Saying "I Love You" too much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saying "I Love You" too much?

Mostly just here to complain. But I always have had a problem with complimenting too often or saying I love you too often. I mean, just now, I was on Skype with him, and I probably told him how cute and handsome he is about 5-6 times in 30 minutes. And I always say "I love you" first. Last night before we got off the phone I actually sat in awkward silence for 10 seconds until he said it first.

I mean I know he loves me and I know he thinks I'm pretty but I kind of wish he'd say it more often. I mean, not as often as I say it to him, but maybe at least once a day. He always just replies to me when I say that I love him. And a couple of times he'd just say "Ahhhh, gosh. You're SO pretty." and I mean it takes my breath away each time, but I want more of that.

I mean he's the best guy I've ever had the chance to meet and he's amazing and wonderful and sometimes reading the negative posts here I just feel so lucky to have him. I just can't get past this.

I both wish I could control myself and say these things less often, and that he would say them more. I know he is better at expressing himself physically. For example, he has no problem french kissing me randomly in the middle of the grocery store, but he can't say things out loud to me.

/rant
    <3

I love my Brazilian. Do you love yours too?

Michael doesnt say it first almost ever, dont think to much about, if you know he loves you thats all that matters. Talk to him about it, maybe he doesnt know how you feel.... good luck!

Comment

I had this conversation with my SO bout a month ago. He said i was being to clingy tellin him he was sexy n i love you too much. I said i was sorry n would attempt to calm it down. I've been pretty good recently, but ya i do wish he would say he loved me n missed me more often, but not much i can do. I know he loves me n that's all that really matters.
      "You want for myself
      You get me like no one else
      I am beautiful with you

I am beautiful with you
      Even in the darkest part of me
      I am beautiful with you
      Make it feel the way it's supposed to be
      You're here with me
      Just show me this and I'll believe
      I am beautiful with you"

-Halestorm

Comment

Balls... just wrote you a fairly long reply, just to delete it by accident I'll just cut to the chase: I used to get hurt that he didnt like big public displays of affection or me writing things on his fb wall. I used to also really worry if I had done or said something wrong if he didnt say he loved/missed me first (but im a worrier by nature and as soon as we talked again it would be appearent I had nothing to worry about). However, after talking and thinking about it I realised, that in the grand scheme of things, it doesnt matter that he doesnt like our relationship being that public, he just doesnt like sharing things with other people, and I've realised that I turned it into a massive non-issue. When we're alone together, he's great, he doesnt need to tell me he loves me because I can just feel it from the way he acts, when we're apart, he'll sometimes send me a sweet message (not very often, but my heart melts when he does), but even if he doesnt, it doesnt mean he loves me any less, its just not his style to be publicly romantic, and I have to accept that.
        Si tu n'etais pas la
        Comment pourrais-je vivre
        Je ne connaitrais pas
        Ce bonheur qui m'enivre
        Quand je suis dans tes bras
        Mon coeur joyeux se livre
        Comment pourrais-je vivre
        Si tu n'etais pas la

Love that will not betray you, dismay or enslave you. It will set you free.
        Home could be anywhere when I am holding you

"DONT RUIN MY DREAM OF MINITURE HIPPOS"

Comment

The I love you part isn't a problem for us. I think it used to be. When we ran out of things to talk about we would just keep saying the same things over and over again. There is only so many times that you can talk about getting married, living together happily ever after, and how much you love and miss them lol. It began to lose it's meaning and it got kind of boring. I don't really notice it now. We still have our lovey dovey talks every now and then and I tell him I love him before going to bed and maybe if he does something really sweet or if we are on the phone and we have to hang up. Usually two or three times a day. Sometimes I really believe you have to take a break from saying I love you to fully appreciate it's meaning. Every once and a while I will tell him I am IN love with him and vice versa and it's like falling in love all over again. I think it's great to express your feelings, though, and if you feel like telling him you love him 500 times in a row don't hold back. Love is love and you can never have too much. I just like to savor it (:
          As for the complimenting thing, I'm not sure what to tell you. This isn't really a problem for us. I usually don't even think about these things. Instead of seeing it as he doesn't compliment you enough, maybe look at it as a treat. It will feel more special if it happens less often. If you here you are so beautiful, you are my world, all that stuff all the time then it probably won't feel as amazing as it does when he says it occasionally (:
          Thats just my view! It's really late so I'm not sure if this all makes sense but I hope it helped

Comment

Actually , it sounds like perhaps a nice balance. You with the words and He with the public displays of affection. I think if you FEEL his love..that's what's most important. Have you told him how much it makes you weak in the knees when he says those awesome things from time to time? He may be enocouraged to do it more if you do. And I don't see anything wrong with you being your wonderfully expressive self~

Comment

I used to feel I said it too much. I said it anytime one of us left the house, in the morning, when he came home, before bed. I was always the first one saying it so I figured I said it too much. I brought it up with him once before bed, I can't remember the details but it had something to do with how I liked to hear it from him and not always following mine. He comes from a family where growing up they never ever heard "i love you' from his parents and he never used it. I come from one that uses it all the time, and I told him that being away from home and not hearing it even though I know he does love me was a bit hard. Since then he has said it a lot more, we don't overly say it but just hearing it from him even once a day has made me feel a lot better.

Try talking to him, it might be a brand new thing for him and isn't used to saying it. I'm pretty sure I am the first person he outwardly says it to and it took almost a year for him to be comfortable with it.

Comment

We say our I love you's whenever we say goodbye, first thing in the morning most days and at random whenever we feel it. We're about 50/50 on who says it first. I'm a big believer in telling people how you feel when you feel it because you never know if you'll get the chance to tell them again.
                If it means alot to you then you should talk to him about it, it cant hurt.
                As long as there is air in my lungs... there is a chance

Comment

Thank you everybody I have talked to him about it, and he does feel bad that it makes me sad. I think I was just more coming here to rant and see if anybody else struggles with saying it too often. It almost just spills out half the time. But I would like him to initiate once in a while.

His friends tell me he is a very private person. I mean when we were talking for 4 years online I knew very little about him anyway. And his past girlfriends he didn't even tell anybody about. I didn't know if he still had a girlfriend or not throughout our communication.

But I agree with LuvSsw in that he does a lot of the PDA and I do a lot of the talking. I guess I just express my feelings better verbally, and he physically.

It's kind of a "tick" at this point, now, where I don't even know I'm saying it! Hahah!
                  <3

Comment

My SO and I say it a lot. Every day. In emails, text messages or when we talk on Skype. We both love it that way. We always get so mushy. I love it whenever she tells me that I'm beautiful - which she does often. It makes me feel so good and loved. But I guess every person/couple is different.

Comment

people are different when it comes to saying I love you (arent people different in everything? lol)

I guess me and my boy say almost around the same ammount. at the begin of our relationship i felt i was the one who started conversations more, but this changed, i guess now we start conversations around the same ammount too.

I personaly dont like to be complimented that often like every 5 minutes or every half an hour, i dont know how to respond to that. but we do say I love at least twice everyday. if he has no problem with PDA and tell you he loves you, it only makes every i love you or every compliment that much more special as if he said it all the time, you would almost get too used to it, and wouldnt feel as many butterflies as you do when they are a little more spaced out,IMO. it makes it special
                      our story.

sigpic

02.02.2012 - When we got married and closed the distance once and for all

"If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you'll find an excuse."

Comment

I think saying I love you too often causes the phrase to lose its value, even if you mean it. I think it should reserved for the special moments when it's appropriate.

Comment

Listen to "Love like Crazy" by Lee Brice. I agree with that man, especially because you never know how long you're going to be with someone or when you're leaving even if you think it'll be always.
                          "To the world you might just be one person but to one person you might be the world" ~

Comment

Engel Yeah, but I just like hearing it. And maybe more than once! I want to try to calm down the compliments rather than just blindly saying them as I do.

dummy56 I will try to stop saying so often! I just like to hear it from him maybe 1/4 the time that I say it!
                            <3

Comment

Im with NaNi, me and my SO tell each other we love each other daily and frequently. To me it doesn't lose it's meaning if it's true. I don't always every time get butterfly's but it always makes me feel loved and special. I love him so much I can't help say it, and he tells me just as often. So every couple's different. Some just aren't as verbal, doesn't mean they love any less.
                              I love you Nathan <3
                              sigpic
                              5/25/09 <3

Comment

Working...
                              X