Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Broke It Off

Hi Everyone,

I've been in my LDR for about a year, and we've been having a really rough time the past couple of months. I just found myself hurting so badly from everything--crying from missing him, feeling like emotions were not reciprocated, the closure of distance just seemed up in the air forever...just a whole bunch of stuff that I won't list out...

After taking a couple weeks to ourselves, we had a long talk last night about all our issues (my issues--he didn't have any apparently) and in the end I realized none of the issues we were talking about were the real problem anymore. I needed more. I realized my emotions for him ran a lot deeper than his for me, and he made it clear that his weren't going to be growing without us being in the same place. Our definitions of love are different. He loved me, but not the way that I loved him. He kept being in disbelief for how much I cared about him even though we had only seen each other in total for a couple of weeks--Like how could I feel so deeply for someone with only that time?

It's strange because I know he loves me and really cares about me. I feel like he sees things that I don't. He says my love is almost like a highschool love (he said that with the side note that he isn't trivializing it--it's just a diff type). I don't think it is, but maybe I'm wrong---when I love, I love hard, I put every part of myself into it, and it's passionate and intense--but there is also just the enduring feeling of contentment and deep friendship. Maybe I focused too much in seeking love through our romance vs him seeking love through our friendship....I'm just over analyzing now.. I think I'm just worried that maybe I didn't see how much he loved me because his love was more "mature"--looking at the overall picture...and I needed that immediate intense "high school" style love. sigh...

I know it was the right thing to end it. If I continued he would be fine, getting the doses of me that he needed--but where was I left? Feeling horrible that we weren't on the same level.

I love him so much. We ended on good terms. We spoke for a couple hours about everything...he definitely tried to fight to get me back but I've already been down that road twice with him. He doesn't want to lose me as a friend, and I told him that's a possibility once I eventually get over him.

He asked me, "If I move to San Francisco, will you still love me?" (he lives in NYC, and we had both planned to be in sf together). I of course will always love him and have a place in my heart for him--and it may be naive but I hope that one day we find ourselves in the same place and can give it another chance. He told me he would only be ok with us not talking if I made him that promise and was serious about it...and I am.

I'm really devastated by it all. I just feel like we were so close to getting everything we wanted, but circumstances just made it impossible to keep going. I know in reality it's slim that we will be together again, but deep inside I really cling onto that hope. I feel like I just wasn't cut out for long distance if we didn't feel the same way about each other.

I wanted him to love me in a way that he admitted he wasn't capable if we were far away. It sucks.

I'm trying to stay strong...I keep trying to convince myself it was the right thing to do, but it's hard when all I do is miss him and feel like crying my eyes out...It's like my mind knows that it was right, but my heart is shattered and reaching out to him.

Many hugs to you my dear. I'm so sorry to hear of your pain. At times like this it can be hard to pick out the positive in the situation.
    I would like to point out, that you have what appears to be a mutual sense of respect for each other, that remains in place even while faced with this difficult decision. I know it may not dull the pain, but later when you look back on this, I think you will be glad for at least that. When you 'love hard' it can be a challenge to see past the emotions..... enough to make decisions that risk losing the one we are loving so hard. But you were able to..no small feat. Your situation reminds me of a quote from the life coach Iyanla Vanzant, when she explained why she separated from a man that she loved most of her life. She said, "I loved him...but I love myself more". I could learn a thing or two from this. I wish I'd loved myself more than I loved the one who ended up hurting me..because now that I think back....'my emotions ran alot deeper than his for me' as well. And after all of this..somewhere as you said..if it is meant to be..maybe you'll find your way back to each other.....this couldn't be possible without mutual respect.

Comment

-hugs- Its hard to be with someone who doesn't have the same type of love for you.

It took a while for my version of love to mature. I think what he meant with the whole " how can you love someone in such a short amount of time " Is that he was thinking realistically and possibly did not open up his heart as fast for fear of being hurt.

I may be wrong but thats just my opinion.

Do your best to move on for now, its good to hope but don't let that hope consume you. Focus on you and what you want in life, if its meant to happen it will happen. Keep your head up. Things will get better.
      " There is always hope.
      "

Comment

The fact that you were strong enough to realise and do the right thing for your relationship really speaks to your credit. I can imagine it would be hard, but you seem very sure of yourself and your decision so you will definitely be ok. It will hurt but knowing you have done the right thing will help you through it.

Stick in there
        Together since: Feb 23rd 2005.
        First met: June 13th 2006

Comment

*hugs* I'm sorry it had to end.
          However, I agree, knowing it was the right thing to do will make the hurt easier.
          We are all here for you <3

First Met Online: October 2010
          First Confessed Feelings: December 21, 2011
          Became a "Couple": January 7, 2012
          First Meeting: March 9-14, 2012
          Second Meeting: July 16-31, 2012
          Closed the Distance: May 30, 2013
          Engaged!: June 1, 2013
          Picking out wedding dates now!

Comment

So sorry to hear. But at least you took the right amount of steps and time to figure out what you needed and didnt make any rash or quick decisions. We are all here for you hun. HUGS
            Got together Jan 3, 2011~ Closed the Distance March 23, 2012~ Living Together Since June 19 2012~ Future TBD......

I miss you more than I ever could have believed; and I was prepared to miss you a good deal." ~ Vita Sackville-west

Comment

I'm sorry to read your story but I'm also admire you for the brave decision you took on your relationship with him apart from your own feeling towards him. Hope the best to happen with you whatever it will be. *hugs*

Comment

I'm so sorry to hear this. But I think you're a strong person to know when to end a relationship and handle it like an adult. Not everyone can do what you just did. You never know, maybe in a few years things will be different and you'll find you're in each others arms again.

Comment

I am very sorry. Breakups are awful.
                  I wish you strength, and the love of good people around you in this trying time.

Comment

Working...
                  X