easier.

Became a couple: March 17th, 2010
                  Started our college long distance relationship: August 2011
                  Surprise engagement in Disneyworld! : March 22nd, 2013
                  Closed the distance: May 2nd, 2014
                  Became his wife and started our happily ever after!: May 17th, 2014

Comment

My friends always tell me I should find someone local and I'm crazy for dating someone who is 2 hours away. They just dont know what we share even though I know my time with him isn't long we both make the best out of it

Comment

I agree with everyone here. I even talked to a girl who is my roommate's friend tonight and she was like "You guys haven't met yet? How do you know he isn't a psycho stalker or serial killer?" People tend to not like what they don't understand. Just ignore the naysayers and just keep on keepin on with your life

Comment

Honestly, I don't think we've gotten that reaction very much... We've both been hit on because we appear alone, but nobody has really questioned us when we say "Sorry, I'm taken."
                        People are often skeptical of our relationship's success, but not really about it's existence.

Comment

Working...
                        X