Being together for the Summer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being together for the Summer

So I'm sure our circumstances are a bit different than other college LDRs, but we are spending the summer together (he's working, I'm not) before going back to LDR in August. I suspect more than a few college LDRs run this course, too. The summer seems to be flying by and I just can't believe this little bit of time that I have with him before we are separated again is already half over.

So I was wondering. How do you deal with trying to soak up a lot of each other in the limited time you have when school is out? How do you keep every moment precious while you have them near by?

I feel like we aren't doing this so well. Like we're just letting the time slip by unnoticed, while we only have another month and a half of living together (we have been living together for almost 14 months already) before we have to live apart for at least two years. We do go on dates once a week, and I really enjoy spending every night next to him. But I find myself rushing through the days, looking forward to school again. Then, I'll just look at him, and try to memorize his face. Try to remember exactly how it feels to spend time sitting right next to him all day.

Do you guys do this, too?
    Met online: Nov 2010 - Met in person: Nov 20, 2010
    Closed the distance: April 27, 2011
    Accepted to PhD program 200 miles away: March 2012
    LD again: July 24, 2012
    Left School and Closed the Distance for good: March 8, 2013
    Married: November 1, 2014
    Started job 200 miles away: February 23, 2015

My SO works full time every week, and I occasionally work on weekends. This means I don't get a lot of time with him during the week (though hopefully I won't mind it so much since my summer class is starting). We try to make the best of it by spending time with each other after he gets out of work and on weekends. I try to remember how lucky I am to be with him close-distance and to be able to spend time with him (even if it is just for a summer). I have this problem where I have a hard time just being in the moment. I always rush forward to the next thing, the next worry... but I'm trying to take more care to be in-the-moment with my SO, so that I can cherish the time that we get to spend together. And it makes me realize just how much I love him!

sigpic

Comment

My SO and I are living together for the summer. I want to savor every moment; he wants to act like we did at the beginning of our relationship.

He tends to win and honestly it's for the best. If we spend too much time holed up in our apartment, we may kill each other! We both need our alone/friend time.

We have a date night every week and I've been taking a lot of pictures! That helps.

Became a couple: March 17th, 2010
      Started our college long distance relationship: August 2011
      Surprise engagement in Disneyworld! : March 22nd, 2013
      Closed the distance: May 2nd, 2014
      Became his wife and started our happily ever after!: May 17th, 2014

Comment

I'm in the same situation. I'm living with my SO from April to August and then I go back to college. If you spend too much time together you might not go home alive :P I find it particularly difficult during those first few weeks of being together again when you're trying to remember what it's like to spend time with them. Just keep up what you're doing and if you really want to make the time last, stay up late and get up early. There's nothing you can really do other than what you're doing. Hang in there, you'll be fine. But I know your pain, it sucks
        Our Story
        Met on www.chat-avenue.com on December 27, 2010
        Met in person on Decemeber 29, 2010
        Long distance from Jan 2011-March 2013
        Lived an hour away from each other March 2013-June 2013
        Living together June 2013 -August 2013!
        Long distance from Sept 2013 - unknown

Living happily in a monagmish relationship since December 29, 2010

Comment

My SO and I are together for this summer. I'm staying with my mom and he's at home with his parents. He's only about 15 minutes away though, so it's nice to be so close. I'm entering my senior year, and I have no clue what I'm gonna do after I graduate because his program is longer than mine, which means he'll be in school for at most 2 years more than me. I don't know what that will do to our closing the distance/marriage plans but we'll see!

Comment

I think that just tends to happen the longer you're together. I really try not to stress over things like that during long stretches together because my worrying overshadows our time together and makes it less enjoyable. Just relax and enjoy your time together and don't worry about whether or not you are taking this for granted. You are. And that's how it should be to a degree. It's natural.

Comment

Working...
            X